can anyone tell me what to count in my head for: dotted quarter notes, dotted eight notes and dotted sixteenth notes. Also, how do you count a quarter note or eight note beamed to a pair of sixteenth notes? Thanks
Quarter: 1 &. This is out of 1e&a2. Thats how u count 16th notes in a bar. So quarter is just 1 &, eight is 1e, and 16th is... i dont know, just play a touch slower, or if u know how fast a 32 would be in that tempo, there u go
im not sure what your asking but i can try to help

are you asking like how in quarter notes its 1-2-3-4 or eight notes doing 1&2&3&4&
Okay, the rule for dotted notes is that a dot will increase the length of a note by half of the value of the note.

In 4/4 time, a quarter note gets 1 beat. So a dotted quarter note would get 1 and a half beats. You could count "1-and-2," so the very next available place for a note would be the "and" of the second beat.

An eighth note gets 1/2 beat in 4/4 time, so a dotted eighth note would get 3/4 of a beat. It's equivalent to 3 sixteenth notes, and sixteenth notes are counted "1-e-and-uh-2-e-and-uh..etc," so you could count it "1-e-and." The next available place for a note would be the "uh" of the first beat.

A sixteenth note gets 1/4 of a beat in 4/4 time, so a dotted sixteenth note would be the equivalent of three 32nd notes. I'm not aware of a set way to count 32nd notes but you could make them like "1-e-and-uh-and-e-and-uh-2-e-and-uh-and-e-and-uh...etc", so just follow the pattern.

There are two different combinations of an eighth note tied to two sixteenth notes. If the eighth note is first, you would count it "1-(pause)-and-uh-2-(pause)-and-uh...etc." If the sixteenth notes are first you would count them "1-e-and-(pause)-2-e-and-(pause)...etc". I've never seen a quarter note tied to two eighth notes before, but I hope I answered all the rest of your questions.
Quote by Ricky Himself
Also, how do you count a quarter note or eight note beamed to a pair of sixteenth notes? Thanks

Let's say you find it at the beginning of a measure. Let's say it's an eigth note beamed to a pair of sixteenth notes.

So you would count:

1 e and a

Red=Eigth note duration
Blue=sixteenth note duration
Bold=when you play the note.