for the past 7-8 months ive been using a valvetronix ad50vt.
i play mostly hardcore/death metal/grindcore (ect. ect)
and the vox has never been that great for my type of music.
i finally got a good distortion pedal (line 6 uber metal)

but now im finally stepping my setup up a notch and buying a peavey 6505, with a mesa dual recto 4x12 cab.
and im putting thought into trading my vox in for a different amp one that i can transport, and pretty much just practice on, one with headphone input, and one that is actually good for hardcore as in has great gain, and not as shitty digitally sounding as my vox.

i was thinking along the lines of a roland cube, which i saw in the store and was trying out the other day.
im not sure though.

any info on small amps would be appreciated.

i also saw something about the roland microcube.
does anyone know how loud the microcube can get?
and if it is worth buying?
A cube would be good for what you're wanting, but not good for anything else.

The Vox should be fine for distorted stuff though, especially if you have a decent pedal.
...and I feel nothing, am I better yet?
There needs to be sticky on the topic relating to this but here I go again... Replace the tube in your Vox with a Mesa tube, and it will make the higher gain models sound much much much much better that they do now. It will also enhance the lower gain models, but it make the amp sound much better for hig gain settings, my main complaint. I don't know about for death metal, but I wasn't aware you needed anything special to get a that kind of tone. Anyway, replace the tube, and there will be a large increase in volume, gain quality, and general awesomeness.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Peavey Classic 30, arround the same price as AD50, but its all tube.

Push it with an OD pedal and can get nice metal tones. That, and the Epi Valve Junior are pretty much the best bang/buck for all tube practice amps
1981 Marshall JCM800 2203
Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier 2 Channel
Sobbat Drive Breaker 1
Quote by SG Man Forever
There needs to be sticky on the topic relating to this but here I go again... Replace the tube in your Vox with a Mesa tube, and it will make the higher gain models sound much much much much better that they do now. It will also enhance the lower gain models, but it make the amp sound much better for hig gain settings, my main complaint. I don't know about for death metal, but I wasn't aware you needed anything special to get a that kind of tone. Anyway, replace the tube, and there will be a large increase in volume, gain quality, and general awesomeness.

He's not even asking about that....is he?

Roland Microcube, buddy. I've played with one long before and it was a cute little amp.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
He's wanting to step up his setup, so in essence SG Man Forever is on the right .

As he's wanting a high-gain model..... to make a vox high-gain, all u need to do really is change out the power tubes from the vox defaults to rectofriers (intentionally misspelled, u english fecking stuck-ups!)
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
If your gonna push the amp with a pedal, get a fender pro junior, all tube, el84, volume, tone and thats it. Pure tone, 16 watts.Breaks up nice with volume. $300 new. No pedal, get a Mesa subway rocket used. About $450 with 2 distortions, one mega. 15 or twenty loud watts.
IMO you should get a pignose. It has the gain for classic metal, and I think that with high output pickups you could get newer metal. But a 7-100 and a 7-band EQ. that will be good.

It's not good for clean, but it is fun to play, and great sounding. I love mine.

EDIT: no headphone out, sorry man. Still great amp, though.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.