OK so I learned a bunch of scales in different positions, and I can play them up and down in each position. Great. The thing is, I can't do much with it. What's bothering me the most is that I can't jump from one position to another (for example start in the first position, and in the middle of the run slide to the third position and continue from there), so each time I try to improvise something I feel confined within the boundries of the position. Any tips on how I can proceed from here, and more importantly learn to 'see' where I'm going if I jump between positions?
For me its all about going from point a to point b. figure where you wanna start, find away to get to the finish. Once you have done that. there you go.
switch up rhythms, add notes that sound ok to use triplets, add bends on the top notes of each string, skip notes, play up and down quickly, idk, im not all that great
Quote by metaldud536
Because there is a bomb in the lasagna!

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
make loud howling noises and throw your feces at them whenever they bring it up, I suggest that your GF does the same.
one thing that really helped me learn to solo was just jamming over chord progressions or songs, it helped me figure out what sounded good for myself
Quote by nick83
one thing that really helped me learn to solo was just jamming over chord progressions or songs, it helped me figure out what sounded good for myself

Well, I do that, and I did develope an intuition, but what's bothering me is that I'm still going blind, I have no idea what I'[m playing if I just improvise on the spot. I wanna learn to be able to know what I do so that I won't end up hitting a bad note for every 10 that I play.
Yeah just ask yourself what sounds good what doesn't everytime you try to solo. even stopping in the middle of the solo asking yourself can I make it better? whatever sounds right and good. Go with your instincts.
Quote by SillyRabbit
Yeah just ask yourself what sounds good what doesn't everytime you try to solo. even stopping in the middle of the solo asking yourself can I make it better? whatever sounds right and good. Go with your instincts.

Well that still doesn't help me know what I'm doing. If I just go 'ok so I played E-0-2-3 A-0-2-4 and it sounded fine', I still have no idea what I just did. I thought that if I learn the scales I'll be able to see where I am in the scale and where I can go from there, but I don't unless I restrict myself to the current position.
you misunderstood me a bit. You use your scale shapes. start somewhere, anywhere you want. find out where you want to end. Use your imagination bro. Make patterns with your scale shapes up and down the fretboard. Make sure you know your scale shapes, stuff like that. I learnt how to do solo's just by playing scale shapes and variety of them up and down the fretboard. Starting somewhere, and ending somewhere. Just remember everything you play is based on a scale. Go read some stuff on the forums, or in the lessons. I have learnt alot latly just from talking to people on the forums/reading THEORY that Im so stubborn on reading.
Black Riven, learn the names of the notes on the fretboard, then learn the notes in whatever scale you want to use, that way there are no boxes.

And watch melodic control, its the best thing in the world.

And read and learn the link in my sig.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by BlackRiven
If I just go 'ok so I played E-0-2-3 A-0-2-4 and it sounded fine', I still have no idea what I just did.

I would start by first figuring out where the tonic or root is in each of the scale patterns you are using. Once you know that, try to start memorizing where the 3 and 5 are compared to the tonic in your pattern. That should help you start visualizing what you are doing and where you are on the fret board
Practice, Practice, Practice! Playing the same scales and same songs over and over is not practice.
Quote by SillyRabbit
For me its all about going from point a to point b. figure where you wanna start, find away to get to the finish. Once you have done that. there you go.

strangly that comment just helped me so much.
Quote by MotMandre
Practice, Practice, Practice! Playing the same scales and same songs over and over is not practice.

and what would you consider practice?
Black Riven, learn the names of the notes on the fretboard, then learn the notes in whatever scale you want to use, that way there are no boxes.

And watch melodic control, its the best thing in the world.

And read and learn the link in my sig.

Learning the notes is the way to go, if you're playing in A, just look for another A and move your scale to there.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
soloing is all about transitioning from one part of the fretboard to another. i try to come up with a riff in part a for instance and after i have it where i want i work on part b and then from there its just about finding a good transition to join them together.
Quote by BlackRiven
OK so I learned a bunch of scales in different positions, and I can play them up and down in each position.

Well, you've really answered your own question. If all you do is practice each finger
position up and down in a position, that's what your fingers and brain know. So when
it's time to solo, you're lost if you try and shift position in the middle.

You've only learned the fretboard in a very limited way so far. Practicing scales up &
down within a position is only a first step to get you accustomed to the basic shapes.
It's time to move on. Scale practice is never ending and open. If now you feel like
you're limited when you try and shift positions in a scale, don't you think it's time to
start practicing patterns that move between positions? The more you do of that, the
easier it will become when you try it on the fly in a solo.