hi,

I wanna buy a Marshall jcm 900 4501 but Im not sure what I need to check it for. I know I need to check:

- if it works at all
- if I like the sound
- if the potmeters cause lots of noise when turned (but dont know what the consequences are if they do?)
- I should leave it on for a while (1 hour?) and see if it still works

And then theres this:

this guy who wants to sell said he had to catch a plane or summit and only had 15 minutes to close the deal. I dont like time pressure (its over 300 euros) so I said I wanted to pick another time to do it.

what do you guys think about all this? Appreciate your help!
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
guys I need an answer on this fast.. sorry to bump if it annoys you
Gear
Marshall jcm900
Get information on stuff that you can't test, like how old the tubes are, how long he's owned it, if it's broken down before, how he takes care of it. And if he's trying to sell it to you in 15 minutes, I would guess somethings up... Couldn't you go there an hour earlier?
he canceled his appointment so Ive got more time now which is good.

Ill let u know :P
Gear
Marshall jcm900
Make sure you test every input, switch, channel and whatnot to check that everything works as it should.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
If it comes on and sounds good...buy it. Theres noway your going to buy it and it break down in a few hours. They are very analog straight forward machines. They either work or they don't. You can't really rig them up to make them appear to work.

Anything else that may be wrong ie. dirty pots, bad tubes, are easy fixes.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Don't leave it just because a pot is scratchy; they can easily (and cheaply) be replaced. Same with old tubes. As long as the price is right, don't worry about the details; they can be fixed.
^ Ah yes, but things like old tubes and the like can be used to haggle!
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
its 320 euros for the 4501. I thought that was an ok price.

oh and in case you didnt see, I have a roland cube 15 atm and Im into RATM, Audioslave, GnR, Evanescence, Iron Maiden... that kinda stuff. Hard rock mostly.
Gear
Marshall jcm900
Last edited by Walternativo at Mar 10, 2007,
I just got me a new amp. Heavy as hell to carry upstairs but it does rock.
Gear
Marshall jcm900
What's it sound like then?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
first thing to hit you: its LOUD. Really fkin loud. Ive got it at 2.5 of 10 at Low Power (25w) in my bedroom.

Its a real Marshall... its got that edge. Less muddy on the high notes than my roland cube 15... way more definition. Reverb + low volume = pianoish I guess...

the gain works best when I turn it up (too much). Its what youd expect: a familiair rock sound.
Gear
Marshall jcm900