Page 1 of 2
Ok basically I am looking to achieve some clean tones a la most Frusciante, SRV, John Mayer has some good cleans as well. Obviously a lot of tone comes from their fingers, and I think of couple of their tones are achieved with Twin Reverbs which I cannot afford. So basically I am looking at some Fenders, but am not sure which are best at $600. I am looking to buy used but there are so many Fender amps under that price range. How are the Blackface Bassmans? I have actually tried out a couple of the models in my price range, but do not remember how they were as it was years ago. I recently tried out a Hot Rod Deluxe with a Strat, and thought it was pretty good, but I was wondering if I could do better in my price range. Thanks
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

I've seen twin and bassman reissues go for about $600 used, just keep your eyes open.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
You can get a 70s twin reverb on ebay for 600 easy, or the early 90's fender "the twin" which has a gain channel on it. Pretty much fender is the way to go for clean tones.
Quote by IXI Streak IXI
Anything fender. =]

Yeah, obviously Fender makes great amps for cleans, but can anyone be a little more specific. Oh, and another thing I have been trying to figure out for a while - how do the Vox Ac15/30's compare to Fender cleans? I have never gotten to play either of the Vox's but many people swear by their cleans - so what is the difference between that and a Fender clean?
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

any TUBE fender........get blues junior, twin reverb, bassman, deville, hot rod anything they all mostly sound the same in my opinion (at certain volumes) but check them out. guitar center is always loaded with fenders...
and btw....frusciante uses marshall, srv used a fender (soldano very late in his career and john mayer uses two rocks
Yeah I know SRV used a Fender, and despite what many say about Frusciante using a Marshall, it is rumored that he keeps a Fender twin backstage for his actual clean tones - which I think it makes sense as I have never heard that kind of a tone from a Jubillee or a JMP-1 which are the amp + preamp he uses onstage. Arg, I still don't know anything about which Fender though.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Check out Fender's Blues Deluxe. The Hot Rod is based on this amp, but has an extra gain stage that you don't need. I like the sound of it better than the Hot Rod, could be that extra circuitry is muddying up the tone. Probably the best you'll do in your price range new.

If you're willing to venture into the wild world of vintage gear, the Bandmaster is a great, under the radar amp from Fender. I like it better than the Bassman. But you can often find these things in that same $600 range. Just gotta look.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Yeah I am definitely looking at buying used.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

early, pre-Magnavox Ampeg tube amps are widely regarded as some of the finest clean amps with the most headroom. these would include the Ampeg V4, VT-22, and VT-40. i own the VT-40 and it is phenomenal. i even modified it to be used with 6550 tubes (instead of the 7027s it has stock) for even MORE clean headroom. in my opinion, THE best tube amp for cleans for the money. i bought my VT-40 for $450 on eBay. seems like one of their amps is always for sale over there.
An older peavey classic series amp has probably the best cleans ive heard in its price range. I got my 50 watt head for around $350.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

fender twin reverbs are def a high contender. I've seen Mayer playing them at a couple small gigs before and SRV used fenders, Not sure which though. But the twin reverbs are nice stuff. You'll like them, much better then the hot rod devilles imo. And the blues jr shouldn't even be considered at that range.

Otherwise, check some magnavox amps, actually any vintage 60s amp really, a lot of them have really nice clean tones that you'll orgasm over.
Yeah, but I have yet to find a Twin Reverb going for $600. Maybe I just need to look harder? And yeah, I can probably do better than a Blues Jr.s or Peavey Classic in my price range.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

you can usually find a hot rod deluxe on ebay for $400.

$600 new online. Maybe try an ampeg superjet. one clean channel, sounds pretty sweet and jazzy.
Quote by thrice_removed
Yeah, obviously Fender makes great amps for cleans, but can anyone be a little more specific. Oh, and another thing I have been trying to figure out for a while - how do the Vox Ac15/30's compare to Fender cleans? I have never gotten to play either of the Vox's but many people swear by their cleans - so what is the difference between that and a Fender clean?

They are different. Neither is better, and both can do the same styles equally well.

I'd generally take the Fender for blues. But the AC30 has much better overdrive, and the clean rock for blues as well.

I'd say the Vox has chimey cleans and the Fender has sparkly cleans, but this all changes depending on your guitar and your playing style.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Quote by BloodBlooms
early, pre-Magnavox Ampeg tube amps are widely regarded as some of the finest clean amps with the most headroom. these would include the Ampeg V4, VT-22, and VT-40. i own the VT-40 and it is phenomenal. i even modified it to be used with 6550 tubes (instead of the 7027s it has stock) for even MORE clean headroom. in my opinion, THE best tube amp for cleans for the money. i bought my VT-40 for $450 on eBay. seems like one of their amps is always for sale over there.

