My guitar teacher pisses me off. He's trying to make me love Jazz and forces me to bring home CDs and listen to them, then next lesson he asks me what I though of it (So much for not listening). Not that i'm against Jazz or anything, I mean, I have heard great Jazz musicians, but this is being forced on me. The man is obsessed with it. And I prefer Rock music. Lots of Rock, Alt., Psychadelic, Heavy, etc. I have thought of quitting him, and getting lessons at Wade's (Local Guitar Shop). They promise "No Mary Had A Little Lamb, let there be ROCK!" Should I quit him and get lessons there, or stick with "Mr. Jazz"?
My gear
Fender Bullet Reverb Amp
Foxxe Strat Copy
I Guitar Hero
Jazz is awesome, but try and tell him that right now, Jazz isn't what you're looking for, that you want to play more metal. Make sure to acknowledge that jazz is good music, so he won't be offended.
If he won't teach you what you want to learn, pay him in Wampum, or trout.

that'll learn him.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Tell him you don't like jazz. Simply azz
Quote by MightyAl
I lean towards Butthole Surfers because only a butthole would carry a surfboard around a town.

Teh Gearz:

Cruiser Stratocaster
Feng Ling G15 Amplifier
Digitech Grunge Pedal
Daphon E20PH Phaser Pedal
If they tell you "No Mary Had A Little Lamb, let there be ROCK!" then you are gonna get a shtty teacher in my opinion.
Don't change teacher IMO
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Jus tell him what you want, dont mention you like jazz co he'll probably push it on you more. If your straight with him your gonna get better lessons, but if he persists then kick him the balls. And again. And again.
Done!
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

Quote by Dirge Humani
IF you'd pull your head out of your ass and tried to appreciate the music more, then you wouldn't hate it as much. He is probably making you listen to it so that you'll discover how to improvise better and become interested in the theory behind it.

Didn't you see him say it was forced upon him?. He said he does respect it, he just doesn't want it forced upon him.
F.U.B.A.R.
If you can gain a good understanding and capability with jazz, rock music becomes extremely easy, and you'll be able to incorporate unique touches on the music - comping, more theory based solos (rather than chord - scale).

Plus - your rhythm skills will turn 9/10 women on.
GET A TEACHER THAT TEACHES THE MUSIC YOU LIKE!

if you get a teacher that teaches the music you like, you will practice way more which will cause you to become a better guitarist

i had 2 other teachers before my current teacher, one taught me crappy baby songs, the other was a jazz guy, in the end the teacher i have now teaches me shred/metal and i have progressed so much and learned so much theory

get a new teacher

-axe
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*
My teacher did the same thing to me - and know what?

I love jazz, I've applied to jazz programs at the universities, my audition involved a Charlie Parker piece. I can comp my own chords, my solos are more than just pentatonic (as much as I love me some pentatonic).

It's overall made me a much better player.
Quote by Dirge Humani
IF you'd pull your head out of your ass and tried to appreciate the music more, then you wouldn't hate it as much. He is probably making you listen to it so that you'll discover how to improvise better and become interested in the theory behind it.

Agreed. Jazz owns you. It's for your own good.
LOL
Quote by DownInAHole.
Agreed. Jazz owns you. It's for your own good.

not in soviet russia
Quote by AzureNight
Don't worry guys, he's just bitter because he has a small dick.

Quote by Alexander_BR
You know that good feeling when you take a crap, gay sex is like that

Proud member of the Cardboard Mafia. Search "free boxes" for info.
look man I know it sounds annoying and real bullshit for now,

but if you swallow your pride and just go with this I SWEAR you'l be better than if you didnt take it.

look at megadeth, Chris Poland was originally a jazz slinger and look at the ****er shred in the first couple albums. Or even guys like Alexi Laiho, he HATED classical guitar but he learned it anyway and he says so himself it made him better than if he hadn't taken it.

It's up to you, but if you take jazz i can guarantee you're gonna own almost anybody when you figure out how to put the skill behind it into rock/metal
How can he enjoy guitar if he's being forced to learn a style he doesn't want to play? I understand its important to open your mind to other genres, but not at the risk of killing your love for guitar. Get a different teacher, or talk to him about it.
Who dat?
Jazz style will help you get better when it comes to Rock. Just think do you wanna be like EVERY other guitarist just playing standard Rock Solos? With jazz you can make em a little ...well...Jazzier.