They make high-end copies of fender guitars, they're located on Fender Avenue in Fullerton, California, and "GL" stands for "Guitars by Leo", but they say they aren't in ANY way associated with the Fender Musical Instruments Corp.

Double-U Tea Eff?

Excuse me if this is spam
So wouldn't that make G&L, originals?
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
I thought G&L stood for George and Leo. As in George Fullterton and Leo Fender.

Anyway G&L are pretty old.
But better value for money IMO than Fender.
But the models do differ to the original fenders.
For example the lower end legacies are made from basswood and have better quality pickups that the MIM Strats, also the nut width is smaller.
It's all personal preferance, but hopefully going to be my next guitar purchase.
Quote by beckyjc
I thought G&L stood for George and Leo. As in George Fullterton and Leo Fender.

Anyway G&L are pretty old.
But better value for money IMO than Fender.
But the models do differ to the original fenders.
For example the lower end legacies are made from basswood and have better quality pickups that the MIM Strats, also the nut width is smaller.
It's all personal preferance, but hopefully going to be my next guitar purchase.

The changed it after George left or something.

Every G&L that I've played has been superior in direct comparison to any Fenders in the same price range.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
^Yup, he designed quite a few originals for them. He also took part in musicman but sold that company too (to ernie ball obviously)

EDIT: Also facingusall is right, it was originally George and Leo but later became Guitars by Leo.
Last edited by musiclover2399 at Mar 10, 2007,
In the 70s Leo sold Fender to CBS (Colombia Broadcasting System, oddly). This era and beyond, was looked upon badly by fender fans - with subpar quality and lots of hardware issues, as well as some things being changed to cost less (three bolt necks instead of four leading to less stability)

The quickest way to find a CBS strat is to look at the headstock -

It is much wider than pre and post CBS headstocks.

After that, he formed Musicman, and THEN G&L.

G&L destroys Fender in quality, and also in innovation (This year's strat has a 0.003 difference in capacitator values! BUY ME!!!)

^ Filled with sexy.