I'm reading up on it and I'm wondering....What is the difference between 4/4, 4/8, or 4/2? Thanks
well i thkn if it's like 6/4 it's 6 notes to 4 beats. if it's like 4/8 then it's 4 notes that last for 8 beats. i think
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens~jimi hendrix

My Gear:
ESP kH-202
Crate FXT 120
yamaha 500(keyboard)
1967 fenderbandmaster halfstack
schecter c1 hollow body
Pedals:
original crybaby wah
flutter pedal
boss mt-2
The top number means how many beats in a bar. The bottom number shows how much a quarter note is worth. In 4/4 time, you have 4 beats per bar, and a 4 on the bottom means that a quarter note gets one beat.

If the bottom number is a 2, then a quarter note would get a half beat. That means that a half note gets a full beat. If the bottom number was 8, then an eighth note would get a full beat.

However, when in 6/8 time, we often count in 2. We can count in 6, but it is a rather fast count so we just count in 2s.

Hope that all made sense.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Last edited by justin_fraser at Mar 10, 2007,
As far as sound, there is no difference. A song could be written in 4/4, 4/8, or 4/2 and sound exactly the same. The difference is in notation. 4/4 means that there are 4 (top number) beats to a bar and the quarter note (bottom number) gets the beat. 4/8 means that there are 4 (top number) beats to a bar and the eigth note (bottom number) gets the beat. 4/2 means that there are 4 (top number) beats to a bar and the half note (bottom number) gets the beat.

This is for simple time. Compound time is different. Run a search if you do not know about compound time.
Quote by justin_fraser
...when in 6/8 time, we often count in 2. We can count in 6, but it is a rather fast count so we just count in 2s. Hope that all made sense.
We don't often count in two, we always count in two in 6/8 time. Always. Every time. Every single time, without exception. In each and every instance. Without fail, we count in two in 6/8 time.

I'm not picking on Justin, as apparently this misconception is rampant throughout the guitar-playing world. But please everyone, all together now, get it out of your heads once and for all that the top number always gives the number of beats per measure, and the bottom number always indicates which note gets the beat.

Time signatures do work this way if they're simple time signatures, but they don't work this way if they're compound time signatures.

If you don't understand what you've just read, please take this introductory lesson on time signatures.

One of the things that identifies a musician as a professional is his or her understanding and proper interpretation of time signatures. Be professional. And have a great day!

gpb
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
Quote by gpb0216
We don't often count in two, we always count in two in 6/8 time. Always. Every time. Every single time, without exception. In each and every instance. Without fail, we count in two in 6/8 time.

I'm not picking on Justin, as apparently this misconception is rampant throughout the guitar-playing world. But please everyone, all together now, get it out of your heads once and for all that the top number always gives the number of beats per measure, and the bottom number always indicates which note gets the beat.

Time signatures do work this way if they're simple time signatures, but they don't work this way if they're compound time signatures.

If you don't understand what you've just read, please take this introductory lesson on time signatures.

One of the things that identifies a musician as a professional is his or her understanding and proper interpretation of time signatures. Be professional. And have a great day!

gpb

Oh, ummm, ok. This guy didnt understand what 4/4 time meant, never mind some crazy compound time signatures bud. Damn.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by justin_fraser
Oh, ummm, ok. This guy didnt understand what 4/4 time meant, never mind some crazy compound time signatures bud. Damn.
No no no, this is important stuff.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
No no no, this is important stuff.

Oh no doubt. But I imagine the threadstarter if having a tough time with the first stuff nevermind that crazy stuff. Sorry if i came across as ignorant before. That wasnt my intention.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh

Screaming Help
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Do you have an alert on your desktop for whenever there's a question about time signatures on here?
I'm sure it must seem that way, and it also no doubt seems that I'm an over-the-top nutcase about time signatures. But this is foundational knowledge, and I am admittedly very sensitive to errors in this area. I surf this forum several times a day and try very hard (not always succesfully) to stay out of opinion-type questions and answers. But when I see factual error, something just comes over me and I can't stop myself. This probably makes me a jerk, on top of everything else, but there it is.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.