So I was at my friends house today jamming... and for some reason my amp seemed strangely quiet. Which was really strange considering it's a hundred watts of pure valve thunder.. So I turned it up to about 9 and I was like "Wow, now this is what I'm talking about."

So I was wondering if this is a good thing... considering I can now withstand higher volumes or if my amps just broken and not pumping the same amount of juice it used to.

Especially considering a few months ago when I first got it I could barely stand to have the thing at 2.
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
What amp is it? A 100W valve amp should be giving you hearing problems at 9.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Hmm, cable connection? Dieing valves? Maaster volume control? Guitar volume control? Or prehaps you have gone almost totally deaf?
When were the tubes last replaced?
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
One of your power tubes probably blew, effectively halving the wattage.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
I'm not sure about the tubes because I checked it and they're all glowing...

Do you think it could be a preamp valve? I've been having problems with those since I first got the thing.
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Quote by Kurapica
What amp is it? A 100W valve amp should be giving you hearing problems at 9.

What about if the guitars volume is way down?
check the tubes, I'd bet 20 bucks it's a tube problem. Losing output is an indication of a bad preamp tube.
Quote by Der Bomber
What about if the guitars volume is way down?

no that would be a pretty obvious fix.

mmm I'm going to try switching out all the preamp tubes and see if that would do the trick.

Does it have an FX loop? Something plugged into the output that's not coming back in?
Quote by xifr
One of your power tubes probably blew, effectively halving the wattage.

surely that'd still be loud as hell...

my guess is it could be tubes, or could be some of the pots have crapped out, or something like that.

I dunno. you shouldn't be able to take 100 watts in an enclosed space easily at all. even 50.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i dont think swapping the preamp tubes will change anything
if anything's wrong with the tubes, its the poweramp tubes

thats just what i think....

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Jimmy94
check the tubes, I'd bet 20 bucks it's a tube problem. Losing output is an indication of a bad preamp tube.

Ok you're on!

Not that I have any knowledge of what might be wrong. Nor do I care if I'm totally honest. But I'm steaming drunk and therefore I'll take you on...
Quote by The Casualty
Valve amps usually don't shine unless they're at about 6 or higher.

Hmmm, even if 99.999999999999997% of the world agree with you, how does it help????!!??
After you guys help him, can somebody tell me what a tube or valve is?
Once at my drummers house this same thing happened to me. Turned out for some reason the one outlet was supplying enough power to any electronic device we tried plugging into it. The next day it was fine.
Quote by SathiaSun
After you guys help him, can somebody tell me what a tube or valve is?

it's an old amplification (or rectification) device- basically, a glass bottle that looks like an elongated light bulb (though they all have different shapes, and some were made of metal), that encloses a vacuum and several electrodes. They've been superceded by transistors and silicon diodes (and microchips/integrated circuits) in almost every type of electronics circuit, except for audio applications, where valves sound a bit more "natural"- also, these audio circuits tend to be pretty simple, so the extra size and weight of valves isn't too much of an issue. Added to the fact that to make a solid state (transistor) amplification circuit sound even half natural, you have to add in a pile of extra circuitry to do what a valve/tube does naturally, so there isn't much in it in terms of weight anyway.

tubes and valves are the same thing, by the way- americans call them tubes, brits call them valves.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?