it's not about placing blame, it's about doing something about the problem you ignorant prat
yea all the co2 humans have released into the atmosphere over the past 200 years has had absolutely no effect on the environment...riiight! watch al gore's documentry on it
i am all for reducing pollution and alternative energy but we are being lied to by the media and im not saying we shouldn't do anything but if everyone stopped using fossil fuels it would have no effect on global climate change
Quote by Garf72
it's not about placing blame, it's about doing something about the problem you ignorant prat

If human activity isn't causing it, stopping that activity won't stop it.

Threadstarter: is this from channel four? I saw the last 30 minutes of it.
« »
Last edited by Burpin'Worm at Mar 10, 2007,
Quote by cefasnacht
yea all the co2 humans have released into the atmosphere over the past 200 years has had absolutely no effect on the environment...riiight! watch al gore's documentry on it

did you even watch the videos before replying they show clearly that al gore is wrong about the correlation between CO2 and temperature
Global warming is Fact! Its just Bush doesnt want oil sales to go down since he has large shares in them and wants to keep his wealth!

Bush just tries to make all the excuses he can to stop having to spend money on anything other than more mother****ing Weapons of Mass Destruction!
watch al gore's documentry on it

He's absolutely right. Manbearpig must be stopped at all costs!!!
Global warming is very real.
Last edited by Kylix at Feb 18, 2017,
gotta love people who've obviously got the blinders on...

doesn't anyone just look out their window and realize that all over the planet we're breaking weather records and seeing what can often only be described as bizarre weather patterns. Doesn't anyone actually NOTICE that summer is hotter in north america now, and winter is shorter?

They've already proved that our c02 emissions destroy the ozone, and it's simple science to know that the planet is now retaining more heat from the sun than it used to, because we have less ozone to deflect that solar radiation. The excess c02 keeps the heat from leaving the atmosphere.

It's not our pollution that's directly causing the icecaps to melt... our pollution destroyed the ozone, and now it's simply keeping the heat in, which is melting the caps, which affects the tides, which affects the weather. Add the increased heat from c02, and you've got a volatile mix.

Simply put, the earth's temperature has never risen so fast in so few years, ever. The only thing different this time is that there's humans who have made civilizations that pollute, instead of just a bunch of dinosaurs.

the cash grab or sensationalism about global warming comes from the folks who say "we're all gonna die! we're all gonna freeze to death or drown or die of exposure, or get crushed when our city crumbles into the ocean!!!" Sure, things will change... but it just means that we'll have to find different areas of the planet in which to live. The whole northern half of Canada ought to become pretty temperate in 50 years.
Last edited by frigginjerk at Mar 10, 2007,
It's also taking alot of focus away from minimizing pollution.

Global warming provides huge leverage for politicians though.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Quote by cefasnacht

yeah al gore knows everything cause he invented the internet right? or is it because hes a professor of climatology? i dont think so hes a politician doin what politicians do best and thats trying to get your vote no matter what. . .so keep beleiving him(thats like going to the pope for a kosher blessing its pointless)

Quote by Grundy0
Global warming is Fact! Its just Bush doesnt want oil sales to go down since he has large shares in them and wants to keep his wealth!

Bush just tries to make all the excuses he can to stop having to spend money on anything other than more mother****ing Weapons of Mass Destruction!

and you, another crazy conspiracy theory. . .im not supporting bush but come on man its not a conspiracy, bush knows that if you take away our fossil fuels that we so heavily rely on our economy would hit rock bottom, so call it what you will but think of somebetter excuses
setup:
Jackson ke-3
Peavey supreme 100

Quote by Archaon
if I ever see a greenday kid throwing up the horns while listening to greenday, I'm going to have to kick his ass. I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed to throw up the horns, just not to greenday.
Fact: 80% of all statistics are based on a small segment not representative of the whole.

But honestly, even if we didn't cause it, why continue to pollute and destroy the environment? It only reaffirms my belief in humanity being a virus.

I pity the world when it becomes like Highlander II.
you guys should also watch the show on the history channel about the little ice age which the earth has been in for about 700 or so years. . .which were coming out of right now. . .the earth goes through cycles, its pretty interesting
setup:
Jackson ke-3
Peavey supreme 100

Quote by Archaon
if I ever see a greenday kid throwing up the horns while listening to greenday, I'm going to have to kick his ass. I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed to throw up the horns, just not to greenday.
Quote by frigginjerk
gotta love people who've obviously got the blinders on...

doesn't anyone just look out their window and realize that all over the planet we're breaking weather records and seeing what can often only be described as bizarre weather patterns. Doesn't anyone actually NOTICE that summer is hotter in north america now, and winter is shorter?

