Hey guys, I may or may not have asked this before. But I need to know if there is any suppliers of speaker parts in the UK. What i'm looking for is: Handles;coverings;corners;possibly wheels or feet. That type of hardware.

Thanks.

Danny.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Orange Rocker 30 head and a Tiny Terror
Yeah you asked this before, and I recommended Penn Fabrication. I remember talking to you about it. You might be able to order the stuff off Maplin TBH.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
O yes I remember now. But penn fabrication was for companies I think I remember, and this is only going to be a one off.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

http://www.maplin.co.uk/family.aspx?menu=1132&MenuName=Cabinet+Hardware&worldid=-5&doy=10m3 Seems to be alot of the stuff I need.

Apart from the obvious stuff like speakers, corners, handles, covering, grill cloth. What other things do I need? Do I need a connector?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?menuno=54246&MenuName=Connectors&FromMenu=y&worldid=-5&doy=10m3

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Last edited by Lordoflax at Mar 10, 2007,
^ Thats the thing that confuses me. How do I wire the cab to the head? Sorry Ive only ever had experience with combos.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

that is pretty dear actually.

Could anybody tell me if I need any more parts from the list in my other post?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Yeah, you see this is why I abandoned my cab build. Partly due to the huge cost, and also due to the time it would take me and the severe lack of time I have... So I just went on ebay and bought an old mid 70s FAL 2x12" for £18! (empty of course)
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Quote by Calum_Barrow
Yeah, you see this is why I abandoned my cab build. Partly due to the huge cost, and also due to the time it would take me and the severe lack of time I have... So I just went on ebay and bought an old mid 70s FAL 2x12" for £18!

Lol, well if I could get a good cab off ebay I definately would.

The price for building the cab isn't a problem. I'm just stuck on how to wire it. Because I read that you shouldn't use a guitar jacks but somebody has said I should. Anybody got any cab resources apart from the Cab thread.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

I can tell you for one that mine has a regular mono jack (as found on guitars) on it and it is absolutely fine. I use a speaker cable made from the jacks off an old guitar cable and an old lamp wire too. Works absolutely perfectly. I think people say use those locking jacks that Neutrik make, because if the speaker cable gets pulled out accidentally, BANG goes your output transformer on your head most likely (on a valve amp anyway).

So how does it wire from the speakers to the head if it a closed back cab?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

I thought thats why you used some sort of connector. I think I saw someone say use a 1/4 jack, would that matter where it went? Would wire it up so that the - and + went to one of the pins? But then what about grounding?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

You can wire a 2x12" in either series or parallel. In either case, there is only a positive and negative running through the speakers - no ground. Don't get confused between guitar jacks. Even though they use the same component, they are not the same.

Quote by Calum_Barrow
You can wire a 2x12" in either series or parallel. In either case, there is only a positive and negative running through the speakers - no ground. Don't get confused between guitar jacks. Even though they use the same component, they are not the same.

So, I can use a guitar jack, but not wired up the same?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Yes, you can use a guitar jack. In the case of the speaker cable, the tip is positive and the sleeve is negative.

Quote by Calum_Barrow
Yes, you can use a guitar jack. In the case of the speaker cable, the tip is positive and the sleeve is negative.

Oh ok thanks. I just don't want to mess it up by using the wrong things. As far as i'm concerned, electrical components I need are speakers and jack? What if I wanted to use another cab in the future? Also, where would the jack best be placed?

Do you know of any pictorials of cab building? (mainly wiring it up)

EDIT: I must of read this tutorial on the net about 60 times but it just didn't really show anything useful :P until I went on it today.

http://www.diyguitarist.com/Images/SpkrCab-Jack.jpg

I could attatch the jack in a similar way to what is done there.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Sorry for the double post, it's just I need to know some stuff before I even attempt building it. Could somebody please answer my previous question.

Sorry

Danny.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

TBH, The wiring is the smplest thing in the world. Wiring a speaker cab is REALLY easy. I wired my 2x12" in series just like the one here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~iktoblikto/wire_diags.htm

Quote by Calum_Barrow
TBH, The wiring is the smplest thing in the world. Wiring a speaker cab is REALLY easy. I wired my 2x12" in series just like the one here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~iktoblikto/wire_diags.htm

Oh, thanks. Then the - and + go to the jack? Could I just put the jack on a metal plate on the back?

EDIT: also apart from the speakers, would I need anything like bass reflex tubes etc?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Last edited by Lordoflax at Mar 11, 2007,
if u want a place to buy grille cloth, speakers, infact just about ne thing to build a cab apart from the wood, go to www.banzaieffects.com
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
I already have somewhere local to get the stuff for the build. I'm just after cheap speaker suggestions at the moment.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Quote by Lordoflax
Oh, thanks. Then the - and + go to the jack? Could I just put the jack on a metal plate on the back?

Yup, you could do that (you can mount it on anything really).

I'm really stumped for speakers I'm looking at the cheaper end of the eminence 10" range, but I really don't know which would suit my needs.

EDIT: if there is any 12" that suit my needs, I would use them.

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/menu/index.php?id=EMIPATCOP&seeimage=YES

The discription for these says blues and funk. Do you think they would work?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Sorry to add another question to the board but here goes.

Would it be ok to make it so the back is screwed on so it is removable for easy access to speakers? Also what is the best way to attatch the grill?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

as long as its a guitar and not a bass cab it should be fine to have a screwed back.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Yup its for a guitar. Would I want my grill to be removable or not?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

well u would only want it to be removable if it wasn't accesable from the back already so it's really either 1 or the other, which 1 do u wanna go 4?
EH

Quote by eddiehimself
well u would only want it to be removable if it wasn't accesable from the back already so it's really either 1 or the other, which 1 do u wanna go 4?

I prefer the back. But how would I fit the speakers if I can only get at it from the back?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

what u do is screw the speaker bolts into the front panel then put another bit of wood on there so it doesn't stick out of the cloth or use countersunk screws then u can put a speaker on and put a nut on behind it.
EH

Quote by eddiehimself
what u do is screw the speaker bolts into the front panel then put another bit of wood on there so it doesn't stick out of the cloth or use countersunk screws then u can put a speaker on and put a nut on behind it.

I'm so confused and there is nothing to be confused about. I was under the impression that you made the basic frame, and then about roughly an inch in from the front, a peice of wood that holds the speaker. And then the grill, but how does the grill attatch? just staple it?

EDIT: sorry i just opened a old amp of mine and now I understand what you mean.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

So after having a chat with my dad, looks like he is going to help me out a little. We are going to start building it on Tuesday. What I have been trying to figure out is:

I want to have it so the back can be opened. however, this only helps with the back wiring. What I can't understand is, without having a removable grill, how would I get the speakers out in case I had to?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!