Agreed, I found my old VT-22 head for a paltry $500 and it has the most God-like (as well as versatile and loud) cleans I've ever heard. Amazing amps and usually very inexpensive on Ebay.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Quote by kaplac
SRV used fenders, Not sure which though.

Vibroverbs; which go for 5000$ now (they were only made for two years), and the reissues cost a bit over 2000$. My uncle has one (an original), the bastard.
while Vox is great, you're not going to get a ton of headroom with an AC model. at 15 or 30 watts, it'll break up way too early to stay clean at loud volumes. SRV played through '59 Fender Bassman 4x10 combos.

i don't know if you need a combo or a head, but you can find silverface Fender Bassman 10s for under $600. also, look at Fender's Vibrolux and Vibro Champ, Music Man's HD130, and i still highly recommend a Ampeg V4, VT-22, or VT-40.
Yeah it sounds like the Fender may work better, because I don't really care much about the overdrive channel as I have other amps that will perform that better. Arg, now I just have to pick one of the millions of new, reissues, and vintage Fenders.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

There really is a wide range of amps that'll do the job for you. Keep an eye on the used market, and get the best deal you can.

I took a quick look at your local Craig's List, and saw a Fender Hot Rod DeVille for $425, a Mesa F-30 (nice cleans!) for $600, a Mesa Nomad for $625, a Fender Bassman head for $400, and a Fender cab for $200. That's just what's up today.

Those guys are begging for your business.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by thrice_removed
Yeah it sounds like the Fender may work better, because I don't really care much about the overdrive channel as I have other amps that will perform that better. Arg, now I just have to pick one of the millions of new, reissues, and vintage Fenders.

ampeg superjet may be the way then. since my last post, I managed to get ahold of one to play on...... OMFG! great cleans, I prefer them to fender'sm but that's just because I prefer more warm, jazzy tones than sparkly fenders.
Quote by slatsmania
Check out Fender's Blues Deluxe. The Hot Rod is based on this amp, but has an extra gain stage that you don't need. I like the sound of it better than the Hot Rod, could be that extra circuitry is muddying up the tone. Probably the best you'll do in your price range new.

+1

alternatively, look at some of the older fenders, as slats also said.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah I liked the Hot Rod Deluxe, but I am definitely ok with going (even if I got a Blues Deluxe I would probably buy used). I still am confused on the tone of the Bassman. It is obviously quite old, and is one of the models I have never gotten to play. Why would anyone choose it over say - a Twin Reverb other than because of the price sticker, as I have seen some in the same range as Twin Reverbs. Ie what is the difference tonally? I guess currently I will look at the Ampeg, Blues Deluxe, Bassman, the Twin, and maybe even that Carvin, but currently the Twin is on top.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Did you click on that link to your Craig's List? There's a Bassman there for $400!

Anyway, the Bassman originated as a bass amp. It's tone is reflective of that, mellow and, well, bassy. I dig the Fender clean sound, but I like it bright and chimey. I plug into the bright side of my amp, and pull the bright knob when I'm playing cleans.

Other people swear by the Bassman. You really need to check it out for yourself.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I have one of the old Ampegs and I love it. All the goodness of Fender clean (Both the Chime and the Shimmer) with added balls and it's own unique voice. Loves pedals too.
Yeah I did check Craigslist and at $400 I am tempted to buy it, but probably shall not as I am not fond of a reallly bassy tone. I want a little more sparkle.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

That's a great price for the Mesa F-30, too. Some of the best cleans Mesa ever produced.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Yeah, but at 30 watts and using it solely for cleans - I figure I might want some more headroom. Also I feel like I would be paying for a lot of features i would not use - since the F-30 is loaded with features - along with a nice distortion, and I would somehow feel bad if i bought it and used it merely for the cleans.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Used Deluxe Reverb reissue?

Vintage Fender Bassman?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Well im sure Frusciante uses a Twin Reverb for cleans when he's recording.....I've seen them go within your price range just keep your eyes open. If not, there are too many great sounding fenders to name, you just have to go out and try them. Also the peavey classic series have a nice clean sound or maybe an AC 15 although they don't have a huge amount of headroom...
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
^He doesn't use them.

Anyway, look around for the amps I suggested and see if you can find some in your price range.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P
^He doesn't use them.

Anyway, look around for the amps I suggested and see if you can find some in your price range.

Didn't he use one in Funky Monks?
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Yeah I think it is probably gonna be a Twin or a Blues Deluxe. I am really concerned about the headroom on the Ac15 and cannot afford the Ac30. I still need to look into those Ampegs though.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

^ The Reverberocket is a cool amp. Definitely worth a look.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Page 1 of 2