Poll Options
View poll results: tortoise shell tele jr pickguard or no pickguard
pickguard
102 39%
no pickguard
162 61%
Voters: 264.
Page 1 of 4
well everyone, im back. ive started refinishing my carve top and am nearly finished. as for new projects, this is one. this is another guitar for myself. hopefully one that will spawn a few more guitars. i have talked about it before in my other telecaster thread but this is pretty much the final spec as i have already bought wood and have had a lot of time to think about how i want the guitar to look and play.

its going to be a telecaster

-bolt-on neck
-solid sitka spruce body (possibly chambered but doubt it)
-one piece cocobolo neck (rear routed truss rod, headstock face adjustment)
-pyro-burst with satin tung oil finish
-dual action truss rod
-sperzel tuners
-gotoh 510 tom bridge w/ string through
-bone nut
-brass fretwire
-brass inlay (barbwire "bracelet" around neck @ 12th fret)
-brass headstock inlay
-gold hardware
-bare knuckle pickups (worn black covers w/ gold pole pieces)
---BKP-90 (neck)
---BKP-92 or pig-90 (bridge)
-2 volume, 1 tone, 3way

its going to have les paul construction with a top and back so all the routing is internal. this gives me the option to have a pickgaurd or not. so that what the poll is for.

(keep in mind that i cant put my exact ideas into kisakae so add brass inlays and frets in your head)

ill be starting on it soon.
with,
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

If you insist on making it tortoise, then I'd say no. If you could go for a B/W/B, then yes. Sweet design either way.
here is the pyro-burst (color from the picture is a little off, its not nearly that orange)

here is the giant block of sitka spruce $90 CAD

here is the cocobolo $180 CAD (i will get 2 necks out of this blank though)

Do the pickguard, it's so small so you can see the nice finish anyway

and I noticed that you are building it with spruce. I'm hoping to build a guitar with spruce around easter with a friend, how much resarch have you done about it? How's the weight/tone?
thanks!!
Clear if any pg.

Plus, isn't brass a bit gritty?
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Why not give the guitar a brass nut instead of a bone one? Or a zero fret. A zero fret would be badass.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
no pickgaurd, it's very akward looking

btw that neck wood, cocobolo you say... never heard of it

is it bright or warm? and is that for the fretboard and the neck, or just the neck?

EDIT just reread your first post, it's both right? and what are you pluggin in the rear rout with? same wood?
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
wow amazing!
I say without PG, looks weird.
should be one interedting mix, cocobolo and spruce.
btw isn't cocobolo poisonous?
strat player forever.
^ Only the dust. I wouldn't worry, I've seen Mutated's hairy arms in some pictures and it's natural to assume he's manly enough to not die from the dust. Or he's smart enough to wear a mask. Probably both.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

I say a pickguard. Telecasters are just not complete without them.
My gear
Fender Bullet Reverb Amp
Foxxe Strat Copy
I Guitar Hero
be careful cutting the cocobolo!
wear a mask when working with it, the dust is very fine and its poisonous so dont screw with it without a mask on!
yay a BKP fan!!
Quote by sg255
This fine fellow speaks the truth.

Quote by GD_GC
dude sonic music??? you're my hero!

Quote by tanglewoodguit
Love you

Quote by Jackolas
Is the body wood going to be smooth or is it going to be textured like the Gibson BFG? From the pic, I couldn't tell if it's the grain or something ala BFG.

Whether it's the grain or not, and I know lots do not like the BFG; but, consider doing a combo of the BFG texture and the Tele Aerodyne (contoured top + binding).

I like it with the pickguard.

Oh and this thread mislead me.

I thought it was gonna be "Mutated Tele" not "Mutated's Tele"
Sent from my iPad.
the only reason i want a pick guard on it is becaues spruce is really soft and the body would get pretty worn out. a clear pickguard isnt a bad idea. as for how it will look, just think of the face of most acoustic guitars then with "toasted" edges not burnt black, just toasted. then it gets an oil finish so the body and neck are going to be super smooth.

cocobolo is a kind of rosewood and is a really decent alternative to brazilian rosewood. cord suggested it to me after i wanted to use madagascar rosewood.

as for gritty brass are you talking about the frets?
Sweet, you live in Calgary. We'll have to jam after you finish the build. Teles ftw!
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
i own a BFG ippon, its the only modern gibson i would buy.

the tele is going to b thickness sanded completely smooth with an eighth inch radius around all the edges
with pickgaurd but differant than that
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.
Idea!

If you're going to make it reliced, try to do something like Jaco's bass. Give it a J-bass-esque pickguard, then take if off so you get a bit of an outline. Leave the metal plate too.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

yeah and leave the bridge pickup cavity(or neck) empty like JACO!
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.

Like the first one. The second is what you can do with the pickguard should you choose to leave it there. The last two are different thinline tele pickguards.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

no pickguard, that finish will be sexy

and that build looks nice, that cocobollo (or w/e) wood is sexy

and im glad to see you almost finished refinishing your carved top
the one with the J pickguard is the nicest but it covers WAAAAY too much grain of that nice pyroburst so I don't think its worth it...

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
i like the idea of leaving holes from a pick guard. but i dont want the knobs mounted on any plates or pickguards. im barely a fan of a standard tele pick guard and i think the jr pick guard left most for the the wood visible. although it is totally custom to have a tele with p bass pickguard im not so sure if i'd do it
go with the 2nd one, that is an awesome mix with a mustang
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
with pickguard either this shape
http://www.warmoth.com/pickguards/pickguards.cfm?fuseaction=pickguards_tele_hybrid
or this one
http://www.warmoth.com/pickguards/pickguards.cfm?fuseaction=pickguards_tele_thinline
i like the tortoise but i think warmoths black pearl pickguard would complement it better. Or at least get a clear one to protect it

hmm i'd go with either two or four.

on another note where do you get your wood from?
Quote by sg255
This fine fellow speaks the truth.

Quote by GD_GC
dude sonic music??? you're my hero!

Quote by tanglewoodguit
Love you

Quote by Jackolas
ok guys none of the pickguards you are showing me arent available for a neck p-90, find one with a neck p-90 and i might use it, but for now i think im going to stick with a clear jr pick guard or none at all
http://www.warmoth.com/pickguards/pickguards.cfm?fuseaction=pickguards_tele_hybrid Tele hybrid, Warmoth will cut a p-90 for you.
http://www.warmoth.com/pickguards/pickguards.cfm?fuseaction=pickguards_tele_thinline Thinlines, again Warmoth can do a p-90.

How hard would it be to cut your own hole in a pickguard for a p-90, anyways?
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

not hard at all haha i just made up a lame reason to not use those pickguards, cuz really, i'd be routing a p-90 in a jr pickguard too :P
Page 1 of 4