Evening,

I'm doing an essay on whether or not the fashion defines the genre more than the music and was wondering if you guys could help me out.

Have any of you ever based the majority of your wardrobe on that of your favourite artist, or to fit in with whatever musical trend was popular at the time?

Can people tell exactly what music you listen to just from looking at you?

It would really help if you could give an example of the clothes you wear the most, and provide the names of 2 or 3 of your favourite artists.

Thanks
Nah,Angus Young dresses like a school kid
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
It does, if you listen to crap music that is... But if you listen to good music, you know that you're cool because of the music, not because of your fashion.
If you have something clever to say, don't bother, most people won't get it.

ZOMFG TEH SP33[) I-I4><!!1!

No... Herman Li's just really good...

"Yes I do like marmalade in my eggs! Thank you for asking!"

Quote by Chubbes_Hammet
How do you sig people?

I usually wear jeans a t-shirt and a military jacket, with no mention of bands or anything on them. I guess no-one can tell my fave bands atm are Fear Factory, Machine Head and Hatebreed. Although I don't dress like I'm into rap (chav)
depends of the genre, real rock is commonly about the music the rest is just fashion...

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
Quote by Oreos_own_all
It does, if you listen to crap music that is... But if you listen to good music, you know that you're cool because of the music, not because of your fashion.

+1

Nah, you could be in a jazz ensemble with corpse paint, and it'd still be jazz.

But I do listen to metallish music and wear jeans and T-shits, although I'm trying to get out of that rut.
No, you cant really tell from looking at me. Probably due to the fac that I wear an amolgomy of different "styles", ranging from designer stuff like Versace to Atticus and Vans to Next and FCUK things.

And My music taste is pretty much the same. I like Classical, Jazz, Blues, Rock, Metal, Emo, Pop, Metal, etc. But my 2 favourite bands would probably be... er...

Coheed and Cambria
Biffy Clyro
or Muse

Sorry. Not very helpful.
My clothing is generally an old leather jacket, a band t-shirt, jeans and either converse or red doc martens.
My fave bands are The Clash, Ramones and Stiff Little fingers.
Super Leeds and Classy Cas!
Quote by maXterbat0r
Nah, you could be in a jazz ensemble with corpse paint, and it'd still be jazz.

But I do listen to metallish music and wear jeans and T-shits, although I'm trying to get out of that rut.

T-shits, huh? well whatever floats your boat i guess...
Quote by umop-3p!sdn

Sorry. Not very helpful.

On the contrary darling, it's very helpful. I haven't decided whether i want to be proven wrong or not yet

Here's another one for you:

Have you ever been put off by a band's appearance before even listening to one of their songs?
I normally wear trackies (adidas trousers etc), football tops or band shirts and black/blue jeans
my fave 3 bands atm are Opeth, Manic Street Preachers and The Fratellis
Quote by 7DaySkeptic
I usually wear jeans a t-shirt and a military jacket, with no mention of bands or anything on them. I guess no-one can tell my fave bands atm are Fear Factory, Machine Head and Hatebreed. Although I don't dress like I'm into rap (chav)

What the hell are you talking about. Chavs like Dance. And generally, if youre into the whole "Rap" look, you go for a 'homie' or 'gangsta' look.

I have yet to see a rapper wear tracksuit bottoms or fake Burberry.
I listen to stuff like Nile, Decapitated, Necrophagist, Cannibal Corpse, Anaal Nakrath (cant spell it. Im over it), Regurgitate, Arsis, Inferi, ya know that such. Also alot of folk, country/pop type deals. Votolato, Iron and Wine ya know that deal. But I dress mainly in stuff like Abercrombie, Hollister, Aeropostale, but I always do the whole band shirt plus jeans bit now and then.
Quote by Yespleasevicar
NevermorePsalm thank you for showing me how clever and witty one person can be in just a few sentances. My God i wanna be like u so much! In fact we all do. Well done

Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt own my soul.
yeah it does . . . like i had a kid come up to me and said
'do you listen to emo music i can tell by your hair'
so the clothes, sometyimes fully done, can tell how hardcore you are towards your genre.
ie. i listen to my chemical romance for example, am a hardcore fan, and at a rancid concert people knew who i listened to. i had never seen them before.
good luck on your essay! i am very opinionated about this stuff too.
Smilestar<3
A smile is a curve that sets everything straight.

-Phyllis Diller
Quote by hollywoodfallen
On the contrary darling, it's very helpful. I haven't decided whether i want to be proven wrong or not yet

Here's another one for you:

Have you ever been put off by a band's appearance before even listening to one of their songs?

"Darling"... I feel loved

I would say yes. I have yet to listen to Bring Me The Horizon, and I never want to. Although one of my friends bands is supporting them...
Quote by maXterbat0r
But I wear T-shits

I lol'd
If you have something clever to say, don't bother, most people won't get it.

ZOMFG TEH SP33[) I-I4><!!1!

