Page 1 of 2
Metallica obvisouly is the one that comes to mind but does any one have any other bands who have shot themselves down the pooper?
Limp Bizkit.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Uhm. Dont make threads like this, they turn into flamefests. Just to say, Dimmu Borgir have not sold out, Cradle of Filth have. Cradle of Filth have sold out because they have changed their sound into something radio friendly, basically. Dimmu Borgir just have tons of money to spend on bigger orcehstras and better quality, but they have NOT sold out, regardless of some people's opinions on here. They still have the same overall sound as their first album, even on their newest album coming out soon, just with more epic scores and such.

Some other bands besides CoF:

Metallica
Trivium (not metal but whatever. One CD had screams and the next had metallica voices wtf?)

And thats it that I know of.
Changing for a record company would be selling out, but simply changing your sound could be a band's decision to go in a different direction, who knows if they were pressured to do so? So, really, who are we to say who is a sell out and who isn't unless we know the whole story? I agree with the mentioning of Metallica though, Napster, St. Anger... eck.
We Rock With Our Cocks Out: UG Naked Club FTW!!

Quote by HeavenlyVirus
how many George Bushs does it take to fix the economy? -1
The def. of selling out is changing style for money, if you change your style for a new direction thats perfectley okay but cradle of filth is a fine example of selling out
Last edited by Rything Shred at Mar 10, 2007,
Metallica did not sell out. So what if they changed their sound? Selling out would be doing what every one wants you to do I.E. Sticking to thrash even if you don't want to anymore. And how many tv ads have metallica in them. 0.
Hurrah for Angela Gossow for not being ashamed of being a sellout.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Metallica did not sell out. So what if they changed their sound? Selling out would be doing what every one wants you to do I.E. Sticking to thrash even if you don't want to anymore. And how many tv ads have metallica in them. 0.

They didn't have to do TV ads to sell out. They made St. Anger, for one, to appeal to the nu-metal crowd. And above that, they let their songs be made into lullabies.
My Main Gear:
ESP Eclipse II
Jackson RRT-5
Dean Michael Schenker Signature Yin Yang
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet
Definatly Angela Gossow. She openly admitted on the Arch Enemy boards that she writes radoi-freindly lyrics to get more money. I still like them, even if her vocals piss me off more than Randy Blythe's.
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
Quote by NoneMoreBlack

They tried to go with the times and nobody liked except for the media, I think The black album was a change in direction but Load was defintley selling out.
Metallica..

But the all time biggest rock sell outs : Kiss.
Current Gear :
Jackson USA Made SL1 Soloist (SnakeSkin Finish)
Jackson Jap Made SL1 Soloist!
And Ozzy sold out big time. He helps write a song like "War Pigs", and then 30+ years later attends a Republican press rally for George W. Bush. Bush embodies the song "War Pigs" to a tee. Sellout.
My Main Gear:
ESP Eclipse II
Jackson RRT-5
Dean Michael Schenker Signature Yin Yang
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet
If she's ok with the lyrics that she's writing, and she makes more money from it...hey, whatever works.

All the more to her.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
Quote by breadfan82
They didn't have to do TV ads to sell out. They made St. Anger, for one, to appeal to the nu-metal crowd. And above that, they let their songs be made into lullabies.

Did you even listen to saint anger? No. And so what if their songs are lulabies. Black sabbath's songs were made into lulabies too. Sell outs? Of course not.
**** off did metallica sell out so they changed there sound hasnt most bands over time
i think limp bizkits sold out to a certain extent but even they are alright
Quote by insideac
Dimmu Borgir have not sold out.Dimmu Borgir just have tons of money to spend on bigger orcehstras and better quality, but they have NOT sold out, regardless of some people's opinions on here

I love you dude.. Dimmu Borgir are my favorite band and I have had it with people saying that they are sellouts..
Shagrath stated that they dont want the same sound and style in every album , thats why they change from album to album.. Nothing sell out..
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Quote by breadfan82
And Ozzy sold out big time. He helps write a song like "War Pigs", and then 30+ years later attends a Republican press rally for George W. Bush. Bush embodies the song "War Pigs" to a tee. Sellout.

