Page 1 of 2
do you think if i woke up every morning and did 50 push ups and 50 sit ups, and then did another 50 and 50 before i go to bed, and did that for a month... there'd be noticeable differences? ive been doin it for a couple days and im sore as hell.

if it matters im about 130lbs 5'8 ish and strength is probably below average at the moment. not chubby or anything though.
Nah, I think your'e gonna need to take breaks every now and then.

your muscles need time to grow, and they cant grow if you work out every day.
also, your'e gonna need to eat a lot of protein.
books have knowledge, knowledge is power, power corrupts, corruption is a crime, and crime doesn't pay..so if you keep reading, you'll go broke.

UG Profile
Depends. You might over work your body, depends on how good of condition you are in.

If you already have a slight build, then you should be fine. If you're doing it right off from the get-go of being lazy. Then you might want to do them every other day. Your body needs time to rebuild the tissue that you tore by doing push ups and sit-ups.

You will notice if you start working out, that if you take a few days off from working out, your build will be bigger and you will be able to lift more.

If you're really serious, eat lots of chicken, and take into consideration of using protein powders. (I'm a strong believer in 'Pro Complex - just make sure you don't get any fruity flavors or you will be a strong dis-believer in Pro Complex.')
Current Gear :
Jackson USA Made SL1 Soloist (SnakeSkin Finish)
Jackson Jap Made SL1 Soloist!
Hey, do what I did. Join a sports club I joined a Tae Kwon Do club two years ago and since then I have gained a six pack, quite large biceps, and whack off leg muscles; I'm not showing off, but trying to help ya =P I also have had other clubs, like a ten pin bowling club which i quit a while back but certainly improved my strength and shape. All you need is about six hours a week. That can include Physical Education at school (if you're still a student, that is). Also, try and shape up a diet. I know it sounds terrible and extreme but it doesn't have to be OTT. I have mainly microwaved meals cos neither me or my dad is a great cook =P but once a week i have pasta and tuna in vegetable or beef stock which is quite high in protein from what I've heard, and I also have a good Sunday Dinner once a week. Eat well in a morning as well. Also, in between meals I have about 5 sweet snacks which include chocolate or crisps or something =P but like I said it doesn't need to be OTT, just try and include a few healthy things, but none that are going to make you sick =P

Anyways I hope that helped you because it took a bloody long time to write =P

Peace Out
Quote by MightyAl
I lean towards Butthole Surfers because only a butthole would carry a surfboard around a town.

Teh Gearz:

Cruiser Stratocaster
Feng Ling G15 Amplifier
Digitech Grunge Pedal
Daphon E20PH Phaser Pedal
Abs are just like any other muscle, and if you wanna gain weight doing loads of reps won't really help.

Most people stick by 8-12 reps and 3 sets. And you do have to rest every other day.

You shouldn't need protein supplements if you eat meat.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Quote by Teh_Guitarer
so i'd be better off resting every other day than doing it more often... like every dayish?

Exactly.
=)
books have knowledge, knowledge is power, power corrupts, corruption is a crime, and crime doesn't pay..so if you keep reading, you'll go broke.

UG Profile
Quote by Teh_Guitarer
do you think if i woke up every morning and did 50 push ups and 50 sit ups, and then did another 50 and 50 before i go to bed, and did that for a month... there'd be noticeable differences? ive been doin it for a couple days and im sore as hell.

if it matters im about 130lbs 5'8 ish and strength is probably below average at the moment. not chubby or anything though.

Your diet is very important too, you can't just go work out everyday of the week and have 3 meals of mcdonalds a day, you'll change nothing.
hey... is everyone sure about the resting thing?

so should i do like, one day workout, one day non workout, one day workout, one day non workout and so on? or is the rebuilding time longer?

damnit for this body not being able to keep up ^^
Quote by Meatbag
hey... is everyone sure about the resting thing?

so should i do like, one day workout, one day non workout, one day workout, one day non workout and so on? or is the rebuilding time longer?

damnit for this body not being able to keep up ^^

Yes, rest is very important. The only time your muscles will grow is when your resting.
^ Yeah. You're actually tearing your muscle fibres when you work out, so you need to give it time to rebuild. Overtraining can make you lose muscle, a friend of mine just did this actually. Don't make that mistake.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Sign up to the bodybuilding.com forums, body weight exercises will not get you very far, you need to join a gym and get a proper diet before you're gonna see any real improvements
Ibanez RG3270M Prestige
Gibson SG Standard
Fender Mexican Strat w/ Kinman Woodstock Pickups

Vox Valvetronix AD120VTX (soon to be a Peavey 6505)

Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Dime Cry Baby From Hell
oh ok. i guess i'll rest then... it's a good thing to know.

wow, i actually learned something it the pit...

and also, yes it's true diet is very important, otherwise, it's just no use.

also, how much time does it take for the body to rebuild the muscle fibres? thanks!
You're not going to overtrain yourself by doing just pushups and situps.
My God, it's full of stars!
its good to rest every other day because of the muscle fibers that need to rebuild themselves.

thats why you will find most ppl gym for example

mon
wed
fri
You're all lucky, I can barely even do 1 pushup... I'm gonna start doing situps now on... Hey would it be good doing situps one day, then weights the next? 'Cause then one part of my body rests, while the other exercises right?
if u do anything everyday. yo will see a difference. as long as u keep it up. never give up man.
it'll work but if you do any exercise before bed you won't be able to sleep
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
Quote by Teh_Guitarer

How could you be chubby at 5'8" and 130 pounds?

I'd say that would make a noticeable difference in strength and how good shape you're in, but I dunno about appearance. And still continue it after a month, it won't hurt so much anymore.
You don't have to rest doing situps. Abs recover significantly more quickly than other muscles and you can work those every day. I would do pushups every other day though.

And if you're serious about putting on muscle mass you should be taking protein shakes. Unless you eat A LOT you are not going to get the protein you need without supplements.

That being said, if you're trying to put on weight you need a gym membership b/c pushups/situps aren't gonna get you there. If you're trying to get tone/cut you need to be running. Pushups and situps will get you in decent shape but they're not gonna have a huge impact on how you look.
sit ups and push ups don't count for cardio exercise. They'll make you bigger as they strengthen muscle and not burn as much energy. Try running 2-3km instead.
Shadilay.
That won't do much. 100 sit-ups and 100 push-ups is not a lot at all. Do more technical exercises, such as bicycles (it's a sit-up type of thing), leg lifts, sit-ups, pull-ups, push-ups, push-ups with one leg in the air, push-ups while having your legs rest against the wall vertically, and dips.

If you don't know what those are, just ask me or google them.

In swimming, we usually run 2 miles, and then do 6 sets of 15 push-ups, 30 leg lifts, 30 sit-ups, and 15 dips. Sometimes we'll do variations of the push-ups and sit-ups.

Some days we'll run 2 miles, then do various exercises with an 8 pound medicine ball

And still some days we'll run 2 miles, and then do various exercises with some stretch chords.

And then some days (the days that I love) we'll just stretch for 45 minutes.

You have to do more than just simple exercises. And after we do that dry land we'll get in the water and swim around 8,000 yards. And in the morning we'll swim around 4,000 yards or meters (depending on the time of the season).

I'd have to say I'm pretty fit, but I've been doing it for 10 years and am tired as hell everyday.

Hope that helps

███████████████
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
████████████
You should really go to BodyBuilding.com and look at some workouts. Some guys know what they're talking about, but some are full of shit so take it all with a grain of salt.

If you only want to do push ups and sit ups, then you can do push ups one day, and then sit ups the next, and continue alternating. Push ups and sit ups are not very extreme exercises and you won't see too much gain, but you'll recover quicker. Try making the push ups harder... angle your legs in the air by putting them on the wall and the same with sit ups. Gravity is as good as weight.
Shine on diamond eyes.
I just started out with this today work out I added 5 sets of 20 air squats for leg strength too.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
Even then pushups and situps don't build mass, they build a slight amount of strength and endurance. Weights and reps of 6-8 build strength and mass.
Ive let myself go. Im not fat or weak. But i used to do weightlifting. As in actual olympic style for 1 hour 2 times a week on tuesdays and thursdays, I did it for 2 year while i was at school. I had ridiculous arms compared to the rest of my body and was fairly muscly. And that was with little other excercise and an average diet. Its a good thing to do because it works your whole body.

