Page 1 of 3
Considering the difference of price. What's the difference between the Mexican Strat and the American Strat?
███
██████████
███████████
██████
████████
POLL!
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Is it worth it to get a Bridge SD Humbucker for the Mexican Strat? My Mex. Strat has 3 single coiled pick ups and I was considering of upgrading it.
███
██████████
███████████
██████
████████
Ya the quality of the components is much better on the American series. That being said, in my opinion, they have the same feel, and look about the same. The key thing for me is that the American sounds 100x better stock than a stock Mexi strat and the American will last a lot longer. Plus the fact that you get bragging rights saying that you own an American Strat.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
i thkn everyone knows the obvious answer to this question, it's obviously just the quality of how it's made and what it's made with
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens~jimi hendrix

My Gear:
ESP kH-202
Crate FXT 120
yamaha 500(keyboard)
1967 fenderbandmaster halfstack
schecter c1 hollow body
Pedals:
original crybaby wah
flutter pedal
boss mt-2
He asked with consideration of the price. IMO, an MIM strat is a better VALUE then an MIA, which is still a better value than a lot of other guitars. Since they upgraded in 2006, MIM's have become pretty high quality and a super value. Nothing I've played in the same price range comes close. Yeah, an MIA is better and is made with more quality, that's why it costs more. Whether or not that extra cost is worth it depends on what you want to do with it.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by Ex'sAndOh's
Is it worth it to get a Bridge SD Humbucker for the Mexican Strat? My Mex. Strat has 3 single coiled pick ups and I was considering of upgrading it.

If you like the feel of the guitar, then it's definitely worth upgrading it's components. And I certainly don't think you'll go too far wrong when upgrading a MIM Fender. They're good guitars, great values, and worth improving. If the time ever comes to sell it, I think you get that money back, too.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
If you like the feel of the guitar, then it's definitely worth upgrading it's components. And I certainly don't think you'll go too far wrong when upgrading a MIM Fender. They're good guitars, great values, and worth improving. If the time ever comes to sell it, I think you get that money back, too.

Thanks slats
███
██████████
███████████
██████
████████
Quote by Ex'sAndOh's
If you play music that is suited for a humbucker sound then you should upgrade it. Check to see if the guitar is routed for a humbucker, which it most likely is, and all you need is a new pickguard and some knowledge on how to solder. I put a SD TB-4 in my MIM SSS Strat and left the 250k pots in and it's still plenty bright. There seems to be some confusion out there about Fender spacing - yes you do want a Trembucker or f-spaced pickup.
^u sure u need f-spaced?

i think its regular. anyway, most MIM have plenty of room for a humbucker, like said.
just swap the guard.
the bridge isnt on a tone knob anyway, so ur all set.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^ +1 EDIT: that was to the guy above jenny. I have no idea if it's f-spaced or not, just measure the pole-pieces. It was more a +1 to the general idea.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by backtothe70s
POLL!

he didnt say which is better. we wanted to know whats the difference
Member #4 of the Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club. PM iamtehwalrus768 to join.
Quote by jj1565
^u sure u need f-spaced?

i think its regular. anyway, most MIM have plenty of room for a humbucker, like said.
just swap the guard.
the bridge isnt on a tone knob anyway, so ur all set.
The pole-pieces on the TB-4 line up exactly with the strings so...yeah they need f-spaced p-ups. And I e-mailed Seymour Duncan and told them what guitar and bridge I had, and they replied that stock Fender bridges need f-spaced or trembucker p-ups.

From Dimarzios FAQ: A long time ago (in the 20th century, actually) the electric guitar world was divided between Gibson and Fender designs. One of the differences between the two was string spacing. In general, Gibson chose a narrower string spacing at the bridge than Fender, and therefore the polepieces on Gibson humbuckers were closer together than the magnets on Fender pickups. When guitar shops started installing humbuckers in the bridge position of Strats, it was obvious that the strings didn’t line up with the polepieces, and if the E strings were too far outside, the sound could suffer. Our first humbuckers followed the original Gibson spacing, and we call them standard-spaced. When we released our first humbuckers with wider spacing, Floyd Rose bridges were very popular. Floyd string-spacing is the same as Fender spacing, so we naturally called the new pickups F-spaced.
How do I know which spacing to use?
F-spaced pickups measure 2.01" (51 mm) center-to-center from the first polepiece to the sixth. Standard-spaced pickups measure 1.90" (48 mm). Although some players believe that F-spaced pickups are only for the bridge position of tremolo bridge guitars, many guitars with fixed bridges (including late 1990s Gibson Les Pauls and Epiphone LPs) should have F-spaced pickups in the bridge position. Most tremolo equipped guitars that have a nut width of 1-11/16” (43mm) or more should also use an F-spaced pickup in the neck position. If you’re replacing a bridge-position pickup and you're not sure what your string-spacing is, it's usually better to get an F-spaced model. It is not necessary for the strings to pass exactly over the center of the polepieces for best performance, but it is wise to avoid a situation where the E strings are sitting completely outside of the outer polepieces.
Last edited by malibuclc at Mar 10, 2007,

great info. mine line up wt the standard spaced. but u know, measure up urs and get what works best.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Found this using google

Standard Series (Mexico)

Body: 5 to 7-piece alder with maple or birch veneer. Sunburst models have maple veneer Note: due to periodic material availability issues, alder cores are sometimes used
American Series (U.S)
Body: Current specs: 3-piece alder for solid colours and 3-tone sunburst. White blonde and natural are 2 or 3-piece ash (Non-Veneered)

Standard Series

Body Routing: 1-humbucking, 2-single coil
American Series
Body Routing: Current specs: 3-cavity universal rout(hum/sing/hum). Older models have the "swimming pool" rout

Standard Series

Body Finish: Polyester (finished in Mexico)
American Series
Body Finish: Polyurethane (finished in USA)

Standard Series
Neck: 1-piece maple milled in the Corona plant
American Series
Neck: 1-piece maple milled in the Corona plant

Standard Series

Truss Rod: Standard headstock adjust (single rod).Relies on string tension for concave adjustment
American Series
Truss Rod: Bi-Flex headstock adjust. Allows for true concave and convex adjustment

Standard Series
Neck Finish: Polyurethane
American Series
Neck Finish: Polyurethane

Standard Series
Frets: 21 standard frets (small)
American Series
Frets: 22 highly detailed Medium Jumbo frets

Standard Series
Machine Heads: Imported cast/sealed
American Series
Machine Heads: Fender/Schaller cast/sealed

Standard Series
Logo: Silver transition logo
American Series
Logo: Vintage spaghetti logo

Standard Series
String Tree: 1-standard butterfly
American Series
String Tree: 1-hardened steel "Easy Glider." Reduces friction thus improving tuning stability.

Standard Series
Neck Attachment: Standard 4-bolt
American Series
Neck Attachment: 4-bolt "Micro-Tilt." Allows instant string "action" adjustments

Standard Series
Pickups: MIM standard single coils with slug pole-pieces and ceramic magnet on bottom of coil. Mid pickup is reverse wound/reverse polarity Pickups:
American Series
Pickups: MIA single coils with alnico magnets. Middle pickup is reverse wound/reverse polarity

Standard Series
Electronics: CTS Pots, Grigsby switch
American Series
Electronics: CTS Pots, Grigsby switch

Standard Series

Wiring: Original (no tone control for bridge pickup)
American Series
Wiring: "No Load" tone control on Bridge & Mid pickup. Standard 250k tone control (neck pickup)

Standard Series
Bridge: Imported standard Synchronized tremolo. 6-mounting screws; stamped saddles
American Series
Bridge: MIA 2-Point Synchronized tremolo –mounting screws; hardened stainless steel saddles.

Standard Series
Strap Buttons: Vintage style
American Series
Strap Buttons: Schaller straplock ready (straplocks & embroidered strap included)

Standard Series
Case: Optional SKB molded case (guitar can be ordered with case)
American Series
Case: SKB standard molded case

Standard Series
Assembly/Tune/Test: Mexico
American Series
Assembly/Tune/Test: U.S.A.
Like I have always said...

Get a MIJ strat.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by JC13
American uses better quality woods, hardware, and pretty much uses better quality on everything on the guitar..even the way they make them.

Not true.

All the guitar hardware produced for North American operations, whether assembled at the Corona, Ca factory or at the Ensenada, Mexico factory is produced at Corona.

Additionally Fender North America has only one line of hardware components in production. Having a second line would cost too much money compared to any savings that could be made or advantages.

So the hardware is exactly the same. Chances are though that there are 2 quality control grades at the chain output: one grade for US assembly and one for mexican assembly, additionally to any discarding grade.

What goes on in the Ensenada factory:

- manufactures strings, pickups and wooden amplifier cabinets.
- sanding, painting of rough guitar necks and bodies shipped from the Corona factory
- assembly of guitars and amplifiers with the MIM stamp.

All other guitar parts, like hardware, and amplifer parts like circuit boards and metal chassis, are manufactured at the Corona Factory.
Quote by Jinskee
Like I have always said...

Get a MIJ strat.

+1
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
For the record, and only semi-on topic: I installed a non-f-spaced JB in my Ibanez (same bridge spacing as my Strat), and it works fine across all the strings. The only time I run into any volume issues is if i'm downpicking on the high e or alternate picking on the low E with amp gain up full and guitar volume down around one or two.
I have a Mexican strat for now* because I didn't want to spend too much money on my first electric, I'll probably switch to an American strat or maybe even a telecaster in a year.
^dont toss it out yet, ive had mine over 10 years, my fav or all my guitars.

and TS just want's to know if he should upgrade,*THE PICKUPS then i say yes.

danno.

Chips, some of that info might be outdated. even my last squier was only a 3 piece.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Mar 11, 2007,
the only thing i dont like about the MIM SSS is that the bridge pickup sounds way to edgy and sharp because they are ceramic pickups. I presume the American series has alnico so it wont be as edgy. However the bridge pickup is the only one that really sounds bad imo on an MIM.
I have a HSS MIM strat and the bridge pickup is way better than the single coil in my opinion
^i didnt like my bridge pup either. but that's easy enought to fix
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
^i didnt like my bridge pup either. but that's easy enought to fix

Do you mean adjust the pickup height or upgrade it? or something
Last edited by striker327 at Mar 11, 2007,
ohh sorry, i meant swap the pickups.

that's pretty much what i was talking about in my post up there. when i said upgrade it. i meant swap out the pickups NOT upgrade for a different guitar.

anyway, it's not hard.

if u just want to ajust the pickup, u can try connecting it to a tone pot. that's easy enough.
or raising the bass side of the pickup, see if that balances out a little more.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by bornfidelity
He means upgrading it!

it's she. and i edited a more specific answer.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

well if u upgrade the pickups you might as well call the MIM strat, American (on the other hand it depends what pickups you upgrade to)
^well, not quite. they improved the MIM necks, but even still, there's a big different in feel and fretwork.
also the tuners and bridge are a big difference.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

ok... fair enough. Going off the subject, do u reckon it is ok to buy a guitar off ebay
i dont, but if i did i would make sure the seller was private owner, and had a perfect record.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

^ that guy. the necks they put on the MIM strats are inferior to the necks they put on the MIA strats, doesnt matter if they make them in my basement.

it's not the same guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Yeah the info I listed could be outdated, but I don't care. I'm getting a Classic Player '60s strat, which is $800 and should be better than a standard MIA. Custom Shop pickups, 2-point trem w/ vintage saddles, 12" radius, vintage style tuners, etc.. It's gonna be sweet
^the classic series is nice. and at $800 is twice the price of a standard MIM.

but they give u a good guitar for the money. congrats.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Generally the Americans are better quality, but then there's the dilemma of spending so much more on one rather then modding the MIM.
Also, you can find MIMs that rival the American ones, I found one, you've just gotta' play a lot.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
the MIAs are made with more expensive materials but the MIMs are better value for money, because mexicans are cheaper to employ or something.

Quote by R H C P
Also, you can find MIMs that rival the American ones, I found one, you've just gotta' play a lot.

same here, my mexican strat is as good as any american strat i've played if not better, and it only cost me £240 because someone had traded it in for an american strat lol.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
^Oh the irony.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
If you got the money for an American, get it. You'll never want to get rid of your american, but you will of your mexican.
Quote by Shea Donoghue
"WHY DON'T YOU JUST F*CK OFF?!" So I ran up to her face and went "FINE, I F*CKING WILL" and stuck my hands down my pants and started masturbating. My friends were pissing themselves laughing while she just went "JESUS CHRIST"
Page 1 of 3