That has absolutely nothing to do with selling out...

Duh.

My Guitars:
Fender Mustang.
Yamaha FG-413SL.
I totally agree with the Angela gossow thing! Arch enemy was a great band until they dumped Johan, since then every album sounded gay!
Quote by insideac
Where did you find that?

Apparently, she openly admitted it on the band's forum.

Couldn't care less personally, I still love them
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
I don't think that Metallica sold out, they said that they just liked their new sound better... St. Anger, and (Re)Load aren't sellouts, they did what they wanted to do, I mean their fans didn't even like em.

Black Album miight be a sellout though
Quote by insideac
QFT

Haha, but yeah I agree with you on that. I'd rather not be arguing over all this stuff.
Quote by mr kipling
Definatly Angela Gossow. She openly admitted on the Arch Enemy boards that she writes radoi-freindly lyrics to get more money. I still like them, even if her vocals piss me off more than Randy Blythe's.

As if people could understand the lyrics

Wonder why no one has mention In Flames yet, and I would probably say Within Temptation to some degree.
There is no such thing as a "sellout". You people don't OWN Metallica, Ozzy, or any of the other musicians you're complaining about.

Music is supposed to be about expressing the ideas the musician FEELS like expressing, not about catering to every little demand made by the so-called "fans".

What, you would rather all musicians stay EXACTLY the same for for the course of their entire careers? What kind of music would that be?

Metal was not meant to be about artists conforming to popular demands. Yet anytime someone chooses to follow their own musical path, you label them a "sellout".

Shameful.

**steps down from soapbox, kicks soapbox with foot, and walks away**
A7x!
I don't really know...even Metallica changed their sound because they wanted to experiment, not solely for money. Most artists realease their music in hopes of it bringing some profit, otherwise if they didn't, they would just put it up for download and wouldn't care. I'd have to say Cradle Of Filth because no kvlt BM band should appear on the countdowns of Much Music or MTV. They changed their sound to appear to a new crowd, especailyl the more mainstream crowd, which I think is what selling out is in a sense. But CoF were always a ghey unkvlt unBM band so I couldn't care less.
I say selling out is alienating the majority of your fanbase by putting out highly commercial albums for THE SAKE OF BEING COMMERCIAL AND SELLING STUFF. Take the Chilli Peppers last album, it ended up becoming very commercially appealing, but that wasn't the goal. Take St. Anger. Metallica put it out a shitty album apealling to the flavor of the week music.

Metallica sold out hard.
Quote by fimbulwinter
There is no such thing as a "sellout". You people don't OWN Metallica, Ozzy, or any of the other musicians you're complaining about.

Music is supposed to be about expressing the ideas the musician FEELS like expressing, not about catering to every little demand made by the so-called "fans".

Uhh yeah, and people who are writing music in order to make money ARE sellouts, capish?
Pantera... they traded in their glam metal image and sound for a redneck image and groove metal sound

Big j/k though, I love both the old and new Pantera.
Last edited by clint160 at Mar 10, 2007,
Quote by breadfan82

He doesn't follow the "dis Bush" fad that the media and public seem to love at this point in time. If you ask me, the sellouts are the guys who constantly put out bullshit political albums just to seem like they are intellectual.
Quote by CowboyUp
He doesn't follow the "dis Bush" fad that the media and public seem to love at this point in time. If you ask me, the sellouts are the guys who constantly put out bullshit political albums just to seem like they are intellectual.

Excellent point. I'm surprised no one pointed out how Twisted Sister supported Arnold Schwarzenneggar in his election. (maybe because they don't belong in this forum...)
but still, I am so sick and tired of seeing all these god damn left-wing bands.
Quote by mydadisjewish
The obvious answer is SATYRICON you stupid ****s.

I didn't think Now, Diabolical was too bad...

Quote by clint160
Pantera... they traded in their glam metal image and sound for a redneck image and groove metal sound

Big j/k though, I love both the old and new Pantera.

Page 1 of 2