Hi all, i've discovered a strange phenomonen that i dont understand. I have 2 guitars, an ESP M-II with twin EMG 81 humbuckers in it and a Fender strat with EMG 81 S S. Been working on tones with the GT-8 i've just picked up and discovered that the output level of the strat is lower than the ESP. In terms of apples for apples if i run the input level monitor in the GT-8 with teh ESP bridge 81 vs the 81 in the bridge of the strat the level is notably less with the strat. Why is this? the ESP has 2 81s running through a single volume and pickup switch, and the strat is running the 81 and emg S pickups in the middle and neck but has a tone control that effects all pickups and a volume that is universal also along with a 5 way switch. It is a KH-20 prewired pick guard. It doesnt really matter but it's more for my knowledge of how the guitars electronics work than anything.
Quote by enerjex
Hi all, i've discovered a strange phenomonen that i dont understand. I have 2 guitars, an ESP M-II with twin EMG 81 humbuckers in it and a Fender strat with EMG 81 S S. Been working on tones with the GT-8 i've just picked up and discovered that the output level of the strat is lower than the ESP. In terms of apples for apples if i run the input level monitor in the GT-8 with teh ESP bridge 81 vs the 81 in the bridge of the strat the level is notably less with the strat. Why is this? the ESP has 2 81s running through a single volume and pickup switch, and the strat is running the 81 and emg S pickups in the middle and neck but has a tone control that effects all pickups and a volume that is universal also along with a 5 way switch. It is a KH-20 prewired pick guard. It doesnt really matter but it's more for my knowledge of how the guitars electronics work than anything.

What do you mean by level? As in High output....

Because (don't trust my answer here... Im an electrics noob) I think it could be that your ESP has 2 high output pickups.. When your strat has 1 and 2 passive? Unless you have the EMG set which is H/S/S?

I've confused myself
the esp has 2 emg 81 actives in it. the strat has a full emg active set, an emg 81 in the bridge, and emg s's in teh the middle and neck. when using just the bridge 81 in the esp compared to the bridge 81 in the strat, the out put of the strat is lower
It could either be battery life or pickup height.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Quote by ScottishAngus
pickup height.

Bingo. It could well be.

EDIT: Also, are the strat pickups RW/RP? Could that make an im pact?
take into account how long ago you've changed the battery on the guitars.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
i'm sorry i'm not sure what RW/RP means so I can't comment on that. The strat battery is newer, it's got a near new alkaline in it whereas the esp just has the battery it was made with. as far as pickup height goes tho, if anything the strat's 81 is closer to the strings by a very small amount. wierd, however i did consider it may be to do with the extra pickup the strat has and the tone control being on the circuit.
Single coil pickups are always lower output then humbuckers. Also the wood the strat is made out of is different then whats in the ESP. Therefore the strat naturally sounds thinner and less punchy.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals