Alright, so Im playing in my freshman talent show this tuesday (im playing fade to black by myself over a backing track) and this will be my first real time playing in front of a lot of people. Any pointers for me?? Im am not nervous right now, but Im sure I will be shitting my pants come tuesday. How do I stay calm? I know the music really, really well, but I am just terrified of freezing halfway through and forgeting everything. So please, give me some advice, and if you want, share about your first time.
play like you would play in your room alone.....play for yourself....have fun.....that is all
"I count the days to find, what was left behind. All of these names I clutch, will lead me to my home. Mothers and fathers start, to drown the living proof.....I cant remember these Lakes of Blood." - Cedric Bixler-Zavala
Pretend everyone in the audience is naked.
It's true, this stuff I make up.
~Dom~
you will get really nervous just before you play, but once the music is going you´ll feel more relaxed
Se habla español

Quote by pinheadslts75
People come up with the dumbest names for sexual acts. And the most disgusting concepts for sexual acts.

I'm tempted to report this thread because of how weird this is getting.

I saw x/taluha get her clock
No matter what you do you wont stay calm on your first gig. But dont worry, after you get on stage you'll probably have a lot of fun, bonus points when you play with a band. After a while you'll start to like that nervous feeling before playing too. Trust me, its one of the best things out there, at least for me.
"...I cried. Just for a second. Then I thought, 'I must rock.' "
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

to be honest..
i thought i'd be shitting playing in front of my school
but when the time came i stepped up & loved every minute.
after speaking to my music teacher he said its purely because i was confident i could play my parts & that's all it is.
if you can play your parts really well what do you have to fear?
Fender American Deluxe Telecaster
Marshall JCM800
Boss Tu-2, Os-2, DD-3
Quote by Calvero
No matter what you do you wont stay calm on your first gig. But dont worry, after you get on stage you'll probably have a lot of fun, bonus points when you play with a band. After a while you'll start to like that nervous feeling before playing too. Trust me, its one of the best things out there, at least for me.

just played first gig in forever last night and I totally know what your talking about.....it was an amazing experience
"I count the days to find, what was left behind. All of these names I clutch, will lead me to my home. Mothers and fathers start, to drown the living proof.....I cant remember these Lakes of Blood." - Cedric Bixler-Zavala
Just go with the flow man and have fun!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Since you're playing such a good song, just feel the music and you'll be fine. Once you actually get started, the nerves will start to fade away.

I remember my first gig I was with my friend and we were on acoustic guitars, Fade to Black was one of the songs I played as well, so I know lol!
I'm gonna have my first gig this summer, so I posted a forum just liked this last week. The advice I got was just have fun, if you go out there nervous, and not confident, you'll suck, you just will. If you go out there confident, and go out there jumping around having fun, you'll do amazing. Remember, showmanship is half of a live performance.
Avenged Sevenfold. November 10, 2007
BB King. December 1, 2007
Metallica. November 9, 2008
Avenged Sevenfold. November 23, 2008
Quote by buzzcut
Alright, so Im playing in my freshman talent show this tuesday (im playing fade to black by myself over a backing track) and this will be my first real time playing in front of a lot of people. Any pointers for me?? Im am not nervous right now, but Im sure I will be shitting my pants come tuesday. How do I stay calm? I know the music really, really well, but I am just terrified of freezing halfway through and forgeting everything. So please, give me some advice, and if you want, share about your first time.

The nervousness is probably going to get worse, especially due to the fact that you are playing alone in front of YOUR WHOLE SCHOOL. Did I say alone...j/k
Don't sweat it man. Like one guy said, just imagine your playing by yourself, and FOCUS.
Stay focused on the music. You'll do fine. If you pull it off(which you will), you will get girls coming to you left right and center.
Be cool.
And remember, a lot of people at your school's talent show probably don't play guitar, or even know the song for that matter. Don't fret; if you mess up on a chord or two, it won't be a huge deal. It's a talent show at your school. In the grand scheme of things, this isn't a big performance so don't worry.

Good luck, man.
, ladies.
thanks for the comments you guys. You really made me feel confident. Im now feel exited for tuesday!
Quote by buzzcut
thanks for the comments you guys. You really made me feel confident. Im now feel exited for tuesday!

When the girls come up to you after your done, just act like it was nothing.
Be cool.
Dude its normal to be nervous on your first gig. Just remember, the audience isnt gonna just be waiting for you to mess up, and if you do, just keep playing, they probably wont even notice. Just remember, if it was you in the audience and you were watching sum1 play and they messed up, it isnt that bad, so others wont think its bad if you mess up. Trust me dude.
Quote by guitar-lover34
Dude its normal to be nervous on your first gig. Just remember, the audience isnt gonna just be waiting for you to mess up, and if you do, just keep playing, they probably wont even notice. Just remember, if it was you in the audience and you were watching sum1 play and they messed up, it isnt that bad, so others wont think its bad if you mess up. Trust me dude.

Well, it depends on how badly he messes up. Like, a simple chord or note no one will notice or if they do, won't care about. But if he completely freezes etc. then I think he has a problem.
Be cool.
in my personal opinion, that bit of stomache ache you get is the best. After that, the relief that it is over is better than any kind of drug. I wouldn't recommend it during surgery or anything, but man that's the best part. Most of the time (even if you don't know the music that well it tends to come to you when you need it) time flies. Just remeber have fun.
leave me alone, please.
Yeah Thedude051 is right, but whatever you do dont freeze up just keep going after when you mees up
Well the first time I played a real gig, I wasn't really nervous. Maybe it's b/c I play in concert band in school (but I get nervous b/c im' not as comfortable w/that music) But we played "Holiday" By Green Day. I was jumping up and down and running around before we went on, it was quite exciting. If you know the music well and such you should be fine as long as you are ..."ready" to play I'm sure it'll be agreat crowd, talent shows normally are. The one I was nervous for though was when I did a drum solo...My band was going to play but they just couldn't get the song ready and it was a last moment thing...But I made it b/c I didn't even see the crowd...First there was no crowd b/c most of it was 13 yr old girls singing then me last...I played w/my eyes closed and when I did open then There was a huge crowd cheering...Just .."feel" the music and you'll be fine basically
Quote by noah22791
Fender is bringing out a model called a Stratocaster

and Gibson is bringing out something called a Les Paul.

LOL HAHAHAHA...I thought it was funny....
um, i dont know if this will happen to you, butr i get a hudge boner whenever im on a stage. so, ah, where your guitar LOW