i "inhereted" an old carvin full stack bass amp. it has a peavey poweramp on it. what the hell does a poweramp do, what are they for, and how do i plug into it and plug it in the cabs?
you should have a preamp where you plug the instrument in, then that has a cable to connect the output to the poweramp's input, if they are seperate units. The preamp takes your instrument level signal, and shapes it with tone controls for the line level poweramp input. The poweramp is what actually has the juice needed to power the speaker cabinet. It goes bass ->preamp->poweramp->speakers/cabinet
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Does the pre amp go to PA head then to speakers? Im not sure about this. I only use my PA for vocals =/
the actual carvin head is a separate unit than the poweramp. if i use the poweramp do i need to use the carvin head at all? tonight at practice we plugged the bass into the poweramp then the direct out of the poweramp to the input of the carvin head then the head to the cabs. we had more tone control that way but do i need to even use the head?
normally, you would be using the direct out or preamp out of a head into a poweramp, just so the head's preamp can power more speakers, essential for bass. If your head is powering speakers, it has it's own poweramp.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids