I am looking into buying a recording program for my comp. I know very little about this area of music. At first I was looking at the Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro 3 but a guy I know told me that I should look into the SONAR Home Studio 6 or SONAR Home Studio 6 XL . Most of the fellow recordists from UG told me to use Audacity but I'm pretty sure I want to use a more profesional program.

What I am looking for is a program that will let me record myself (guitar) and if possible, my band as well. I don't need a professional program but a decent one.

Also the equipment to get me pluged into my comp or whatever I need to do for that. And what will I need to connect to my comp? One guy told me that the Fast Track Pro is a 2-channel audio input device that will allow me to record from a mic or guitar directly into my computer with the highest quality sound. I'm not sure about him but is he correct or are there other input devices that I should use?

Thanks Alot!!
Last edited by Guitarsoloblack at Mar 10, 2007,
^Well what I'm trying not to go over is like 200 if possible for now. I know I can buy the Sonar 6 XL for 159 but that is without the Fast Track Pro which would bump me up a bit. I want it to sound as good as possible. Yes to makeing a demo too.

I also forgot to mention that I have a Line 6 POD xt Live. Can I use that for something other than the tones?
Last edited by Guitarsoloblack at Mar 10, 2007,
Well if you dont mind spending money, do what i did, first but Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 6, and Native Instruments Guitar Rig 2 software. Guitar rig 2 can be used as a plugin in sonar, its abit expensive, but speaking from experience, it's worth all the money.
You may as well start with Audacity so you know what you're doing. By the sounds of it you haven't done any of this before, so you might want to experiment before you buy some really expensive software.
Quote by Darkshade666
Well if you dont mind spending money, do what i did, first but Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 6, and Native Instruments Guitar Rig 2 software. Guitar rig 2 can be used as a plugin in sonar, its abit expensive, but speaking from experience, it's worth all the money.

Why would i want that If i have the tones that I want with my line 6? It just would give me tones that show up on my comp. RIGHT?
Ok im gonna hook you up with some info.
Do not get the line 6 anything.

Use REAPER .
Its free (after 30 days they would like you to purchase,but you dont have to)
Its a solid program that works great. (read up on it ,youll see)

Now go get this M-AUDIO DELTA 1010 LT

This will give you 10 SEPERATE INDIVIDUAL TRACKS to your computer,because trust me...you are gonna want more than one microphone on the drumkit.

Trust me..nothing comes close to this for $200 bucks!

Your welcome
I do own and use Line 6 Live xt so can't I use that to plug into my comp? Or do I need the Line 6 TonePort UX2 USB Audio Interface UX 2 ??

Now with the Line 6 Tone Port, can I record my entire band through it? At seperate times of course.
Quote by Guitarsoloblack
Now with the Line 6 Tone Port, can I record my entire band through it? At seperate times of course.

No...see my above post.