I suppose it all started when I downloaded what I thought was a version of Red House by SRV. It didn't sound like SRV so I searched high and low and finally found a video. I was totally unaware that Prince was such an amazing player. The solo at the end of 'Purple House' was just so blistering-ly hot I was totally shocked.

Since then I've been through a thousand versions of Purple Rain, Let's Go Crazy, When Doves Cry, The Word, Fury and many others. I know that maybe he is not the most technically gifted players, or the fastest, but there's something about his playing. I've searched all over the net and through books to try and find some tips to be able to recreate his playing.

The solo on Purple Rain for example is one of the most melodic solos I know. His runs and licks are just so catchy and easy on the ear, but they also sound different to how everyone else does them. Not only that but he has some seriously fast vibrato. I'm not saying thats good, but it's always nice on those screaching high notes. WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO PLAY LIKE THAT!!?? Can ANYONE give my ANY tips or links or anything pleeeeaaase!!!?

P.S. I do realise that there are better players out there so please don't flame me saying he's crap. Just appreciate his uniqueness...
He is one of the greatest musicians, if not the greatest, of our lifetime. For his first few albums, he wrote and played every single instrument on the records. As you said, he has a great musical style and can easily hang with most guitar players out there.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
Quote by TUMFP
I do agree. Prince rocks. I also love his style, it's unique, in a good way too. As for tips/scales/etc. for his style, I will look into that.

Cheers man I appreciate it...
god, the solo is so simple, but it just sounds incredible, its like his souls running through the music, he puts so muhc passion into those notes, incredible, absoloutely, wow, a bit like watching Vai, except, well, damnit
PSN: Noverion
Thanks for that link !!!! And its just so nice that someone else understands his true musical GENIUS !!! Other people (such as my dad, who's a professional musican himself) always dismiss him as a guitarist. But thanks again
He was the best part of the superbowl.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Quote by dannyp196
Thanks for that link !!!! And its just so nice that someone else understands his true musical GENIUS !!! Other people (such as my dad, who's a professional musican himself) always dismiss him as a guitarist. But thanks again

Your Dad is a retarded faggot.
Just blues mixed with jazz, man. Check out Pete Townshend (the Who) for similarly influenced playing.
Mmmm, Prince is awesome. A big part of the way he plays is his attitude, kinda like the way you can't play SRV without first getting the attitude.

Check out the superbowl performance. That is killer, in drenching rain and thunder, Prince still delivers a blistering performance.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Guitars
'70s Hohner
Custom Schecter Cloud & Habibe
Ibanez George Benson
Fender Stratocaster (with bridge humbucker and Floyd Rose locking trem)

Stompboxes
Boss DS-2 Turbo Overdrive
Boss VB-2 Vibrato
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FL-2 Flanger
Boss OC-2 Octave
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Dunlop CryBaby wah
Dunlop Rotovibe.

Rack Gear
Digital Music MX-8 Midi Patchbay
Roland GP-16 - Preamp/Multi-FX
Zoom 9030 - Multi FX
Rane ME30 - Equalizer
Behringer Denoiser - Noise Supressor
Furman PL-8 - Power Conditioner
Furman PL-Pro - Power Conditioner
Furman AR-117 - Power Conditioner

Amps
Mesa/Boogie Heartbreaker
Mesa/Boogie Recto 2x12 (loaded with Celestion Vintage 30s).

Technique Wise:

-Lot of sustain
-soulful shredding
-BENDS BENDS BENDS
-RHYTHM - his rhythm is AMAZING
-His best songs are in B. Bb minor, close to his singing voice
-Hendrix, Benson, Santana, Brian May, Al Diemolla, Styx,are some of the influences HE has cited

Then you need the tabs:

http://pages.prodigy.net/thedawnofanewera/tab.htm - best site for Prince guitar tabs ever

also check out some tabs I have done for a song rocker with Hendrix vibe Bambi by Prince

If you want to sound like Prince, you have to have almost perfect Rhythm, so go listen to alot of James Brown records, specially Jame's voice.

Prince does not talk much about his playing, because he does not want people going out to buy a bunch of crap. Inbox me I can hip you to the real good shit.
Quote by dannyp196
WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO PLAY LIKE THAT!!?? Can ANYONE give my ANY tips or links or anything pleeeeaaase!!!?

All of Prince's guitar playing is based on playing blues, with a thorough knowledge and understanding of soul, funk and horns arrangement.
"This bores me...anyone up for a game of basketball?"

/Chapelle show.

Yeah, I didn't know Prince was so good until I saw the halftime show. I do like his playing.
Quote by tronsbasscool
This is my 5th account and I still havn't made any friends

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
Quote by kevinm4435
Wow, I thought I was the only one on UG who likes Prince.

I know...I'm actually in shock but I remember someone telling me he has a very firm grip on the pick...but with a very loose wrist action. Any confirmations on this?
Quote by One Way Ticket
Thats one of the worst lists ever.

Yeah...once you get past the top 3, it seems to go a tad off course...
Don't forget about trills! Prince has mind-blowing dexterity and can trill for hours.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
Quote by dannyp196
Yeah...once you get past the top 3, it seems to go a tad off course...

IMO the top three is way off aswell.
I'm back, you douchebags.
nah that super bowl show just doesn't compare with the studio recording this makes me want to go watch purple rain, which i can do thanks to being sad enough to own it on DVD
Official member #3 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join. Luthier's only .
Any list that has Clapton below the top 5 is crap.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83