In you own opinions, what makes shred shred ?

(I did some searching, and didn't find anything on this... sorry if it's been done before)

(Where the Fick did I get the "a" from? LMAO!)
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Last edited by Outside Octaves at Mar 9, 2007,
You mean shred. Well it's really fast technical stuff that by the end of the first 2 second you have no fingers left.

Shred is a lot of the time unemotional and crap. But then there's Satch, Vai, Malmsteen, Becker, Friedman, Gilbert who all can get as much emotion out of one note as they can 200 notes.

There are too few shredders that are good. I personally consider Al Dimeola a shredder too.

A bad shredder i've noticed either plays covers (badly or good) or they only play scales and minor arpeggio's. Good shredders can utilise many aspects of music and create great pieces.

Paganini was a hell of a shredder also. He started it all.
Last edited by Mattalac at Mar 9, 2007,
Shread, heh.

I'd just say the technicality of the playing and the speed. If it involves economy picking and alternate picking, and other techniques, and high speeds...
you will fight death as you slowly realize...
what is this shread u speak of? enlighten me...

anyways if u mean SHRED... i think shred is like a lot of other types of metal but more technical guitar playing is involved, and thier are no words =P... a lot of them are criticized for putting no emotion into thier music such as cooley or MAB but like the other guy said; vai, satch, becker thier all crazy good shredders but know how to keep it from going overboard while keeping a great sense of melody into the songs
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by C.C. Deville
what is this shread u speak of? enlighten me...

anyways if u mean SHRED... i think shred is like a lot of other types of metal but more technical guitar playing is involved, and thier are no words =P... a lot of them are criticized for putting no emotion into thier music such as cooley or MAB but like the other guy said; vai, satch, becker thier all crazy good shredders but know how to keep it from going overboard while keeping a great sense of melody into the songs

Who says you can't have words in a shred song?
My favorite definition of shred is: having no physical limitations to what you can play on your guitar.
Blind to Boundries, lost to limitation, it is music with endless possibilities. The artist can use whatever means neccesary to say what can not be said with words. That is shred.
Quote by DeathDealer
you people are daft

"You rise as high as your dominant aspiration, you descend to the level of your lowest concept of yourself. Free your mind and your ass will follow." Funkadelic

Member #7 of the Peavey is Amazing Club
Shred

Playing the guitar with a high level of technicality, which includes speed, accuracy, compsitional creativity....... and even emotion......

Dudes like Cooley, MAB, well... you get what I mean...... are just "wankers" IMO... !!!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!