Which pickup? It's a standard P pickup and a Fender Jazz humbucker. The P pickups come set up like that usually. You can adjust it to get the sound you want.
It's probably just Fender's MusicMan pickup copy?
Quote by GreenDayChris
I drink, and say oi occasionally. but I can't get laid to save my life.

Quote by Symphonic_Chaos
MX4Life you fucking godhaha
i think he means the P-Bass pickup, its slanted.

don't know why though
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
To make sure that the volume of each string is right, i think that is why anyway
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I've never seen a p-bass pickup that was slanted that way.

That kind of setup would probably accentuate the middle strings, and possibly deaden the G string a bit.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
The Precision pup is slanted on most Fender P-basses, and a lot of basses with P pups anyway. It's to adjust for the radius of the strings, so you get a consistent volume from each string.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
You can always adjust it, using those screws. However, I've seen dozens of P-Basses with that pickup orientation (granted, not at that severe of a degree).

Anyway, how is the American Deluxe P? I have a J and love it to death. I've heard the humbucker has some nasty hum and is a bit quieter than the P-pickup. Is that true?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
You can always adjust it, using those screws. However, I've seen dozens of P-Basses with that pickup orientation (granted, not at that severe of a degree).

Yeah...if you look closely at the picture you'll see why there's such a sharp angle: the pole pieces on the American Deluxe pups are staggered, so you need quite the angle on the pups to get the correct alignment.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Quote by thefitz

Anyway, how is the American Deluxe P? I have a J and love it to death. I've heard the humbucker has some nasty hum and is a bit quieter than the P-pickup. Is that true?

Has as much hum as a stingray and that isn't much. Just look at the name, HUMbucker, they buck hum. Also the P pickup is like that for volume and tone as raising and lowering pole pieces affects a pickup's sound.
I looked at it like humBUCKER, it bucks/kicks/gets rid of hum, since the dual coils cancel out any 60Hz hum. However, I read on Harmony Central that the 'bucker was a bit noisy and was quieter when compared to the neck pickup (which surprised me, because I would have figured the 'bucker would have had higher output).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
All humbuckers are mellower than their single coil counterparts. Like two jazz pickups put together are going to be much more mellow than if seperate. The higher output thing is a misconception as a lot of companies take advantage of the high output possibilities and use higher output single coils than they would use seperate.
Quote by musiclover2399
Has as much hum as a stingray and that isn't much. Just look at the name, HUMbucker, they buck hum. Also the P pickup is like that for volume and tone as raising and lowering pole pieces affects a pickup's sound.

My Stinger has no hum, no not very much hum should read none perhaps?
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
I know it has none, I was kind of joking. Like "I don't trust you as far as I can throw you, and that ain't far" The second part is expressed with more emotion. Damn souless internet.
Quote by musiclover2399
I know it has none, I was kind of joking. Like "I don't trust you as far as I can throw you, and that ain't far" The second part is expressed with more emotion. Damn souless internet.

Oops, my bad. Sorry.

But yeah, I'd quite like to see what those contorted pups feeling like for playing off - ordinarily, I don't like the feel of a P pup.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.