I started playing electric 6 months ago. About 6 weeks ago I decided to also get an acoustic, and bought a Yamaha FG730S. The strings have gone a bit dead, so it's time to get some new ones. I'm just after a little advice.

My electric has 9-46 strings. With these, I have no problems barring, but on the acoustic, which I'm told are 12's, I'm struggling. My question is, should I go something like 10-47 (similar to my electric), persevere with 12's, or compromise with say 11-52's? My action is a little high, so lighter guage hopefully wouldn't need a truss rod adjustment, although I guess intonation may be a problem.

Secondly, I was looking at D'Addario strings, but do coated strings really last 3-4 times longer than standard ones, or is it just a marketing thing?

Do any make/type of strings suit the Yamaha FG730S better than others?

Any other advice appreciated.

Oh, one more quick one. To get the peg thingies out, is it just a case of gripping and pulling, or do you have to cut the strings, then push them from the inside.

Thanks.
play 12s, it makes your fingers stronger (I shit thee not) and, when you put 11s on an acoustic guitar, i think it sounds like absolute shit
persevere, yes, no

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Some coated strings last for so long, sometimes they are worth it, and sometimes they aren't. If you get the right brand (I don't know what brand it is wait for someone else to say) but they don't go dead for months.

Also, use .12's because they make your fingers stronger, it's sort of a thing like, you play acoustic for a while with .12's, your fingers get stronger and it becomes easier to play. Then when you go to electric its like "Woah, this is so easy to play!"

So yes, you should stick with .12's and get used to them.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Stick with the 12's, you'll get used to them and they have a fuller sound.

As for strings I personally like the tone of Martin ones.
Moonchild of Rory Gallagher Fan Club PM dazzler16 to Join

Quote by PinkIsCool
UG- The only place where a heartwarming moment can easily be turned into an act of homosexuality and incest.

Meh, do not get Martins, I'd go with D'addarios, get EXP's if you like the coated ones.
Oh and I just put 9's on my acoustic, and they sound great, very bright and great harmonics. But they don't last that long.
Quote by Socks
My question is, should I go something like 10-47 (similar to my electric), persevere with 12's, or compromise with say 11-52's?

i'd say persevere with the 12s. it'll be good for your strength and stamina and they sound better.

Quote by Socks
Secondly, I was looking at D'Addario strings, but do coated strings really last 3-4 times longer than standard ones, or is it just a marketing thing?

they definitely last a great deal longer... 4 times longer, maybe, maybe not. i think they are worth the extra money though.

Quote by Socks
Oh, one more quick one. To get the peg thingies out, is it just a case of gripping and pulling, or do you have to cut the strings, then push them from the inside.

it's basically just gripping and pulling. you don't need to cut the string, but you do need to have it really really loose. i usually just take all of mine out of the tuning pegs before i remove the bridge pins. sometimes the bridge pins can be a little hard to get out. if you have one that's being stubborn there are a few things that can help. one thing to try is grab the string about two inches or so above where it goes into the bridge, hold it perpindicular to the soundboard and gently pull it tight (not really really tight or anything, just take out the slack) and then push the string down. if that doesn't work the next best thing to do is usually to try to push the bridge pin out from inside the guitar. use one hand to brace the soundboard next to the bridge and stick your other hand in the soundhole and push up on the bridge pin from inside. if it won't come out and your thumb/finger starts to hurt, use a coin or a pick between your finger and the pin.