les paul (epiphone i'm guessing) is much better quality than squier.

squier uses single coil pickups. LP uses humbuckers (two coil)

squiers are built cheaply and have a horrible quality, and in my opinion, not even worth it.
Different shape, sound, playability etc.

In my opinion, out of those two, go for the Squier. My Squier sits for months without use and doesn't go out of tune or have any problems.

But a better bet is save up a bit more and get an Epiphone Les Paul Standard.
R E G G A E
Les Paul

It's true that the Squier is hard to get out of tune but the sound quality and quality of the features (my switch stopped working after half a year) is far below the quality of the Epi Les Paul. You might also take a look at the Epiphone Les Paul LP-100... Good quality, light weight although you doesn't hear it and looks nice
Quote by JvL
Les Paul

It's true that the Squier is hard to get out of tune but the sound quality and quality of the features (my switch stopped working after half a year) is far below the quality of the Epi Les Paul. You might also take a look at the Epiphone Les Paul LP-100... Good quality, light weight although you doesn't hear it and looks nice

All the features of mine are still fine after nearly 2 years.
R E G G A E
Then you're lucky ...
I know 5 people that started on a Squier of which 3 had to buy a new guitar cause the squier stopped working (including me that makes 4 people)