I mentioned SGs and Les Pauls in my other thread just then and it got me thinking, whats better a SG or Les Paul. Just the standard one of each.
Manchester United
they both get different tones, you cantsay one is better or worse then the other, but i like the sg because of the better fret access and the thinner neck
Well, I can't speak for the Gibsons, but the Epi SG gives better access to the high frets, but I think that the LP actually plays a bit faster. They do sound differently too. Just go to a local store and play one of each to figure out what you like. Better is just a frame of reference.
Quote by madbass518
rbmason speaks the truth
Quote by guitarfreak042
i said it was the greatest movie of all time not the greatest comedy of all time......idiot....

Epi Les Paul
Epi Goth G400 Extreme
Crate GLX212
Quote by timo1
I think the bodys larger on a les paul

Yes. the LP is considerably heavier than the SG too, but it's more balanced. The SG is quite neck heavy and will dip on you, So you have to constantly have a hand on the fret board to support it.
Quote by madbass518
rbmason speaks the truth
Quote by guitarfreak042
i said it was the greatest movie of all time not the greatest comedy of all time......idiot....

Epi Les Paul
Epi Goth G400 Extreme
Crate GLX212
SGs have a clearer, more biting, mid honking tone.

Les Pauls are warmer, thicker sounding.

I love both, I used to hate SGs till I found the combo of SG and Fender Amp - A tonal orgasm.
I personaly prefer Les Pauls to an SG.To me an SG is neck heavy but,they are also lighter then a LP by several pounds.Tone wise they both sound great so its your call what sounds and feels best to you.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
i defffinatly like Les Pauls more than SG's they have that killer tone that cant be duplicated, it plays itself to, they did so many things right with that guitar, and thats wwhy its the greatest, in my opinion.
"I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to."~Jimi Hendrix...
Haven't played a Gibson SG, but I've played an Epiphone SG and it was horrible =\.

I really do like Les Pauls though...
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Well it's like saying do you prefer apples or oranges?
They both have their own good qualities and ultimately "better" is up to the individual player.

I love the feel of SG's but my vote goes to the Les Paul. I love the thicker tones and the neck is great. It's just an amazing guitar, plus Les Paul's are t3h sex.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Mar 10, 2007,