They've already proved that our c02 emissions destroy the ozone, and it's simple science to know that the planet is now retaining more heat from the sun than it used to, because we have less ozone to deflect that solar radiation. The excess c02 keeps the heat from leaving the atmosphere.

It's not our pollution that's directly causing the icecaps to melt... our pollution destroyed the ozone, and now it's simply keeping the heat in, which is melting the caps, which affects the tides, which affects the weather. Add the increased heat from c02, and you've got a volatile mix.

Simply put, the earth's temperature has never risen so fast in so few years, ever. The only thing different this time is that there's humans who have made civilizations that pollute, instead of just a bunch of dinosaurs.

the cash grab or sensationalism about global warming comes from the folks who say "we're all gonna die! we're all gonna freeze to death or drown or die of exposure, or get crushed when our city crumbles into the ocean!!!" Sure, things will change... but it just means that we'll have to find different areas of the planet in which to live. The whole northern half of Canada ought to become pretty temperate in 50 years.

CO2 makes up how much of Earth's atmosphere? Oh look, it's less than the percentage of it.

Water vapour has more heat reflective properties, and makes up alot more of our atmosphere. So maybe to reduce the temperature of the Earth we should stop boiling water?

It's just a normal trend that people think that they should change because the media tells them so. North America's weather is changing because of a different distribution of land-based heat retainers (ie. extremely large urban centres). It has nothing to do with the measly amount of CO2 that we (among other things, like decaying plant matter for instance) are emitting.

And the winter isn't shorter from what I'm seeing. The storms and blizzards were really early and late last year. People are attributing too much to small statistical anomalies.
Quote by Dayn
Fact: 80% of all statistics are based on a small segment not representative of the whole.

But honestly, even if we didn't cause it, why continue to pollute and destroy the environment? It only reaffirms my belief in humanity being a virus.

I pity the world when it becomes like Highlander II.

i agree with you that people need to be more environmentally concious and i believe the true solution to preserving the environment is for people to just live simpler lives, everyone iso consumed with having the next big thing especially in America that i don't believe a movement for simpler living will work
Was a good show.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
Quote by frigginjerk

did you even WATCH the f*cking video? the climate is getting warmer because the sun is getting hotter - there's global warming on jupiter, saturn and mars too, you know, and i dont think thats because we've been hacking away at their ozone layers.
Also, while I was hinting about the psychological affect of statistics... that means 60% of climatologists do believe stuff about global warming, which is the majority.
Quote by FlyingMojo
and you, another crazy conspiracy theory. . .im not supporting bush but come on man its not a conspiracy, bush knows that if you take away our fossil fuels that we so heavily rely on our economy would hit rock bottom, so call it what you will but think of somebetter excuses

How was what i said a conspiracy theory? I simply stated that it is in George Bush's (if only George Bush's)interest to keep oil sales high! Nad im not saying we should stop using all fossil fuels instantly!! But at least spend some money researching alternative technoligies which Bush is currently not doing! and it doesnt really matter if you believe in Climate Change or not becasue 35-45 years of oil is all thats left!!
the whole global warming thing was fueled by politicians like margaret thatcher who distrusted the middle east oil barons and wanted evidence that nuclear power was the way forward. they payed off loads of scientists, giving grants to anyone who could link their research to global warming, to show that more CO2 = higher temperatues.

then all the peaceniks who came into the west from the soviet states after the berlin wall came down jumped on the bandwagon. they were looking for any reason to hate the great capitalist america, and since usa pumped out more CO2 than anyone else, they used global warming as an arguement.

and now, because environmentalism is so goddam popular, with greenpeace, the eden project, the kyoto agreement; anyone who speaks out against the theory of global warming is told to f*ck off.

it was all in the programme
Quote by petrucci is god
i agree with you that people need to be more environmentally concious and i believe the true solution to preserving the environment is for people to just live simpler lives, everyone iso consumed with having the next big thing especially in America that i don't believe a movement for simpler living will work

I think that one of the big problems, also, is that in industrial countries, the average person has a very small rapport with nature.

We get our meat in styrofoam containers, already cut up. Our vegetables come frozen and in cans, and even the water we drink comes out a tap that starts at some mysterious source in a water treatment plant somewhere.

I think we started losing touch with nature along time ago.

So, try not to listen to the media with naive ears; when you go and take a walk outside, pick up any litter you see, recycle all that you can and just try to keep your surroundings clean.
THe earth's global temperature has been increasing since the late 1800s, but before that it was falling, and a few hundred years before that it was rising again, etc. You could basically draw a line on a chart between the average temperature now and the average temperature 1000 years ago and it would result in a straight line, providing you don't exxagerate the scale like many fear-mongering people do (for example, making the whole damn chart represent 1 degree in order for it to look like a more dramatic increase is retarded).

Besides, the Earth didn't even have ice caps until the last ice age, so the fact that they're melting is to be expected.

We're certainly not slowing down the global temperature increase, because we do emit a lot of greenhouse gases/etc, but we're certainly not causing it, either. Remember that the number one greenhouse gas is water vapor, and the second is carbon dioxide (which we exhale.) The earth's temperature was rising and falling long before we got here.

And some thirty years ago, newsweek ran an issue wit ha headline about the impending doom from global COOLING.

It's all about controlling the masses throguh intimidation and fear. Both sides of the political spectrum do it.
Quote by Dayn
Also, while I was hinting about the psychological affect of statistics... that means 60% of climatologists do believe stuff about global warming, which is the majority.

Yeah but a majority in science is worthless. If we went by that method, called consensus science (which the IPCC uses, btw), then you would get a skewed view on what is scientifically viewed as true.
Quote by Grundy0
How was what i said a conspiracy theory? I simply stated that it is in George Bush's (if only George Bush's)interest to keep oil sales high! Nad im not saying we should stop using all fossil fuels instantly!! But at least spend some money researching alternative technoligies which Bush is currently not doing! and it doesnt really matter if you believe in Climate Change or not becasue 35-45 years of oil is all thats left!!

thats fair enough, but the way you phrased that to me atleast, you sorta made him sound like he was hell bent on not letting anything stop him from world domination or a monopoly or some shit. . .any way i dont think bush owns any of the processing refineries or what have you so i really dont see why its in his best interest, were not brazil or iraq,we dont profit from it, were fighting a war and that cost money especially for all those troops over there(i.e. fighting wars=using more fossil fuels) so please some one tell me why its in his best interest to keep oil sales high?
setup:
Jackson ke-3
Peavey supreme 100

Quote by Archaon
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Yeah but a majority in science is worthless. If we went by that method, called consensus science (which the IPCC uses, btw), then you would get a skewed view on what is scientifically viewed as true.

Aye, which makes 40% equally meaningless except to the statisticians.

I personally believe we've had a hand in global warming, no matter how small, but of course, people will always try to reap as much money as they can from any controversial topic.
my response to everyone who's quoted me:

all you guys DID do was watch the video... you're kids on a website, not climate scientists. I'm no scientist either, but I still maintain that pollution cannot possibly be HELPING the climate situation. If the guys on youtube are right, that doesn't mean we're in the right to be spewing even more gases into the atmosphere and making it hotter. If you were getting cooked in a big pot by cannibals, would you spray lighter fluid onto the fire and baste yourself? If nothing else, it makes it very unpleasant for us to live in polluted areas... and it won't get any more pleasant if it gets hotter.

Remember... when people talk about destroying the planet, they don't literally mean that the planet will fall to pieces, or that a wave of radiation will fry every living human on earth. They mean that the places where we live CURRENTLY, because they are temperate, will become quite a bit hotter, or in some areas, will become frozen and unihabitable, and many people will be forced to move.

I'd say a bigger threat than rising temperatures is going to be the ability of tropical diseases, and deadly tropical pests to thrive in more parts of the planet when temperatures DO rise. We're going to see millions of people moving across the planet, and many species of animal / insect / virus will permanantly migrate, or die out, or adapt to new areas with new mutations. Most small-scale experiments involving introducing one or two new species to an area and letting them go unchecked usually result in ecological breakdown.

bottom line: all you naysayers who go around talking about how it's no big deal, and nothing is going to happen and there's a perfectly blameless explanation that lets us keep on being plastic-fantastic consumers are going to be the ones who shoot themesleves in the head because they can't stand having to give it all up, kinda like the people in zombie movies who think they can just stay home, ignore the zombies and not get eaten.
Last edited by frigginjerk at Mar 10, 2007,
Quote by FlyingMojo
so please some one tell me why its in his best interest to keep oil sales high?

