My guitar has a bunch of caked on dirt from playing it so much, all in the frets on the neck. How can I clean this off?
I scratch it off with a pick.

KaPow!
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
You can use a cloth and something like Lemon Oil which can be purchased at most music stores.
███
██████████
███████████
██████
████████
If your fretboard is maple, don't use lemon oil on it .
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
If your fretboard is maple, don't use lemon oil on it .

Just curious.. why?
███
██████████
███████████
██████
████████
Quote by Ex'sAndOh's
Just curious.. why?

Maple fretboards have a varnish on them, the lemon oil will screw with it.

You can use the same stuff that you use to clean the rest of your guitar with on a maple fretboard.
Quote by utsapp89
don't go overboard with the oil on a rosewood fretboard either. too much moisturization is not good for the instrument.

depending on how caked the grime is, you may be able to get away with a good rubdown with the cloth. if we're talking 10 year old gunk, though, you can go buy some 0000 (very very fine) steel wool, remove the strings, and carefullygo over the fretboard width-wise. This will also polish the frets. When you're done, a quick run lwngthwise will remove any scratches that might have shown up in the wood fromt he steel wool.

CAUTION: Be very careful around your guitar's finish while doing this. Take your time. Also, if you're not comfortable with pulling all your strings off at once (like if you have a flaoting tremolo such as a floyd rose) don't do this.

DISCLAIMER: I don't own any guitars with a maple fretboard so I don't know if this is a suitable approach on those guitars but I would assume that it is NOT.
Toothbrush during the next string change??
Ibanez RGA 121 PAF Pro/Evolution 2
Blackheart Little Giant
EH Nano Metal Muff
that's a great idea, as long as it doesn't have toothpaste residue or water in it. Oh, an ascendency, you might want to run a cleaning cloth over your strings as well to wipe any grime off those if you're nto going to be changing them. They will tend to collect grime underneath over time which will dull the sound.
Cleaning Fretboards
What you need:
- 0000 grade steel wool or 3M Sanding Sponges (Fine/Extra Fine)
- Lighter fluid or 100% rubbing alcohol
- Soft toothbrush
- Clean cotton rag
- Bore/Lemon oil
- Lots of elbow grease & patience

*It is way more easier to clean all your fretboards if you take it out from the body 1st and putting it on the table or if you think its too much hassle assembling it back, then you can just leave it there.

Cleaning the fretboard:
1) Unstring - duh!
2) Use the Sanding Sponges or 0000 grade steel wool & rub gently over the frets, careful not to go against the grains, always make parallel contact with it
3) Clean 1 fret at a time, not going up and down throughout the fretboard
4) Rub gently across the frets, too much pressure isnt necessary as it will ruin the grains
5) Moving to the inlay area, depending on the dirtiness, you can use a thin pick as a scrape to scrape around the inlays
6) If the dirt still remains, then use lighter fluid/rubbing alcohol to remove it
7) Apply some lighter fluid and using the toothbrush, just brush at the sides of the frewires to remove the dirt accumulated at the crack (you dont have to worry about going against the grains on this one)
4) If you're happy with it, then you can now apply bore/lemon oil onto the fretboard, you can just drip some onto the freboard (which i do) and wipe gloss or apply to clean rag 1st -be careful not to use your fingernails as it will leave scratchmarks-
5) If you're not quite happy with it yet, repeat step #6 with toothbrush with applying a bit more force
6) Leave to air dry overnight

Before (rosewood):

Before (maple):

After (rosewood):

After (maple):

Tips* Its not recommended to use alcohol/lighter fluid on maple fretboards but i find it pretty hard to remove the stain so a little wouldnt hurt

Helpful Website:
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/grunge/grunge_1.htm

------------------------------------------ madpickin03®------------------------------------------
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Dude there is this cleaner called fast fret cleaner or sumthing like that idk I'll get back to you on it, well anyways it made for that specific job you want to do. its not very expensive, and is sold at most music stores. Check it out!