Maybe try that. Combine with occasionally cardio if you have any extra flab conceal your muslcle and you too can have a good body.

My arms now look like they fit with the rest of my body, which is good in a way.
i can do hundreds of situps a day if i wanted but i cant do pushups for shit, i have no strength for pushups but i can swim for miles as i surf for hours everyday, but i dont look like a ****ing tank
What are good upper body excercises? And try to keep it away from weight stuff, because I only have 2 5 pound ones from like 8 years ago or something, so they aren't good for anything anymore.
Go get your shovel.
Quote by faqu
Nah, I think your'e gonna need to take breaks every now and then.

your muscles need time to grow, and they cant grow if you work out every day.
also, your'e gonna need to eat a lot of protein.

+1

@Syngates: I guess push-ups if you're not gonna use any weights
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by alexi_laiho
my abs routine

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/ryanswan3.htm

i use weights for my arms and shoulders though]

How well does that work??

Best thing to do dude is get some of that whey protein stuff, don't tell your mates or they'll rip it out of you, if they don't some other sucker will.

Then sign up for a gym, now you can excercise all your muscles, so you don't have abnormally large biceps, but really small triceps.

If you can't afford it, keep doing what you're doing, but try and vary it some more so you work ALL the muscles, and yeah you should take a break once every other day to avoid injury.

This is what I did and after the first two times of going I noticed my arms had gotten at least half an inch wider.
.Brand New.Bright Eyes.This Will Destroy You.

THRRRRRRRREADKILLER!
Quote by Cpt.Jackass
How well does that work??

Best thing to do dude is get some of that whey protein stuff, don't tell your mates or they'll rip it out of you, if they don't some other sucker will.

Maybe there's a reason for that
Quote by Teh_Guitarer

I'm like 5'9 and I'm 170 so why does it matter? BTW I'm not a chubbys I'm normal size.

RockEdit: Never mind I thought this was about losing weight not gaining muscle.
myspace.com/theunwantedjellybean <--- Add It!
Last edited by rock_on986 at Mar 27, 2007,
Quote by Kensai
Maybe there's a reason for that

Well some people have fast metabolisms, they can't help it, and often drinking those sorts of drinks is the only way to gain weight, otherwise it takes a huge amount of time to gain naturally.

Tsk, some people just don't understand

Oh yeah and Creatine also helps alot to, all you have to do is put it in a warm drink once a day.
.Brand New.Bright Eyes.This Will Destroy You.

THRRRRRRRREADKILLER!
hey look my thread's back. well i guess ill give an update. the first day i tried this i could only do 30 situps and 30 pushups, yesterday i did 110 of each. my arms look a hell of a lot bigger, im not sure if the situps are doing that much but ill give them more time. the pushups are noticeable.
Quote by Cpt.Jackass
Well some people have fast metabolisms, they can't help it, and often drinking those sorts of drinks is the only way to gain weight, otherwise it takes a huge amount of time to gain naturally.

Tsk, some people just don't understand

Oh yeah and Creatine also helps alot to, all you have to do is put it in a warm drink once a day.

I have a fast metabolism and those things do nothing for me, or noone I've talked to. Penn & Teller (in that "bullshit" show) did some research about it, asked around, and well... the outcome doens't look so good for protein (whey or not) drinks. It does taste good though

Oh and doesn't creatine just fill your body with more water? And then after you stop taking creatine you're back too normal.
Quote by Kensai
Oh and doesn't creatine just fill your body with more water? And then after you stop taking creatine you're back too normal.

Yeah, the muscles.

I got a dollar for snorting a line of creatine in my biology class after they told me what it does.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Page 1 of 2