http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/r/red_hot_chili_peppers/scar_tissue_tab.htm

There's the link for the tab...

Ok, so I'm just wondering, how do you know what type of progression the intro is, if it's not in chords and just notes?

Or the interlude, see how he has the names of chords written above the notes

Dm C Dm Em
E-------|------------|----------|--------|-------------|
B-13\10-|-10-(10)----|-10\8--8--|--8\10--|-10-10\12\13-|
G-------|------------|----------|--------|-------------|
D-------|------------|----------|--------|-------------|
A-------|------------|----------|--------|-------------|
E-------|------------|----------|--------|-------------|

See how he has Dm C DM Em written above it?

those notes are C\A A (A) A\G G C\A A A\B\C

No where do I even see the note E or D, so how do you know that a Dm C Dm Em progression?

I know basic music theory, and I've memorized all the natural notes on the fretboard...just lettin you know where I am (and I've been playin 5 years sadly enough)

So can anyone help?
My username is old, don't judge me (but old 311 is good)
Well the tab you are showing is from the Interlude, where John is using a slide, and those chords are played behind it.
Quote by vintage x metal
idk if my vagina can handle all of this at once.

Quote by hazzmatazz
It's a good time too stop when you start ejaculating air, right?

Quote by frankv
I've been raping my left hand
Quote by Squall142
Well the tab you are showing is from the Interlude, where John is using a slide, and those chords are played behind it.

Well the chords still match the solo like in the way it "feels" the progression behind it...ok so lets say the guy didn't know their was rhythm guitar behind that solo, then how would he have figured that that progression was Dm C Dm Em?
My username is old, don't judge me (but old 311 is good)
Well the tab you have linked there says: "Chords above indicate overall tonality
Of measure" so they can figure it out from there, or ask someone like you have. On my Power Tab of the song it has the chords listed at the top and also has a measuring playing them so you can learn about it from there.
Quote by vintage x metal
idk if my vagina can handle all of this at once.

Quote by hazzmatazz
It's a good time too stop when you start ejaculating air, right?

Quote by frankv
I've been raping my left hand
Quote by Three11Rules
Well the chords still match the solo like in the way it "feels" the progression behind it...ok so lets say the guy didn't know their was rhythm guitar behind that solo, then how would he have figured that that progression was Dm C Dm Em?

You make a good point. It would be harder to "hear" the underlying chords if the rhythm guitar wasn't there. However even if it wasn't you'd still have a pretty good argument that it was some sort of D to C progression. If the rhy. guitar wasn't there the two basic notes you'd be hearing would be the D (bass) and A (lead), then C (bass) and G (lead), then back to D and A. Think of what the most common chord tones are: the root, the third, and the fifth. Start by trying to "fit" the individual notes being played into chord(s). In this case, the bass is playing the root, the guitar is emphasizing (i.e. the main note is) the fifth of each chord. Also, bass lines often emphasize the root of each chord, so that's another clue. IOW, it would make more sense to start your detective work by guessing the bass is playing the root of each chord, rather then the third or the fifth.

Now, the above is a simplification. However its kind of how you would work out the undelrying chords. Look at the individual notes that are being played, try to relate it to chords in the key (or chords in the song, if chords have been playing previously)

You can also try the pure guesswork approach, just start playing chords until something sounds right, again you can get hints from what has come previously in the song. For example, again suppose there was no rhy guitar in the interlude, just bass and lead. If you know there was a previous section of the song which used chords Dm - C - Dm, try playing those chords underneath.

Hope the above made sense.
p.s. I didn't include the Em chord, because that's more of a "leading" chord back into the verse, the main chords in the interlude are Dm - C - Dm