Are you tapping hard enough? Do the strings go muted in the same way when you play normally? What kind of bridge do you have?
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Sounds like just a problem with technique, pluck the string and tap your finger down hard, make sure it's near the end of the fret or else you could squelch it with some buzz, and hold the constant pressure or else it will be muted as well.

As long as you put your finger down in the right spot hard enough and mantain the pressure you should be fine.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
How old are your strings? Maybe you need a new set.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
they're like 1+ year old, i boiled them last night and put in some toilet cleaner (yeah i like to experiment) and when i put em back on, they sounded clearer, and had that "piano" like tone. but ive used the same technique for ages and its never been like that. the bridge is the same one on p-basses
Water+metal isn't a good idea; even though it restores the effect temporarily, heating up metal like that weakens it considerably. You should try using denatured alcohol.

But then again, maybe your strings are all boiled out. After 1+ years, I can't see the harm in getting a new set.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..