Page 1 of 2
So, I've been playing for about a year now, and honestly at this point I really feel like I haven't progessed in a long while. Like, I'm practicing hours a day, but I don't feel as though I am "good" at guitar. I can't even play an enitre song so it's not as if I can "show off " in front of somebody. I kinda just feel as though I'm wasting time and energy into something that'll never pay off. I could get lessons, they're just so expensive... 40 dollars an hour!? I really do love music though, I think it'd be really cool to be in a band with my friends, etc. Maybe I should just quit guitar? Try drummnig? Maybe I just need some motivations? I don't know...

I really, really like it, I'm just no good.
If you feel like you're wasting your time, you probably are. There is no point pursuing something that bores you.
"There but for fortune go you or I"- Phil Ochs
Try more challenging songs. Get into blues. I was in your stage until my dad and I got together, him playing chord progressions on acoustic, me soloing over it on the pentatonic scale, and it sounds damn good. Also helps progress, to solo that much really helps you learn the fretboard and let you know the fretboard better, sort of get get to the point where you know what a note is going to sound like before you play it. That is where you enter a new realm of playing
I'm sure you could find some backing tracks of chord progressions on the internet
"This is The End, beautiful friend, The End"
Well, not being good isn't fun to me...

But, you know what gets me down the most, the fact that everytime someone walks into the room with me playing, they say "Hey, you suck!"

I already know a lot of music theory, I had a wonderful teacher when I was in higschool, and as for guitars and amps and parts, and etc. I know a lot about those too, it's just putting my mine into my hands that's the trouble, if you get what I mean.
Last edited by Gigatiran at Mar 9, 2007,
NO!!! NEver quit!!

Here's my advice, I know EXACTLY what you mean. And everyone goes through it. Just keep going, I suggest you listen to different styles of music and try playing different styles of music...(eg. if yur into rock, try some heavy metal, or vice versa) Im trying that and also...I am trying to focus more on one thing. So for instance, I am trying to learn how to tap. For eruption by Van halen. I used to, (and still do but try not to) work on one song til I got to a hard part, then I qquit and tried another song. I am forcing myself to work on a song til I can play it all the way through with no mistakes...it takes discipline and im not doing REALLY well, but im trying...

thats my advice, and dont ever quit...good luck m8
This is a time in which all guitarists will go through. And if you say you didn't your lying. What like songs can you play, not the whole thing, as you've said, but like riffs. You need settle down and really try to learn the songs take your time too.
Duke Ellington - If it sounds good, it is good.
i know how you feel. just hang in there. you'll get a breakthrough where somethin that you just learned clicks. oh, and by the way try finding cheaper lessons. i get mine for $15 for 30 mins. and that's expensive around here.
Lessons aren't expensive, some people only get lessons for 1-2 hours a day, and once or twice a week.
You have two options:

1. Quit

2. Buy a metronome and practice, practice, practice.

In the short run, quitting will be much more satisfying; however, you'll probably regret it in the long run.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
I just made an edit to a post above, if I can get some advice about that.

As for the songs I've tried to learn, and a lot of these I just get annoyed with certain parts, so I stop playing them.

"Mother Russia" by Iron Maiden- Only learned into and opening riff.
"Miss Murder" by AFI- I can play most of it but I don't get harmonics.
"Morningstar" by AFI- just 1 riff that I really can't play without some buzzing, it just doesn't sound right.
"God Called In Sick Today" by AFI (I'm a big fan!)- the chorus bothers me.
"Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana- The palm muting, etc.
"Straight Edge" by Minor Threat- Actually, I learned the whole song, but it's like 45 seconds long, so not sure if it counts.
Oh you know what... I might try lessons, I have been getting overtime at work...

Why the hell not???
Well, don't quit. Take a break for a while if you want to. Try drums, or anything you want, but don't give up on guitar. If you really love guitar, you'll find it hard to just stop playing.

Good luck with whatever you do.
When you get "annoyed with certain parts" you need to just take a quick breather and then come back to it in a few minutes. Play sloooowly.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
I've taken more than a quick breather, some of these songs (and more) I've been trying to learn for months, but now that I think about it, its really just a certain technique I need to learn...
Quote by Gigatiran
I just made an edit to a post above, if I can get some advice about that.

As for the songs I've tried to learn, and a lot of these I just get annoyed with certain parts, so I stop playing them.

"Mother Russia" by Iron Maiden- Only learned into and opening riff.
"Miss Murder" by AFI- I can play most of it but I don't get harmonics.
"Morningstar" by AFI- just 1 riff that I really can't play without some buzzing, it just doesn't sound right.
"God Called In Sick Today" by AFI (I'm a big fan!)- the chorus bothers me.
"Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana- The palm muting, etc.
"Straight Edge" by Minor Threat- Actually, I learned the whole song, but it's like 45 seconds long, so not sure if it counts.

Wow too be honest I was in the same boat as you when I started, well sort of, If you need help in certain parts or are having trouble just ask us for help it's what here for.

Like what techniques dont you get?
Well first of all where should I keep my strumming hand, it seems like I have trouble hitting the knobs when I play the higher strings.

And also artificial harmonics, I can play them, the only thing is I have to stop and then move the pick into a diffrent position and then play them.

