Allright: I'm starting to play, and want to choose between 2 guitarists. Which one, based on these descriptions, should I choose?

1. He's into mostly rock, mostly the 80's rock/metal kind; he has little accept for other genres, and I feel this limits him. He like G N' R, Pantera, Megadeth, some Metallica (very little), Deep Purple, Ozzy, Not so much Black Sabbath though etc etc. He's quite decent at the guitar, he can riff and all, but I've heard many better. He seems really unsure of himself, lacks charisma (a bit strong word, but) when playing, and he could benefit gaining some more confidence in himself (never smiles, nervous). He is also a slacker: he doesn't care about school, he does smoking and sniff even though he's a really small 14 year old. I'm afraid his lack of confidence limits him in his playing, and lack of charisma.

But the fact that he is unsure gives me the ability to control him to some extent. When writing songs, as long as I just use one of his riffs, I can structure the song as I want, and make it how I want it (which is what I wish).

2. He's into more modern rock/metal. Hammerfall, In Flames, Lamb of God, Seether etc etc. Maybe not my pick, I'd be leaning a bit more to the taste of no. 1.
He is much more confident, at least I get that impression. He does "Midnight" by Satriani and almost nails the "Canon Palmer" song, that classical song rockified, you know? So he's probably better than no. 1, if he isn't just bragging and blowing some steam. And he seems to have a stronger will, so he'd have more objections to my ideas and thoughts on songs. he'd want to be a bit more in charge, which I do not like *yeah, I'm acting like a self-good control freak, may be true*

So should I get no. 1, an easy controlable, but less charismatic, and less technical guitarist? Here I can take the spot-light a bit more, which is fine with me.

Or no. 2, a more confident, probably better guitarist, whom I will have to argue a lot more with? Here we have two charismatic people on stage, which could be good or bad, I don't know? Maybe we'll fulfill eachother?

OR, should I try to get both, so we have more punch and in the sound, but my bass may be suffering to the guitars (I sing as well). And then no. 2 can take over the bass for some songs, if I want to play some keyboard, or do just singing. This will probably result in MUCH more fighting, though, which I want to avoid.

Who should I choose, when I kinda want to be "the boss" here? I have a good knowledge when it comes to music, so I'm definetely up for it. I know I'm acting like an SOB, but I'm thinking of this as the chance to be more in charge than in my other band.

I'll find a drummer later :P

Thanks
member #7 of the "i remember when pokemon used to be cool" club.
Pm rhcp_freak or Tanglewoodguit to join.

Quote by tronsbassplayer
you no your a bassplayer when you Llsten to the best muslc NUMETAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I lol'ed SOOOOO hard at that one!!!
i agree with yam

and don't worry too much about losing your bass sound
you never lose as much as you expect
Me-You're a fucking retard
retard-DURRRRRRRR!
Me-So you agree?
retard-DURRRRRRRR!
2... you dont want a guitarist who sits around and does ... then it will be like the guy from the band RAT.
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
i would actually say 1, that is if his smoking dosen't effect the band and his attitude too much.
~gtrfrk

founder of the dunlop pick fan club

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

"Let the good times roll"
Well, no. 1 has little guts, and he wants to be a 80's rock band clique (is that how you spell it?). He only sticks to Zakk Wylde and Slash, has little respect for anything else :/ But I haven't really talked out with no. 2, and I see no. 1 a lot more at my spare time. No. 1's smoking isn't really that bad, it's just his drop-out, slacker attitude that bugs the hell outta me sometimes.

Quote by tronsbassplayer
you no your a bassplayer when you Llsten to the best muslc NUMETAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd say no 2. BUT if you get both of them it will sure be a great compromise.
signature
Quote by Bullet-Rule
I'd say no 2. BUT if you get both of them it will sure be a great compromise.

Yeah, the thought has indeed crossed my mind. But no. 1 is a bit sceptical to the thought (he wants to be a guitar god show-off boy, but does not have the ability)

So I was thinking this: I'll start up with no. 1, and after a while, I'll try convincing him to pick up no. 2 as well, and maybe they could erase what the other one is lacking. Two guitars is ALWAYS better than one, I agree on that, especially on solo-parts/harmonies/general sound, actually.

Quote by tronsbassplayer