OK folks, here's the deal. I play electric guitar in my church's youth worship band. Up until now I've been using a Crate 2x12 solid state that has some so-so effects and amp models built in; however, I just got my Epiphone Valve Jr. head and I'm saving up for a new cab, so bye bye Crate. Thing is, I use a effects on a bunch of songs and I'll need to buy some stompboxes to replace the effects I'm losing by selling the Crate. Here are the effects I need, in order of most used.

Distortion (I don't need metal distortion here. Just some fuzz and/or crunchy...ness)

Chorus

[EDIT: I'll put off the flanger for now]

My budget is $100-$150. Thanks in advance!
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
Last edited by auranos at Mar 10, 2007,
sounds like you need an overdrive pedal.

overdrive pedals are designed to imitate the sound of a tube amp that's breaking up. i have a boss superoverdrive pedal, and it rocks.
Boss SD-1 or DS-1
Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff/Big Muff
other Electro Harmonix Pedals. =D
Quote by Sonicxlover
Obviously we should play the UG theme.

ULTIMATE GUITAR! YOO GEE!?
I reckon a BD-2 Blues Driver, it's got more dirt than the other Boss overdrives which would be handy for an amp like the VJ which is only single channel. I like the OD3 personally, but it seems to divide people on UG so the best bet is just to try them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i dont think 150-200 for 3 effects will get you far..
anyway i like my ds-2 although its quite noisy(at higher volumes and a spider2)
getting my electric mistress flanger in a week or so.
Probabley for distortion You will want a Boss Blues Driver (great pedal and can take a punishing) Or if you can find it an Ibanez Slam Punk, it sounds like it would not do it but it has a nice Mid boost to it and sounds like a overdriven 60s marshall.

For Chorus (not really a big fan of this effect, only cause the better ones cost 150) if you can find one a DOD Icebox I believe they are called works great.

or if you wanna just settle for something quick a Zoom Multi effects will do the trick if you don't mind programing it preferebley a 707.

(BTW I know I can't spell don't murder me for it please)
I have a Zoom G2 Multieffect pedal - sounds fine with my SS amps but sounds like crap with my Tube amps. I'd get an overdrive or a Tubescreamer (I have the TS-7 and it sounds like heaven with my tubers) - I tried a DS-1 but didn't like the cheap distortion sounds so I gave it away - saving now for a better distortion but I still contend that SS is the way to go for inexpensive distortion and Tubes are best with overdrives...
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
I would reccomend any Boss OD or DS pedals, and a Boss Chorus. Not sure about Flanger
For that kind of money you can only get two pedals; so get an overdrive an a chorus.
I suggest an Ibanez TS7 and an EH Small Clone.
The reason I didn't list overdrive is because I already have one. I use more effects than what is shown, I just own the pedals for those effects already. I do need distortion, not just overdrive. Some songs require a lot of distortion and I can't crank myself otherwise I'll ruin the mix (I'm mic'ed and run through a PA system).

I'm buying these on eBay, so I think I can squeeze 3 pedals into my price range.

Thanks guys! Keep the suggestions coming.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
I think the Boss CE-7 is a great chorus pedal. I use it, and I love it.

I have a Boss FL-3 Flanger, and it's alright, but not the greatest.

And I don't have any distortion suggestions. I own a DF-7 and never use it.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
For your fuzzy distortion, look at a Big Muff Pi

Chorus: EHX Small Clone

Flanger: Boss Flanger.
Sent from my iPad.
id definetely go for the EHX small clone as a chorus
and maybe the electric mistress as a flanger

that would be your budget if you buy it new...
but maybe you can get a DS-1 too if you buy it all on ebay

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by hendriko
id definetely go for the EHX small clone as a chorus
and maybe the electric mistress as a flanger

that would be your budget if you buy it new...
but maybe you can get a DS-1 too if you buy it all on ebay

The Electric Mistress alone is like almost all of his budget. If he gets it used, he might get a good deal.
Sent from my iPad.
the electric mistress is $130...
and im sure he will get a pretty decent deal used
but its worth it

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Thanks for all the help! I just scored a great deal on an original EH Small Stone so I'll just put off the flanger and fake it with the Small Stone for now. I only use the flanger on the intro to one song so I should be fine without it. Now I just need distortion and chorus...fire away!
Quote by John Mayer

UG 83
small clone
for chorus

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by hendriko
small clone
for chorus

I just heard some sound clips off of MF. I'm sold ! Now I just need to find a used one off eBay.
Quote by John Mayer

UG 83
good luck with that

how much money would you have left for a dist. pedal?

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by hendriko
good luck with that

how much money would you have left for a dist. pedal?

Pretty close to nothing. I'm hoping to score a DS-1 on the cheap.
Quote by John Mayer

UG 83
you probably will find one for pretty cheap
they go $40 new
so...

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame