im prettymuch a noob when it comes to microphones. is a shure sm57 a good mic to record with? Someone told me no because it wasnt a condensing mic but im not sure what the difference would be.
thanks
It depends WHAT you're recording. The ideal mics for recording drums, vocals, and guitars can be very different.
PRS Custom 22
Epiphone LP Custom
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T

Fender PT-100 Tuner
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon
Digitech Tone Driver
MXR Phase 100
Ernie Ball VP Jr Volume Pedal

Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Road King
'69 Fender Super Bassman
oh well ill mainly be recording guitar with it, maybe some drums but not much at all. guitar is the main thing i want to record
Yep a Shure SM57 is your best bet if you want to record electric guitar.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

alright, also what is condensing? i know it makes the sound not break up like on some crappy mics but i would think i would need that if i wanted to record loud guitar.
how do you set it up? do you just put the SM57 in front of the amplifier or what?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
how do you set it up? do you just put the SM57 in front of the amplifier or what?

thats what i would do, then hook it up to a usb interface then into a computer
Quote by thrice07
im prettymuch a noob when it comes to microphones. is a shure sm57 a good mic to record with? Someone told me no because it wasnt a condensing mic but im not sure what the difference would be.
thanks

Whoever told you that is an idiot. An SM57 is THE mic to mic an amp with or record an amp with.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
sennheiser 421s do the job as well, and you can combine a sm57 and a 421.
Yes the SM57 is not a CONDENSOR mic, and NO you do not need one for recording a guitar. A condensor mic refers to the shape of the mic capsule, and is generally used for recording acoustic instruments and vocals, but both can be used for pretty much any task - some just sound better for certain applications than others. The capsule is shaped like a heart, and blah blah blah blah.

All you need to know - get the SM57 or the Senn. and don't listen to whoever told you, you needed a condensor the that situation - you could use a condensor but you don't NEED it, and even if you had a huge budget for a condensor I would recommend the SM57, heck even if you had a million dollar studio I would recommend the SM57. I could talk for much longer on how a condensor works vs. a dynamic, but you do not need to know that at this point, and would probably not read whatever I wrote anyways as it would be really boring.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Last edited by thrice_removed at Mar 12, 2007,
Quote by thrice_removed
Yes the SM57 is not a CONDENSOR mic, and NO you do not need one for recording a guitar. A condensor mic refers to the shape of the mic capsule, and is generally used for recording acoustic instruments and vocals, but both can be used for pretty much any task - some just sound better for certain applications than others. The capsule is shaped like a heart, and blah blah blah blah.

All you need to know - get the SM57 or the Senn. and don't listen to whoever told you, you needed a condensor the that situation - you could use a condensor but you don't NEED it, and even if you had a huge budget for a condensor I would recommend the SM57, heck even if you had a million dollar studio I would recommend the SM57. I could talk for much longer on how a condensor works vs. a dynamic, but you do not need to know that at this point, and would probably not read whatever I wrote anyways as it would be really boring.

You mean a condenser mic?

@threadstarter: Get the SM57. Great choice.
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
^ lol - yes thanks for the spelling edit.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call