Im in the market to get a custom guitar built for me by a luthier, and I was hoping to get your opinion/advice on the choices I've made:

To start off, it will be a 7 string, as this guitar will be used for playing all types of metal, and heavy music.

Body wood: Im thinking of going with Alder? I heard it has good low end and low midrange characteristics, as well as good high end and sustain, and I already own a mahogany guitar. Im thinking of getting it quilted maple.
Bridge: Original Floyd Rose or Edge Pro?
Pick ups: I'll have to look into 7 string passive pickups, any recommendations? Configuration H - H, or H - S - H

Fretboard: Indian Rosewood, I want 24 frets, I've heard of scalloped frets, where I guess the action is supposedly perfect? (Anyone know much about this?)
Type of neck: It will have neck thru-body construction, I've heard of 3 piece necks and 5 piece necks, I dont know anything about that yet though so I'll need your opinions here.
I want a thin Ibanez type neck for fast shredding, something similar to a high end S prestige, or RG prestige, dimention recommendations?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot in advance. =)
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
the only thing i think i can help you out on is go for the Edge Pro instead of the OFL, but that might just be me. and i'd go with an H-H setup instead of H-S-H if your going for metal. and the Ibanez Wizard II neck is superb. but i dont know dimensions...
Alder is more of a brighter wood I've never heard of it having good low end and low midrange, I think you mistaking it for mahoghany. Scalloped frets are supposed to be harder to play but are better to bend. They are where wood between the frets are not flat they are carved, most guitars just have them on frets 21-24. Malmsteen's strats are completly scalloped.
I don't know if it will help but here are the dimensions for Ibanez's RG1527
Scale Length: 648mm/25.5"
Width At Nut: 43mm
Width At Last Fret: 56mm
Thickness At 1st Fret: 18mm
Thickness At 12th Fret:20mm
Radius: 430
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
Last edited by FFFDFEFRFKFFF at Mar 10, 2007,
Sweet thanks a lot man, actually the only reason why I thought Alder had that low end and low mid range, was because I was reading the mahogany section on a site, and I thought I was reading the Alder one, ahah sorry about that.
Hmmm so do you think getting the fretboard scalloped is a good idea, or should I only keep it to the high frets?
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
I wouldn't scallop the frets. I play a JEM with the 21-24 frets scalloped and it didn't do anything for me. They make it harder to play fast and slide if your whole neck is scalloped, so I've heard. I personally wouldn't get any of my neck scalloped.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
Last edited by FFFDFEFRFKFFF at Mar 11, 2007,