And palm muting does not sound good when I use it.

And maybe my biggest probelm, is finding tabs that are accurate.
Get lessons though seriously. The reason you aren't progressing is because you have bad habits without a doubt that need to be fixed. And if you don't feel you're progressing with him or her, get a new teacher, because it is really obvious when you know you have a good teacher (e.g. improving tremendously in a week or two). It took 4 teachers for finally 1 of em' to tell me to anchor my wrist for god sakes!!!
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
The only thing I hate about the lessons thing is the fact that I only have one choice. There is a guitar store right down the street from my apartment that I COULD get lessons from 20 dollars per half hour. And that's it, I don'r have a car so I can't get anywhere else. Now, I'm not opposed to spending 80 dollars a month on lessons, but... can I learn anything in half an hour?

And, Siciliano comment like that really are unesecarry. (sp?) I'm sorry that you're a 12 year old kid that has nothing better to do than to make fun of people over the internet, but really either give me a real answer or STFU!
Quote by Gigatiran
Well first of all where should I keep my strumming hand, it seems like I have trouble hitting the knobs when I play the higher strings. Knobs? I'm confused there.

And also artificial harmonics, I can play them, the only thing is I have to stop and then move the pick into a diffrent position and then play them. This just takes practice you'll get it, this is normal.

And palm muting does not sound good when I use it. Practice, Practice, Practice.

And maybe my biggest problem, is finding tabs that are accurate. You need to branch out, sure playing your favorite songs is great but since your starting out I suggest you play some cliche songs that have great tabs. Shook Me All Night Long for example has an excellent tab and it's fairly easy.

Seems like you just need to practice, how much do you practice a day would you say?
Some days I put absoulutley no time into because of my job, sometimes I work 8 or more hours in a day. But I'd say on an average day about 2 hours, so maybe 15 hours a week.

And btw, I'm 18, so don't think I'm some old guy please!
Quote by Gigatiran
Some days I put absoulutley no time into because of my job, sometimes I work 8 or more hours in a day. But I'd say on an average day about 2 hours, so maybe 15 hours a week.

And btw, I'm 18, so don't think I'm some old guy please!

No your average lol. You need to be consistent with your guitar you can't just not practice for a day or two and then practice for 3 hoursthe next day, that really declines your learning. Even just an hour a day is better than that.
Quote by LightningRider
It took 4 teachers for finally 1 of em' to tell me to anchor my wrist for god sakes!!!

Anchoring is bad
Quote by John Mayer

UG 83
Quote by Gigatiran
What does that mean?

When you put your pinky and/or ring finger on the pickguard and use them to anchor your picking hand over the strings to pick, it generally restricts you from playing to your full potential or so I believe.
Quote by Anything Goes
When you put your pinky and/or ring finger on the pickguard and use them to anchor your picking hand over the strings to pick, it generally restricts you from playing to your full potential or so I believe.

I actually taped my pinky and ring finger to my middle finger so I couldn't anchor and broke myself of the habit. Everyone who has watched me progress from my first live song has noticed how much better I've gotten.
Quote by John Mayer

UG 83
Just keep playing, as mentioned, we all go through a time and ask our selves..."Have I even progressed at all? What do I do now?". You'll find something to do.
Take a break listen to some music and what do you mean paying off?
Play for the love of the music not for a future at money.
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
There's palm muting in Smells Like Teen Spirit?

As for improving, try playing with some mates. That certainly seems to have helped me.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
You're right there isn't palm muting in that song I just put those two thoughts together, any kind of muting, I can't do it.

And by paying off, I mean I want someone to hear me play and say wow, you're awesome! And if I could get paid to do that, I'd be happy forever. The money is just an incentive.
I would definitely suggest getting a teacher, without one you will take ages to make any progress.
If you take a few lessons and then start getting better, try and find some stuff you want to learn.
I myself didn't learn any full songs until I started learning metallica. And even now, I only know enter sandman, everything else is intros or certain parts of the song.
And DW dude, i've been where you are too, it gets boring, it gets hard, but you get past it...
Eventually.

And I anchor... Although I can also play normally. Depends on what strings I play on, and I can swap between them fairly easily.
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo
Ok, my one question about that was can you make any real progess in half an hour?
Yes, you can make quite a bit of progress in half an hour, but then again it depends on what you're doing. With my teacher, I'm learning some more challenging stuff than what I have been before, so it's taking a bit longer, but it is very helpful to have a teacher to check your progress and correct you along the way.
If you have friends who already play or have had lessons, learn what you can from them, if you find it doesn't help, then try a teacher.
Answer your question?
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo
Well if you really want to quit, then put away your guitar and amp, and leave it for a bit. Then find something you really want to do, find some huge inspiration, and get right back into it.

Anyway, i'm off for dinner now.
Catch ya, i'll keep an eye on this thread.
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo
Same thing happened to me...

Take a rest, come back a couple months later and you'll want to play guitar all over again. This time, find some motivation and just keep practicing, it happens to everyone.

But hey, if it's not for you, then you can quit. Nobody is making you do it! But still, the guitar is supposed to be something enjoyable and fun, don't make it something you have to slave over.

Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Page 1 of 2