Im looking for information on the proper form for both picking and strumming. So far Ive just tried to copy the form of my favorite guitarists by watching videos of them play. The problem with this is that the videos were made to show a performance, not the technical aspects of music. So there is alot of cutting and usually only a few seconds of good, imitateable footage.

Anyways I was hoping someone could give me a link to somewhere with information on this, or explain it to me here in the thread.

Heres a few questions to give an idea of what Im looking for:

When strumming do you use your wrist or forearm to provide the motion?

What do you do with the fingers that arent holding the pick, is there a difference between strumming and picking?(Ive seen people curl their fingers into sort of a fist, Ive also seen them place them on the pickguard for support when picking, etc...)

I know when you pick your not supposed to angle your pick, but is it the same with strumming?

Anyways, that should give you a place to start.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves
Let me forget about today until tomorrow.
why arnt you suppost to angle ur pick? i have read lots of things that say to did for certain types of pickin like tremolo
Better Dead Than Red
I'd say you should do what ever you feel most comfortable with which also makes the sound you are looking for,

Me personally, if I'm doing power chords my wrists provide the movement same with picking. When picking my pick isn't angled because it is most comfortable not and only angle it towards me if I'm looking for a hollow metally sound (string slap back) My fingers always furl out away from the strings.

Hopefully that might give you an insight?
Quote by MetalHead73
So I, with a broomstick(Just in case) walk right where they can see me and I said:

"You kids ever taken a broom up the ass?"

The look on their face was priceless, and they ran, and I mean ran like a bat out of hell.
Quote by ottomated
Im looking for information on the proper form for both picking and strumming.

Trust me on this mate, and I'm sure there are people on these boards with much more experience than me, but they'll tell you the same thing. Whilst there are 'rules of thumb' to follow, there are no 'proper' ways to play the guitar.

I'm sure years and years ago that students were instructed to play in a certain manner that 'conformed.' But it was the guitarists who refused to 'reform' that really created music. Or at least the music that we know today.

Bear that in mind and develop your own style.

When strumming do you use your wrist or forearm to provide the motion?

As an ultimate beginner I was taught to use my elbow as a fulcrom when strumming. But experience has taught me that it takes a combination of both. Having said that...... thats how I see it and how I do it. Everyone is different, as per my previous answer.

What do you do with the fingers that arent holding the pick, is there a difference between strumming and picking?(Ive seen people curl their fingers into sort of a fist, Ive also seen them place them on the pickguard for support when picking, etc...)

Whatever you want and whatever you feel comfortable with.

Lots of people will tell you on these pages that to play fast you can't anchor your pinky. I say bollox to all that. Although it depends on what you want to do, or where yur playing might take you. For instance I have absolutely no desire to play any shred type stuff, so if my particular style doesn't suit that style of playing, i'm not worried...... get it?

I know when you pick your not supposed to angle your pick, but is it the same with strumming?

Not sure where you've got that from, but I'm not about to slag it off. Mainly because I've never thought about it that much.

Hold your pick, whether strumming or picking, so that the notes/chords sound good. Who cares how or what you're holding as long as it sounds good?