Hello again, people. I finally got my (now favorite) bass - an Epiphone Thunderbird IV. I got it because my band is going to start doing a few shows in the next few months, and I wanted a backup bass, or atleast one to have in a different tuning.

Well, I tried doing some System of a Down covers, and the bass does pretty well in Db tuning, but in drop C it completely sounds, well, I wouldn't say horrible, but it makes the twangity sound, where the strings hit the frets, making a buzz.

I quickly remembered my guitar, which made the same sound but I fixed it by raising the bridge. My question is, if I do the same to my bass, would I have to remove all the strings first? I didn't do it with my guitar, because I just tuned it so low that I was able to raise it.

Well, is it the bridge I must raise, or is there another solution? Plus, how exactly is the best way to raise it?

Sorry again, I've been playing for quite a while but I still am a bass noob. So if anyone can help me, please reply!
im no bass man, but on guitar you get higher gauge strings to stop fret buzz in dropped tunings.
Quote by 50cial5y5t3m
Hello again, people. I finally got my (now favorite) bass - an Epiphone Thunderbird IV. I got it because my band is going to start doing a few shows in the next few months, and I wanted a backup bass, or atleast one to have in a different tuning.

Well, I tried doing some System of a Down covers, and the bass does pretty well in Db tuning, but in drop C it completely sounds, well, I wouldn't say horrible, but it makes the twangity sound, where the strings hit the frets, making a buzz.

I quickly remembered my guitar, which made the same sound but I fixed it by raising the bridge. My question is, if I do the same to my bass, would I have to remove all the strings first? I didn't do it with my guitar, because I just tuned it so low that I was able to raise it.

Well, is it the bridge I must raise, or is there another solution? Plus, how exactly is the best way to raise it?

Sorry again, I've been playing for quite a while but I still am a bass noob. So if anyone can help me, please reply!

First, if you're going to use drop tunings regularly, you'll want to get higher gauge strings. For drop C (shudder), you'll want a .110 E string...so look for a set of Medium-Heavy or Heavy strings.

Raising your action also helps, obviously, and after putting thicker strings on you may still need to raise it. You don't need to take the strings off, just loosen the tension on them. The Thunderbird bridge is a bitch to raise, you have to adjust the 3 poles that hold it up.

After all that, you're going to need some serious intonation adjustments, and in my experience with the Thunderbird (I owned one for nearly 2 years), there isn't much range for adjusting the intonation. Hopefully you'll have enough saddle movement to adjust it, but I make no promises.

There really isn't a point to playing drop C or any other severe downtunings. I gather you're trying to imitate Shavo, but this is a poor way to go about it. You would've been much better off getting a 5-string. Either way, good luck.

EDIT: After putting thicker strings on and adjusting the action, you'll also likely have to adjust the truss rod a quarter turn or so, just so you know.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Last edited by canadianpunk071 at Mar 10, 2007,