What would be the best pick width for playing metal? It might sound retarded but im a frsutrated noob , what size do you use?
just get one free from Guitar Center
doesn't matter if u're sounding retarded but a frustrated noob...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
whatever you prefer, really, i would say medium to thick picks... somewhere around .65 to .80 mm
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
I am a fan of the 1mm ones, even sometimes the 1.14mm are good.
Just to change it up.
As they said above, it's really personal preference.
you've been on a guitar site since '04 (obviously because you play guitar) and you're a noob? Is that possible? and for ur question try medium jim dunlops
Quote by Metallica!
you've been on a guitar site since '04 (obviously because you play guitar) and you're a noob? Is that possible? and for ur question try medium jim dunlops

I've been playing bass for 2 and a half years and registered when i started playing. Im used toplaying with my fingers, and with four strings
Thin picks are generally used for strumming, usually on acoustic guitar. There are cases where heavy metal bands will use thin picks. Scorpions lead guitarist uses thin picks. Heavy picks are usually used for jazz, where you need very clean precise notes. Medium picks fall somewhere between the two. I tend to go a little heavier than medium.
Quote by fourstringpunk
I've been playing bass for 2 and a half years and registered when i started playing. Im used toplaying with my fingers, and with four strings

oops should have thought about that before i said anything sorry
Tortex 88's
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
picks are about $0.25 each, save up some money and buy one of each to make a decision on your own.

thicker picks make a warmer darker sound though so that sounds metal to me.
It's cool duder.

Im using a 1mm at the moment but im gunna experiment with different widths tomorrow.

Crit my playing by the way (sig) playing Funeral Thirst. I only got my guitar 2 weeks ago so I dont think it's too bad.
1MM should be fine...
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
I use a 3mm stubby from dunlop. and sometimes a 1.5 Gator Grip. And then other times a 1mm from Fender, and then sometimes a .88 first act, then sometimes a .50mm fender....so really whatever feels right at the time, or style.
I'm hungry.
depends, if you play really really fast stuff you will probably wanna use a very thin pick just cause it has lots more flex. if its just like fret cords u can go with a thick. but overall id go with thin for metal thats what i use. (trivium and a7x)
Well, a heavier (thicker) pick will sound heavier, but a lighter pick will help with those blindingly fast metal solos.

So it's whichever is easier for you to use.

=/

Quote by ConfusedBirdman
I use a 3mm stubby from dunlop. and sometimes a 1.5 Gator Grip. And then other times a 1mm from Fender, and then sometimes a .88 first act, then sometimes a .50mm fender....so really whatever feels right at the time, or style.

3mm? Holy crap.
R E G G A E
complete personal prefence...

that said I use something between 2mm, 1.50mm and 1.12mm

depends on which I'm playing and my mood...

Quote by '
AG[ Scott']depends, if you play really really fast stuff you will probably wanna use a very thin pick just cause it has lots more flex. if its just like fret cords u can go with a thick. but overall id go with thin for metal thats what i use. (trivium and a7x)
Opposite of that. Thicker picks are better for playing fast and thinner better for chords. Thicker picks have a better tone and a better release, and they just kick thin picks' asses in pretty much every aspect apart from acoustic strumming tbh.

I use Dunlop Jazztone 205s. They're roughly 2mm.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
i recommend ones between .6 and 1 mm for solos and shit....
Personally, I prefer thin picks; but that means thin, solid and inflexible metal picks. If it's something like tortex or whatever, maybe 1-1.5mm I use. Try for the most inflexible one at first, and give it a try, then try something more flexible.
Quote by MrCarrot
Opposite of that. Thicker picks are better for playing fast and thinner better for chords. Thicker picks have a better tone and a better release, and they just kick thin picks' asses in pretty much every aspect apart from acoustic strumming tbh.

This would also be my mentality. I use Dunlop Jazz 3s for everything, and I don't have a problem, but it really is almost entirely personal perference, apart from if you think playing fast requires very thin picks.....
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
I cast my vote for 1mm Dunlops. Those are my preference anyways and i tend to lean towards a metal style of music.
Quote by MrCarrot

second that.
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm. I use them to play everything, from clean stuff to high gain soloing.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS