i need some pointers on how to write stoner rock riffs, kinda like kyuss or queens of the stone age and stuff like that.

thanks.
my band members are ****in like almost straight edge (cept the drummer, but he doesnt get high he only drinks) so i gotta write the riffs myself and i think i gotta come up with some lyrics tonight too...so imma gonna need some weed
check out this band
http://www.myspace.com/elephantine
they are the local BEST stoner rock band.
they had some interest a while back but they just want to play music.
anyway check em out and get a sound to how some others do it
oh yeah and tune down to like New standard (drop b in other words) then sing about drugs, jack daniels and stuff like that
enjoy XD
jt
Orinally Posted by HorridxHopes

This is the smartest question ever posted in the pit. I commend you.

I asked about theory of reality and this is what someone said to me!
Fuzzy tone, tune down, focus on heaviness instead of technicality.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
stoner rock? ...never heard of this?

i am a stoner. so i should know.

what is stoner rock? whats it sound like, who plays it? (bands.. i dont want an answer sayin :stoners")
haha. your band expects you to write the music cause you smoke? haha, thats hilarious. but as far as music goes, take it easy and dont get to excited, keep it slow, remember stoner=mellow...
"I saw a werewolf drinking a piña colada at Trader Vic's...his hair was perfect."
Quote by hippie_cune
stoner rock? ...never heard of this?

i am a stoner. so i should know.

what is stoner rock? whats it sound like, who plays it? (bands.. i dont want an answer sayin :stoners")

Kyuss, Queens of the Stone Age, Sleep, bands of that nature.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Tune down, get a tonne of low end, and be as repetitive as you can.
Speaking from my own experience, the key to a good Stoner-Rock riff is the rhythm of it. Most of Stoner-Rock is in 4/4 time, and almost always focuses on the pentatonic scales, so the best way to differentiate your riff and give it life is to focus on the groove or rhythm of it first. Start with you root note and just ride on that, and then try to get your picking (or plucking) hand to start getting the groove that you want, and then once you have the rhythm in your head you can start putting in notes. The riff doesn't need to be chalk full of notes, as long as they accentuate your groove the song will keep its quality. Once you have a melody and a groove you can start thinking of little slides, pull-offs, and other techniques to give it flavor. From there all you need is to write lyrics that reflect and mesh with your groove and melody and boom, you can present it to your band mates. The key is to not drift away from the root of your song as you write. Stoner Rock is about being strong in your basics, if you neglect the basics while you're focusing on the technicality it will all go to shit. And a little smokie inspiration never hurt either.

You can really see this focus on the rythym in songs like Thumb or Conan Troutman by Kyuss.

Hope this helps,
Shane
Ever listen to Down. I would say drop b tuning would work. Also, I always tell the guys I am in a band with that usually slow riffs are heavier sounding. Good luck should be fun.
Raconteurs Fan Guy
Step 1: Buy a Big Muff.

Step 2: Write lyrics about smoking weed or some type of enormous/"trippy" topic (i.e. outer space).

Step 3: Sing new lyrics over Black Sabbath riffs. Occasionally, play them even slower.

Step 4: Come up with a weed pun as your band name.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Shane LePage
Speaking from my own experience, the key to a good Stoner-Rock riff is the rhythm of it. Most of Stoner-Rock is in 4/4 time, and almost always focuses on the pentatonic scales, so the best way to differentiate your riff and give it life is to focus on the groove or rhythm of it first. Start with you root note and just ride on that, and then try to get your picking (or plucking) hand to start getting the groove that you want, and then once you have the rhythm in your head you can start putting in notes. The riff doesn't need to be chalk full of notes, as long as they accentuate your groove the song will keep its quality. Once you have a melody and a groove you can start thinking of little slides, pull-offs, and other techniques to give it flavor. From there all you need is to write lyrics that reflect and mesh with your groove and melody and boom, you can present it to your band mates. The key is to not drift away from the root of your song as you write. Stoner Rock is about being strong in your basics, if you neglect the basics while you're focusing on the technicality it will all go to shit. And a little smokie inspiration never hurt either.

You can really see this focus on the rythym in songs like Thumb or Conan Troutman by Kyuss.

Hope this helps,
Shane

How do people keep finding and bumping these old threads?
Quote by TheHydra
How do people keep finding and bumping these old threads?

google.
Double necro. Way to go.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115