Alright, I am just gonna spill the beans. I NEVER play guitar standing up. I am finally ready to, and I kinda suck. I think I've found a good height to wear it at (halfway at the hip), but I sometimes miss the strings or don't hit the proper frets. It kind of feels uncomfortable. Do I just have to get used to it and practice more because after standing up for like 2 minutes, I always have the tendency to want to sit down.
Be cool.
Sit down and tighten your strap so the guitar is the same whether you're sitting or standing.
man up and start practicing while standing. i used to have the same problem u do, but after awhile i actually play better standing. it allow me to move more freely.
Quote by Free
Sit down and tighten your strap so the guitar is the same whether you're sitting or standing.

Yah, but like you should lower it gradually, mainly so that you don't look like a fa g. The only real problem that you will find with standing up, is that when you have the guitar low, you might not be able to easily curl your fingers all the way around the neck without straining them, and it dosen't help to try and get lower with your body to curl them around, simply because the guitar itself will get lower.
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
Practice at it.
When i first started to play while standing up, i set my guitar to as low as it could go. You should try it like that, it might hurt for the first few days but after that, you will wonder how you ever played sitting down.
There's little point in looking cool and playing like shit.

Clapton & Hendrix are Gods, they don't sling their guitars low.
This may sound stupid, but I find if I close my eyes while standing and "feel" the music, I can play better.
Be cool.
Quote by thedude051
This may sound stupid, but I find if I close my eyes while standing and "feel" the music, I can play better.

That does sound pretty stupid, either you have to be a one in a million prodigy to do that or just lucky and happen to play it better, especially since you've been playing for a couple months
"This is The End, beautiful friend, The End"
Quote by i(ncubus)play
That does sound pretty stupid, either you have to be a one in a million prodigy to do that or just lucky and happen to play it better, especially since you've been playing for a couple months

I dunno man. When I do close my eyes and feel the music, I see an image in my head of the fretboard and my hands playing it. Is this bad?
Be cool.
Quote by thedude051
I dunno man. When I do close my eyes and feel the music, I see an image in my head of the fretboard and my hands playing it. Is this bad?

Could be bad. I guess do whatever makes you play better. I have been playing about 3 years and personally need to see the fretboard and what I'm doing
"This is The End, beautiful friend, The End"
HAHAHAHA fukin halrious.

I have no problem playing standing up. For me the problem comes when my hip bone gets sore after a i've played for a bit.

Anyone else have this problem?
Last edited by wonder725 at Mar 9, 2007,
just practise, i played sitting down for about a year and a half and the first time i tried standing i was hopeless, about one week later of nothing but standing and it became second nature, just stick with it
Having your guitar super low is for fags like Tom Delonge. Have it where it's comfortable. I have mine pretty high. Not quite Tom Morello but way up there. I'd rather be able to actually play well than 'look cool' with my guitar dragging on the ground.

Just practice at it and you'll get there. Nothing is as hard as it seems upon first trying.
yea i had the same problem but i just stood up and tried my best and then like a week later it was easier and then after that it just got better and better.
havin ur guitar low doesnt make u cool
look at john petrucci hes a ****in virtuoso and he has his guitar high up
and as said before morello has his so that its like choking him
just work on it man and it will get better
good luck
my gear:
Schecter Damien 6 w/emg's
gibson sg standard
dean performer e acou/elec
ibanez tone blaster=[
ibanez ts7 tubescreamer
boss ds-1
boss sd-1
dunlop crybaby from hell wah
I never had this problem. I'd rather play standing up than sitting down cause I've ALWAYS played standing up... I feel akward when playing sitting down lolll
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Quote by ericgentz
Yah, but like you should lower it gradually, mainly so that you don't look like a fa g. The only real problem that you will find with standing up, is that when you have the guitar low, you might not be able to easily curl your fingers all the way around the neck without straining them, and it dosen't help to try and get lower with your body to curl them around, simply because the guitar itself will get lower.

Wow.. good contribution poser.
Quote by ericgentz

That's why you shouldn't have your guitar low. It will impair your technique. Just adjust your strap so that it's the same sitting or standing.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83