my friend Jamie needs your help!

now heres the original email he sent out to some people asking for help. just to warn you its not great grammar or anything, but if you know anything that could help please reply as this is really really valuable work that he has potentially lost, most of which is basis for his music career, and invaluable.

thanks in advance for any help...

"i've been having a lot of problems with my home studio recently started to get somewhere when i realised the problem was i was running 1.1USB so i installed a 2.0 card. was having difficulty with the 2.0 dirvers so i downloaded new ones from the vendor site. started making progress once they installed everything was working then a message flicked up saying the contents of your G: was lost try saving it and something else, i pulled the drive out ASAP checked the contents and they were fine, i then put it in again the message came up again and the whole drive had been wiped and is now in RAW format I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO GET BACK THE CONTENTS OF MY DRIVE...I FEEL PHYSICALLY SICK AS I HAVE LOST THE LAST YEARS WORK I.E A WHOLE ALBUM AND MIXTAPE PLEASE HELP!!!

the model is the freecom classic sl hard drive 160gb, , basically i installed this new usb card 2.0 but i had no service pack on my comp for them to work properly so i downloaded microsoft service pack 2 from soft32.com

http://www.soft32.com/download_992.html

installed it but it was still having problems recognising the usb slots it said they were malfunctioning still so i downloaded the newest drivers from my usb card

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=1&CatID=1200&SubCatID=122

after that everything was working the drivers were working and they were recognised, so i was happy.

then i tried to load up cubase, cubase froze, and a little window popped up sayin the contents from my harddrive on g: cannot be found and to try backing it up and saving files, i pulled the harddrive out checked it on another comp it was fine all was there, then went through the same process again.....and it completely wiped my harddrive putting it in a RAW format with 0bytes....

i am running XP on 1gb of ram service pack 2, if you could contact me on my email address because i am now glued to my computer trying to fix this problem.

btw when i plugged my other harddrive in it came up with the exact same problem but i did not give it the time to wipe that harddrive. thank you

jamie"

so yeh if anyone can help with RAW formatted hardrives or anything that sounds relevant i appreciate it!

Tim Orme Esq
Tommy Emmanuel C.G.P = The Man

Quote by civildp1
wouldn't it be awesome if you pulled a girls panties off and she smelled like cake?

Quote by SupremeACL
My mom used to fart a lot. It sucked.
Last edited by Tim_Orme_Esq at Mar 10, 2007,
Ouch, that sucks.

I wish i could help, but i'm not sure if he can get it back, but what do I know?
F.U.B.A.R.
As far as I know when you delete something, it isn't actually physically deleted, but merely cleared to be overwritten. There are certain programs which can recover the raw data.
Yup, that happened to my 250Gb about a year ago.
RAW is when all you actual data is on the disk, but not available for Windows as it cannot find a suitable filesystem on the disk.
This is usually because of some slip in the production, as units that have this problem (Filesystem suddenly going RAW) shouldn't actually hit the stores but instead be taken out during test.
The chance of this happening again is present, so make sure to get a new disk once everything is recovered.

Now, FIRST; get a program called GetDataBack.
There are 2 version; GetDataBackFAT32 and GetDataBackNTFS, depending on how your disk was formatted. This is Pay-Ware, BUT: IT IS WORTH IT! Trust me. I usually don't buy ANYTHING that I don't have to. This program is definatly worth it!

If this disk also contained your operating system and everything else you'll need to:
1. Get hold of a new disk on which you can install XP and run everything from there
Or 2.: Take the disk to a friend and put it in his computer as a secondary disk, running everything from HIS OS.

Also, you're gonna need one of these: A spare disk capable of holding all the files you want to recover, or CD/DVD burner and burn everything onto CD/DVDs.

Now, the program is fairly easy to use once you've installed it. It will search your RAW drive for any files it may find. This will take some time, depeding on the size of the disk and how much info was stored on it. It will then contiune to present you with a list of files it has found that can be recovered.

NOTE! Files are stored in sectors on the disk, and when you delete a file, you don't physically delete it, your just remove the reference to it. This means that ANY file you have delete before which sectors have not yet been overwritten will also be shown. This meaning that you'll also be able to recover some files that you have deleted in the past.

Select the place you want to recover the files to and selected the files you want to recover. Then press 'Start' (or whatever the button's labeled). Be aware that not all files will have the exact same name it had under windows, and some filetypes, incl. some music/movies will be larger than the original because of compression issues.

Hope this helps.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
that sounds good, but is there an easier way to do it without using another spare drive/CD or DVD backups?
Tommy Emmanuel C.G.P = The Man

Quote by civildp1
wouldn't it be awesome if you pulled a girls panties off and she smelled like cake?

Quote by SupremeACL
My mom used to fart a lot. It sucked.
Nope. You need to put the data somewhere as you recover it, and you can't use the drive which it's being recovered from, as this drive has no file system (it's RAW remeber ).
If you format it in order to use it, your chances of recovery narrows.
Also, by formating and using the disk you run the risk of overwriting those sectors which contains the data you want to recover, thus making you unable to recover said data.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH