Alright,

I have been attempting to get faster on guitar but when I try it sounds sloppy and like shit. I play it slowly and stuff but when I speed it up it sounds bad. Assuming I do a 1234 1234 1234 1234 1234 1234 pattern how many times should I do it at a confortable speed until I take it to the next level. I need more of an approximation than just when you feel comfortable with it. 10? 20? 30? Please enlighten this newb.

Thanks!
Doobs
Use a metronome.

Start at a speed you can comfortably do and then gradually increase it.

If you increase it and you can't keep up without messing up then go back and continue until you can.

Also try mixing up your picking patterns. 1234 1324 1423 etc. & learn some scales.
that's because you're TRYING to play faster. Just practice at the speed you can do at and you'll gradually get faster...and I mean gradual. It's not a case of sitting there doing the 1234 exercise 30 times and you get faster, it takes weeks/months to develop speed whilst maintaining accuracy. Doing the 1234 thing for 10 minutes a day in amongst all your other practicing is a decent enough start.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
And get a metronome.

But most of all...stay classy San Diego

I saw you'd already posted it so i didn't feel the need to mention it again, but you're right of course. That way you can gradually increase the speed over time and know where you're at.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com