I know that having a b7 in a chord adds tension but what other intervals add tension???
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
kk... so b5 and b7 are the only "tension" intervals??
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance

I'm asking which intervals create tension... I know b7 does and coffeeguy9 told me that b5 added tension too... any others?? or only those 2 ???

---EDIT---
Does 9,11,13,bb7,b3 add tension?? yes/no to each of them please!

Quote by Resiliance

The dominant chord adds a lot of tension. So does going out of key.

Try this with a piano; Slam on the keys anywhere on the piano, and then play a slow C arpeggio. It will resolve well.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
yeah, going out of key

chords thatll add a lot of tension:

b2, b5, b7(or 7 depending on circumstance, like harmonic minor)

and i suppose, though im not sure, that some extended chords would add definite tension, stuff like

A11

because the 11th, in relation to the 3rd, the 11th being the same as 4th, would add tension, stuff like that
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Here's the best way that I can explain things:

In the major scale, the avoid note is the 4th degree of the scale. In the key of C major, F is the avoid note. If you're playing in the key of C, any chord containing the F note is considered a chord of tension; any of the rest of the diatonic chords (those that contain only notes from the C major scale) can be considered points of rest.

The 7th chords in C are:
Cmaj7 (C-E-G-B)
Dm7 (D-F-A-C)
Em7 (E-G-B-D)
Fmaj7 (F-A-C-E)
G7 (G-B-D-F)
Am7 (A-C-E-G)
Bm7b5 (B-D-F-A)

In the key of C major, Cmaj7, Em7, and Am7 are chords of rest.
Hence, Dm7, Fmaj7, G7, and Bm7b5 are chords of tension.

If you were to alter any of the notes in the chords of rest, they would become chords of tension since the note wouldn't be from C major. In the case of extension, it depends on what extension you're using.

Cmaj9 contains (C-E-G-B-D), in theory, which doesn't contain F so it remains a chord of rest. Cmaj11 contains (C-E-G-B-D-F), in theory; since it contains F, it becomes a chord of tension, and it also sounds bloody disgusting, so it is almost never used. Cmaj13 contains (C-E-G-B-D-A); notice that I've left out the F even though, in theory, Cmaj13 contains all 7 notes of the C major scale; Cmaj13 is a chord of rest.

Em7b9 contains (E-G-B-D-F), in theory; it contains F so it would be a chord of tension. Em11 contains (E-G-B-D-A), in theory; no F, so it's a possible to rest on it. Minor 13th chords are never used as far as I know.

Am9 contains (A-C-E-G-B); no F so it's a chord of rest. Am11 is also a chord of rest, since it doesn't contain the F; (A-C-E-G-B-D).

I hope that helps. If you have any problems with it, just ask.
#9, b9, #5, b5 are really the MAIN tension-adding degrees in chords.

A #4 can add tension, but it can be a good tension if used properly. It can also create not-so-good tension (good if thats the sound you're looking for), if used another way.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Last edited by 6DgOfInTb at Mar 9, 2007,
Quote by titopuente
Am11 is also a chord of rest, since it doesn't contain the F; (A-C-E-G-B-D).

I hope that helps. If you have any problems with it, just ask.
Am11 has an 11, which is enharmonic to 4. Which is F. So, is that an error or it's just that I didn't understand correctly?

Quote by Resiliance

Quote by hurlyz
Am11 has an 11, which is enharmonic to 4. Which is F. So, is that an error or it's just that I didn't understand correctly?

F is the 4(11) in the C major scale. In the A major scale, 4(11) is D. So Am11 is A C E G B D, which does not contain F, the 4(11) in the C major scale. So I'm guessing it's because it doesn't have the F in the C major scale, it doesn't cause tension being used with the chords in C major, but if you were to use it with the chords in A major, it would cause tension.

Just guessing
Last edited by kirbyrocknroll at Mar 9, 2007,
oh kk... thanks kirby!

so basically, tension = 4(11) and out-of-scale notes..??? that's all???

Quote by Resiliance

side note:

you usually see major 13th chords written like

E13(#11)

the 11th is often raised because of the tension between 3 and 4
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by EZLN libertad
side note:

you usually see major 13th chords written like

E13(#11)

the 11th is often raised because of the tension between 3 and 4

The 3 and the 4 clash together. So the lydian is a perfect scale. But, with minors, the b3 and the 4 work well.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by bluesrocker101
The 3 and the 4 clash together. So the lydian is a perfect scale. But, with minors, the b3 and the 4 work well.

It wouldn't be normal lydian, though, I think it'd be lydian dominant.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
It would depend on the chord.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??