No... Herman Li's just really good...

"Yes I do like marmalade in my eggs! Thank you for asking!"

Quote by Chubbes_Hammet
How do you sig people?

Quote by maXterbat0r
...and wear jeans and T-shits, although I'm trying to get out of that rut.

you call that a rut?
Yeah lordi fans copy their clothes
kiddin

If u look at some of the more mainstream pop bands, everyone styles themselves on them
Equipment
Gibson - Les Paul Junior
Fender - Jagstang
Squier - Tom Delonge
Cort - Katana
Peavy - Vintage Electro-Acoustic
Marshall - MG100DFX

--> --> --> --> --> --> --> --> --> ...
I dress anything from hollister, american eagles or kirra all the way to sweats, nfl or band shirt or even a few german shirts i have. Doesnt really matter to me that much.

I listen to a lot of CR, alternative, techno(dance) and some hard rock. Metal rarely and rap even more rare.
Although, i once had a kid come up to me, dressed as a punk, asking me what the Gabba Gabba Hey patch on my jeans meant.

When i told him that it was The Ramones, he said "oh, don't they make t-shirts?"

I had to leave, quickly, for his sake.
Fashions and musical genres are usually both parts of a subculture. The way you dress doesn't define your music, but if you're into the emo scene or the metal scene or the punk scene or whatever, you're likely to appreciate the aesthetics that go along with it. Fashion does not influence music, but rather fashion and music are two forces that influence people.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
I listen to "emo" and indie a lot. I wear baggy jeans, with a t-shirt and a zip up hoodie usually.
Quote by pastfatalaties
you call that a rut?
Well, yes, since that's just about all I wear.
Knock yourself out.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
I normally wear ripped jeans and plaid shirts bet you cant guess what i like... and no looking at my avatar
Equipment
Gibson - Les Paul Junior
Fender - Jagstang
Squier - Tom Delonge
Cort - Katana
Peavy - Vintage Electro-Acoustic
Marshall - MG100DFX

--> --> --> --> --> --> --> --> --> ...
I listen to Guns N' Roses, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden and stuff like that. I have long hair, a nose ring, wear jeans, band t-shirts, and have a big wallet chain, so I guess that I fit the rocker stereotype.
I just wear a plain T and jeans everyday. Sometimes a band T, since most of the bands I like don't make Ts XXL. So, I guess you can tell I like Metal at times.
Well im into metal and always wear jeans and band t-shirts, thats how alot of metal bands dress these days i guess
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
I always jeans, not too baggy but not too skinny dark blue ones. With an assortment of t-shirts mostly compiled of black band t-shirts and various colour t-shirts with something funny on them. No sweatbands/wristbands because I don't really like them. My choice of footwear is my bisay blue or green converse. I also have long(ish) hair.

Top 3 bands/artists:

• Opeth
• Children Of Bodom
• Coheed & Cambria / Buckethead (can't choose)

Hope that helps you
i listen to Iron Maiden, Morbid Angel, Opeth, In Flames and Necrophagist mostly, and usually some of the "essential albums" highlighted by the Metal Rec Thread. i also listen to some Joe Satriani for instrumental music, the odd random bit of metalcore, and then some Offspring to top it off (first band i really got into).

despite everything i've just listed, my clothing usually consists of a pair of jeans and a random t-shirt (not a band shirt). to be honest, there's no way you'd be able to tell what i listen to just by looking at me.
Quote by Felkara
Dude, you just made the most intelligent post in this entire thread. Congrats.
I don't think it matters much. Like Scott Ian, for example, would wear Public Enemy shirts on stage.
No i dress like a hippie/semmi normal person and yet I listen mainly to metal

also one of the biggest metal heads i know looks like a total chav
You can yeah.
I have quite a varied music taste... so you could probably tell that i like some bands because of i wear, especially when im wearing band t-shirts, but you couldn't tell i liked both coldplay and killswitch engage and such.
I typically just wear jeans and T-shirt. Only have one band T-shirt to date, which is a Skinny Puppy one. I do tend to go for black, simply because I don't care for colours, although I have been known to startle folks by unexpectedly appearing in a tie-died Hawaiian shirt .

My musical tastes run a whole gamut of genres, from hip-hop to death metal to neofolk to electronica, but I don't advertise this in what I wear.

Clothes don't mean shit.... Joy Division dressed like normal folks, yet their music is far darker and 'Gothier' than Cradle of Filth, even though COF dress more in the typical 'Goth' style.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
It all depends.
Chances are that if you use old worn out jeans, leather coat, and a chain in your jean, you are an 80's old metal metalhead and hard rocker (like me ). But for example, DT are very good metal and they use very nice and formal clothes (buttons jackets, short hair...). Ian Gillan is teh hard rock, but still he once was in a tunic in a show, and in "hear n' aid" he uses a frickin pink suit.

So pretty much it defines what music people listen to. But there are a lot of exceptions.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||