His entire fortune is from his investments in Oil! He has huge amounts of shares in many major oil companies
Quote by frigginjerk
If the guys on youtube are right

it was originally on channel 4 in the uk. http://www.channel4.com/

okay, i agree that pollution can kill off plants and animals, deforestation is wiping out whole species in the amazon, and CFCs have been eating away at the ozone layer; but the point the programme was making was that global warming by greenhouse gases from human activity really isnt as big as we've been told by al gore and the media etc. its a part of the human superiority complex - we always think we're making more of an impact than we really are.

the bigger issue with burning fossil fuels is that we're using up lots of a non-renewable energy source, so sooner or later we're going to run out of it. i don't know about that being in 50 years or whatever - i doubt that anyone's searched under the entire ocean for more oil/coal/natural gas.
Last edited by blue_strat at Mar 10, 2007,
Quote by SURFraptor7
He's absolutely right. Manbearpig must be stopped at all costs!!!

HAHA i can't take him seriously just because of that one episode of south park!
well i spose something needs to be done
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
Global warming is a threat. It is caused by humans. I dont think you guys realize just how small the planet is. Then we have another problem called global dimming because the gasses are blocking out the sun light reversing the global warming effect but if we let it go the pollution will kill us. Why do you there is so much cancer and diseases. Were screwing ourselves over. I dont think we have much power in stoping both but if we try they could be delayed. The earth ussually can heal itself long after, and maybe it will be livible. I think the reason so many of you reject it is because you're in denial and cant believe humans can do something like that. All the facts are in Al Gores film, now go watch it! Get out your gas guzzler and walk to work or bike. Instead of power your house from the power company power it by using solar panels.
I didn't feel like watching those videos, because everyones viewpoints are so different its boring already.

Now i'm not expert in weather or any of that. But i'll take my city for example. We'd went from -19 celsius yesterday, to +9 celsius today.

If thats not messed up. I don't know what is.
Quote by demonic_fishie
Johnson's naturally have a small kink in them, but if you've got a ninety-degree bend in it you should get it checked.

But hey, at least you could piss round corners.
[quote="EXIT MUNDI ]
Phew! Aren’t we lucky? In the 1990s, they predicted we would get climate warming. The poles were about to melt, they said. Entire countries would get flooded. Huge hurricanes would sweep across the globe. Millions would die. Well: they had it all wrong. It’s the 21st century now -- and little has happened so far.

But then, suddenly, it all changes. From one month to the next, the climate of the world goes wild. Temperatures jump. The ice caps of the poles crumble, pushing the sea levels up. The snow caps on the mountain tops melt, turning even the tiniest rivulet into a roaring body of water. Cities are flooded, countries washed away. Tornadoes and hurricanes push across the globe. Harvests fail. Economies crumble. Tropical diseases like malaria and dengue push northwards. Forests turn into deserts. And of course, millions of people perish during all the mayhem.

And if you thought that was bad: you haven’t seen nothing yet. Within a few decades, the situation goes totally out of hand. Temperatures just keep on rising, faster and faster. And as they do, more and more water on Earth begins to evaporate. The sea level begins to drop again. If you’re one of those poor souls who had his country or city flooded when the ice caps melted, you might be glad to find the sea retreating. But don’t put that flag out yet. What you’re witnessing, is the end of the world. Nothing more, nothing less.

Here’s how it goes. As the temperatures rise, more water evaporates. But as more water evaporates, our atmosphere gets thicker -- causing the temperatures to rise even more. And as the temperatures rise even more, even more water evaporates. And as even more water evaporates... You've got it: there’s a chain reaction going on. The dreaded ‘runaway greenhouse effect’ has just kicked in.

Governments and scientists will desperately look for a way to turn the tide. But they won’t find one. There’s just no way you can stop something as mighty as the Earth’s climate. Although our politicians might still mumble some reassuring words to prevent a general panic, deep within they will realize how bad the situation really is. A few years more, and our planet will no longer be habitable. All life is about to vanish from the planet formerly known as Earth. There is no escape, not even a remote possibility things will improve.

The best evidence for that is hovering in the night sky: the planet Venus. For many years, scientists wondered why Venus has an atmosphere so hot that lead and tin actually melt in it. Only in the late 1990s they realized that Venus too has undergone the runaway greenhouse effect. Its atmosphere is so dense, incoming solar heat cannot escape from it.

Exactly that, my friends, is what is happening on our planet. Earth is about to join Venus. We’re about to literally fry to death.

