I'm in the process of building a guitar body, and I have already bought a tune-o-matic bridge for it. I've noticed from looking at other guitars that these bridges aren't positioned perpendicularly to the centre line; they're angled to make the treble strings shorter. I'm assuming this is for proper intonation, but how much of an angle do I need?

Thanks
Quote by VR2005
Very good post Marmoseti, you're on the right track.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

PM Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Yeah, it's not perpendicular to the centre line in order for the intonation to be correct. I've jsut measured my Epiphone Les Paul, and from the middle of the stop bar posts to the middle of the TOM posts is 1 1/2" on the bass side, and 1 11/16" on the treble side. From the middle of the post to post, the TOM is 2 7/8" wide. You can work out the angle from that easily, but I can't be bothered right now I'm afraid.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
So when you measure the distance from nut to 12th fret x 2, would you place the treble side at that spot, and then the bass side further away, or would the middle of the bridge be at that spot, with the treble side closer and the bass side further?

(What an ugly sentence- couldn't quite explain it in a proper way)
^ The scale length strictly speaking is measured on the top e string, so you would set the treble side to that length.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Thanks for the help, I can work out the angle now
Quote by VR2005
Very good post Marmoseti, you're on the right track.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

PM Marmoseti or Confusius to join