Page 1 of 2
Yes
/thread
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Lol. No Flea doesn't use a pick... or at least i've never heard a song or heard of a time when he did.
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
--Stephen Roberts
Yeah. He did on the Slane Castle DVD. You can watch the performance on Youtube I'm pretty sure. It's pink.
Quote by GreenDayChris
I drink, and say oi occasionally. but I can't get laid to save my life.

Quote by Symphonic_Chaos
MX4Life you fucking godhaha
Yes he does. Its the only song I think he does.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Anarchy_Ant
Lol. No Flea doesn't use a pick... or at least i've never heard a song or heard of a time when he did.

He does on dont forget me.
He generally uses a pick whenever he's got chording or a sustained series of quick notes a la Parallel Universe.
Founder of Jaco society

Yes, he uses a pick on Don't Forget Me.

Yes, he uses a pick on a number of other songs, such as Parallel Universe, Fortune Faded, possibly parts of Snow, and I'm sure there's others.

No, I did not have sexual relations with that woman.

*shifty eyes*
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
yes flea uses a pick he's a versatile musician a versatile musician can use a pick without being self concious.
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by Applehead
Omg*(&*^%&^$ Flea Is A N00b Using A Pick!!!!!!

he used one during the grammys

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Ibanez SW 20 / Ampeg BA 115
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
Doesn't he use a pick for that quick part on By The Way?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Doesn't he use a pick for that quick part on By The Way?

No, that's him slapping (or just playing fingerstyle) with overdrive.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Okay folks, here's how it is:

Flea occasionally uses a pick; songs where he's used a pick have included Don't Forget Me, Parrallel Universe, Fortune Faded and part of Snow (Hey Oh).

When he first started playing bass (before he formed the Chili Peppers with Kiedis and their first (of many) guitarist (whose name always escapes me) he played in a Punk band and used a pick consistently. In fact, he started out with a pick and then moved onto fingers. In my opinion, he's now a better baissist for using both.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Quote by Felkara

When he first started playing bass (before he formed the Chili Peppers with Kiedis and their first (of many) guitarist (whose name always escapes me)

Hillel Slovak.

And Felkara is quite correct.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

I'm not 100% sure but from listening to Throw away your television he's using a pick.

Not 100%
PunkAintDead!
Quote by Bullet-Rule
He uses a pick for the chords in snow i do believe.

This is 100% true.
I saw him do it live.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by T2H
I'm not 100% sure but from listening to Throw away your television he's using a pick.

Not 100%

Nope, fingers.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

he uses a pick in:
Fortune Faded
Parallel Universe
Dont Forget Me
Zephyr Song
This Place
and im not sure about snow, i play that part with my fingers anyway
yeah but that part isnt actually part of the studio version of throw away your television, its just an outro they play live
Quote by Keef-is-king
yah, our bassist never uses a pick for those, or any, songs though.

while flea does use a pick I don't understand why.

Either for a certain tone or because it's more comfortable for them to play like that.
Founder of Jaco society

I believe when he used to play for a punk band, called Fear or something. He was forced to use only downstrokes because aparantly it sounded better.

He says so in his "instructional" video. I remember because he said something like this:

"So, I was there doing downstrokes until my penis popped off"
Quote by AdamV
and im not sure about snow, i play that part with my fingers anyway

You play the fast double stops with your fingers? 100% Flea uses a pick live and on the video for snow. But for the rest of it, its fingers.
signature
Quote by Bullet-Rule
You play the fast double stops with your fingers? 100% Flea uses a pick live and on the video for snow. But for the rest of it, its fingers.

yeah, it just strum with my fingers
He uses a pic for parallel universe?

WEAK!

Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by thedonutman
I believe when he used to play for a punk band, called Fear or something. He was forced to use only downstrokes because aparantly it sounded better.

it didnt "apparently" sound better, its just the punkish tone for bass
Quote by its_alive
Lighten up.

The Pit>Professionals

Quote by meh!
Wow, the rape wagon. The wagon sounds like the best wagon in town
Quote by Felkara
When he first started playing bass (before he formed the Chili Peppers with Kiedis and their first (of many) guitarist (whose name always escapes me) he played in a Punk band and used a pick consistently. In fact, he started out with a pick and then moved onto fingers. In my opinion, he's now a better baissist for using both.

Little more info on that rough subject: I believe that Hillel Slovak (Chili's first guitarist) actually taught Flea to play bass originally, and since he was a guitar player, he would most likely have taught Flea to play with a pick. So there ya go
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Flea had a number of teachers. The current Queens of the Stone Age bassist Alain Johannes gave Flea lessons at one point.
yes he occasionally uses a pick when he feels the need for it
he has admitted this
he has used it on more songs than parallel universe, by the way, and snow, but i cant say exactly which ones, but i do believe he used a pick for some songs when he recorded bass for the mars voltas deloused in the comatorium
i have a hypothesis of why flea uses a pick. playing night after night for 2 or so hours gets your hands quite sore after a while and it just takes a little strain off to play with a pick on a few songs to rest your fingers. plus it's easyer to do those sustained notes with a pick
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Page 1 of 2