By now, temperatures on Earth start getting really uncomfortable. Everywhere you look, there’s this dense, watery fog -- it’s water vapor, as you might have guessed. Where there used to be rivers, only dry gullies are left, carving through the barren landscape. And where the oceans used to be, only some lakes remain -- and they get smaller each day.

It’s hard to tell how exactly humanity will die in the end. Perhaps we won’t be able to stand the heat anymore, and literally find ourselves cooked to death by the ever increasing temperatures. Perhaps we’ll suffocate, as our once fresh atmosphere turns into a dense brew of carbon dioxide, water vapor and methane. Perhaps we’ll survive all that, clinging to our gas masks and our airconditioning -- and in the end starve to death because all plants and animals are gone.

One thing is absolutely certain, though: it will be some gruesome, hellish end. After a few years or decades, our planet has become a deserted fog planet, with an atmosphere so hot that lead and tin actually melt in it. Life will be no longer possible -- except perhaps for a handful of soil bacteria that are able to withstand all the nastiness.

The Runaway Greenhouse: The facts

Of course, we could have known what was coming. Ever since the 1990s, there were some climatologists warning for it. But their calculations were laughed away, ill understood by the general public or ignored by the politicians in charge of things. The climatologists were dubbed pessimists. Even though their computer models told otherwise.

As late as 2001, the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) formally warned that the greenhouse effect could ‘unleash catastrophic and irreversible changes to key planetary processes that make the world habitable.’ In 2005, a British government research council repeated the warning. And added the effect could kick in as soon as 2015.

The runaway greenhouse effect works quite simple, really. First, you should realize why we have an atmosphere in the first place. That’s because there’s a lot of water vapor and carbon dioxide in the air. There’s nothing wrong with that. The carbon dioxide and the water vapor serve as a ‘blanket’: they prevent some of the incoming heat from the sun from flying off again into space.

Killer Fog: The atmosphere will turn the planet into a shadowy fog world, as the atmosphere fills itself with water vapor.

At least, that’s how things went until one day, six billion humans came around. Mankind literally pumps trillions of tons of greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide and methane into the atmosphere.

No big deal, so far. Calculations show that this massive amount of extra greenhouse gas will only push up the Earth’s temperatures a few degrees. Besides, about one quarter of all the methane and the carbon dioxide is cleaned up by nature each year.

But around 2015, that could suddenly change. The climate warming could pass a critical threshold. The ice caps of the poles could melt. This would set free billions of tons of extra carbon dioxide: the ice caps are full of tiny bubbles of trapped ancient air with a lot of carbon dioxide in them. This suddenly gives an extra push to the greenhouse effect.

Also, the warming could unleash carbon dioxide that is trapped in sea sediments, in the permafrost of Greenland and in the soil. And worse: the warming could set free the trillions of tons of methane that are stashed away below the ocean's floor and in the permafrost. At the same time, nature could get ‘saturated’ with carbon. Of course, plants and soil organisms will still breathe carbon dioxide. But there will be too much of it.

And in the end, the water vapor kicks in. While it gets hotter, oceans and rivers start to evaporate. This would make the atmosphere denser and hotter, pushing up the evaporation, making it hotter... And so on.

Then you would have it: an environmentalists nightmare. The greenhouse effect will go wild. And wilder still -- until we live on a planet with an atmosphere so hot that lead and tin actually... You can fill in those words yourself by now, right?

so.....?
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
umm... +1^....

i havn't studied global warming or Al Gore's movie or anything like that. however clearly something is happening to the climate, as weather and temperatures appear increasingly unstable. to think that nothing is happening or global warming does not exist AT ALL i think is foolish. the temperature where i live has jumped from 0 F to 48F and back twice in the past 10 days. as far back as i can recall that has not happened any other time in my life where i live.
temperatures fluctuate naturally.most people that believe in global warming get there info from newspapers.read the science journals to get the real story
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Well' it's still pretty cold here so I better release some aerosols into the air to speed up the greenhouse effect and warm Canada up, I mean it's the only logical thing to do.
ELV1S
I've seen a lot of documentaries (on PBS, no less- not exactly a haven of conservatism) that argue that the vast majority of global warming is a natural climate shift that happens once every several thousand years. Of course, all the CO2 we're dumping into the atmosphere can't be a good thing, but I've always thought it was kind of silly to believe a single species could totally mess the world up to that degree in only a century.
Death to Ovation haters!
fact: 40% of all teens can be easily swindled by anything on youtube.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove