In the next couple of months im going to be purchasing another guitar, and i'm looking to get an amp with it.

I was thinking about getting these 2 items from my local Guitar Center shop.

Gibson Les Paul Faded - $799 on sale (regularly $1200)

http://www.gibson.com/Products/GibsonElectric/Gibson%20Electric%20Guitars/LesPaul/Double%20Cuts/Faded%20Double%20Cut/

Along with this Amp...

Line 6 Spider III 30 - $199 ( Regularly $280)

http://line6.com/spideriii/30.html

Any comments would be appreciated
My guitar is not a thing. It is an extension of myself. It is who i am.
I'd say you're doing things back to front- better to spend say $600-$700 on the amp, and about $300-$400 on the guitar- you'll get much better tone that way.

What's your current rig, and what music do you normally play?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nope.

First off, that guitar can be had HERE for $770.

Secondly, that amp is crappy.

What's your budget and what music do you play?

KaPow!
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I play mostly metal like Black Sabbath and Metallica along with Led Zeppelin.

I play some blues sometimes also, like along the lines of Buddy Guy.

My Budget is around $1000, preferrably nothing over.

Also I probably should have mentioned I tried out the Gibson Faded along with that exact amp today and it sounded great and what I was looking for. I just wanted all of your opinions.
What gear do you have now?

If you play a lot of metal, I'd probably recommend a guitar with humbuckers, not P90s.

Ampwise, you should go tube.

Maybe a Peavey Valveking or Randall RG50TC?

I'll be back to this thread later when I get home .
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
You shouldn't play a $1000 guitar thru a $200 amp, unless it's a Silvertone piggyback that you stole at a garage sale.

I agree with all of those who'll jump in here and tell you to put the majority of your budget towards the better amp. Preferably something tube driven.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
The line six spider III is a beast. but get something bigger- 75-150 watts, with maybe a guitar in the 300-400 dollar range.
Quote by jer35
The line six spider III is a beast. but get something bigger- 75-150 watts, with maybe a guitar in the 300-400 dollar range.

No.

No.

No.

You do NOT want to be gigging with a Spyder. The only Spyder that should EVER be bought is the 15 watter, and it should ONLY be used as a practice amp.

Cranked Spyders sound HORRENDOUS (understatement!).

Go tube, and never look back.
Quote by utsapp89
I forgot to mention, its $515 at my Guitar Center.
^Gotta love that guitar, but if I were you, I'd spend more (if not close to the same) on the amp. In the end, the sound you're looking for more comes from the amp. Spiders are hated on a lot, and have a bad rep. I know I don't like them.
Quote by tronsbasscool
This is my 5th account and I still havn't made any friends

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
Tube amp my man! Lower end tube amps are good but lack the clarity and tone of more expensive ones. But still tube.
Oh, and also, im thinking a smaller less watt amp might be better, because really the only place I play my guitar is in my house and not very loud at that.

Really I just want to have a nice guitar that plays well. The amp doesnt really have to be phenominal, just something that gives me a nice metal sound and I can jam to. My room isnt very big so I dont have room or the living conditions to have a huge amp that will blow the door off of my room.

Im not too educated on amps here so what does it mean if its got 30 Watt 100 Watt and others, does it sound nicer when there are more Watts?
Agile AL-4000 Red
~$600

Crate V16 Palomino
~$400

With that pair you'll be tonally pleased for years to come.

The size of the amp has little to do with the tonal qualities; while it's true that larger amps (in the same model line) generally sound better it's definently not always the case. The amp I'm recommending is an all A-Class tube amp, which means that it'll have eargasm worthy tone. I've cranked Palominos gain and rolled back the mids a little at Guitar Center and they do metal roughly as well as I would ever want to (a respectable Metallica-like distortion). Cleaned up or doing lower gain they're downright hevenly.
Last edited by RadioMuse at Mar 11, 2007,
Invest in a better amp. THEN get a guitar.
Quote by Kanthras
Since there is no such thing as perfect tone, and every rig has differences (however slight they may be), I hereby declare this claim as bullshit.
Well, in your case, you could always get a Crate RFX65, a Sustainer Pedal, and a nice guitar.

That's what rig I have. (substitue the 65 for a 120. Just an increase in power, not sound.) I play a lot of Metallica and heavy metal and it sounds great for it. It still retains a lot of quality for me to play other genre stuff too, like blues. Click here for a preview.
Quote by tronsbasscool

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
Actually, I called my friend up who is also a guitarist and asked what kind of Amp he has and he actually has the Line 6 Spider III 75, which is very coincidental and convienent for me. I think I'll take my microphone and guitar over there tomorrow or Monday and try it out more in depth and record a few songs on there and i'll find a way to post it on here, so you all can analyze the sound a bit more.
I've had the "luxury" of playing on a few of the Spyders IIIs for an extended period of time (my buddy works at a guitar store where I live and I just go down there whenever I want to relax or anything and test things out however I see fit).

They are digital amps; and you can tell by the tone.

Try to see if you can direct compare one with a Roland Cube (set on recto) and then next to a nice high gain tube amp.

Having a trained ear is very important if you are going to be laying down some serious cash on your gear.

If you have your heart set on getting the Spyder, just get the 15 watt version. It's all you'll need for what you want it to do.

Wattage is a rough equivalent to how loud the amp can get before it starts clipping. Solid state clipping is very harsh and sounds very bad, while tube amp clipping is very smooth and sexy sounding. Tube watts are also louder to the ear than solid state watts. 15-30 tube watts will suit gigging just fine based upon how many speakers you have and what kind of sound you're going for.

If you're just going to be playing in your room, maybe take a look at the various computer audio interfaces that use your computer as an amp. These also make it easier to record. I have a Line 6 Toneport UX2 and am pleased with it.

Just promise that you won't buy a Spyder III that is more than 15 watts. YOU WILL REGRET IT. No matter how much you think you love your buddy's tone and no matter how much he'll talk about how awesome the amp is; down the the line when you realize that a tube amp is what you want (and it will happen) you'll kick yourself for wasting money on some huge digital monstrosity.
Quote by utsapp89
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Mar 11, 2007,
invest in a nice amp first (TUBE) because that is were most of your sounds are coming from then later you should buy a mid range guitar. PS don't go with spider i have one and its not excactly what i thought it was going to be.
Gear:
Epi les paul custom white
Fender hot rod deluxe
Jimi Hendrix wah
EHX big muff pi
Boss DS-1
Monster cables
Quote by silentscope1234
Im not too educated on amps here so what does it mean if its got 30 Watt 100 Watt and others, does it sound nicer when there are more Watts?

not necessarily. a lot of the cheaper amps give the higher-wattage amps more features to try to con you into buying them.

At the end of the day, what's important is the tone. If you're going with something tube and are only playing at home, the lower the wattage the better, as long as it'll do the tone you want.

It's definitely a good idea to try your friend's spider III. I'd agree with facing us all, though- the 15 watt spider III can be a good idea because it's cheapish. But the higher wattage ones are expensive enough that you'll be pissed if and when you grow out of it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Mate listen to these guys.
I've played a spider before, they're digital sounding and over processed, they suck all the tone out of your gear.
If you're going to a get a gibby, at least get a valve amp to compliment it.
Okay back guys. I went over my friends house who has the line 6 Spider III 75. I recorded some audio, but had to record it onto video due to sound problems.

So listen to the different sound and tell me what you think. PLEASE ONLY RATE THE SOUND, NOT MY PLAYING. I dont consider myself horrible but I dont need people saying " oh you did this wrong, do this instead".

In the first video from 00:00 to 00:42 I'm using the "clean" setting with no effects used, although it sounds like it has a natural flange to it. From 00:44 to 01:00 Im using the "crunch" setting with no effects, I really didnt see much use for this except for when I was tuned to for kasmir. From 01:01 to 01:23 Im using the "Metal" setting, it sounded good when used with the right song. Then Everything after that is on the " Insane" setting, which I would be using the most. I really enjoyed the full sound I got when I cranked the volume up 3/4 of the way, although my ears were ringing afterward. The palm muting sounded great on it also.

On the second video, im using the "insane" setting all the way through.

http://media.putfile.com/Line-6-Spider-III-Test-1

http://media.putfile.com/Line-6-Spider-III-Test-2
Does that really sound good to you? I thought the cleans were horrible, and the Back in Black bit in the middle also sounded crap. The insane setting you plan on using most of the time sounded like sandy mud to me.

Do you really intend to play a $1000 guitar thru that thing?

All you've done is re-affirm for me that I would never, ever buy one of those amps. So thanks for that.

(Sorry to be so harsh, but I really hope for your sake that you don't wind up with this piece of crap!)
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Can you guys suggest any amps around the price of no more than $300 with some metal effects built into it like the Line 6 had. I'm going to be buying my guitar within the next 2 weeks and would like to have some idea of an amp to get.
Look at Crates. Like 65 watters. I use mine for metal.
Quote by tronsbasscool

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
Quote by silentscope1234
Can you guys suggest any amps around the price of no more than $300 with some metal effects built into it like the Line 6 had. I'm going to be buying my guitar within the next 2 weeks and would like to have some idea of an amp to get.

roland cube?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by silentscope1234
Okay back guys. I went over my friends house who has the line 6 Spider III 75. I recorded some audio, but had to record it onto video due to sound problems.

So listen to the different sound and tell me what you think. PLEASE ONLY RATE THE SOUND, NOT MY PLAYING. I dont consider myself horrible but I dont need people saying " oh you did this wrong, do this instead".

In the first video from 00:00 to 00:42 I'm using the "clean" setting with no effects used, although it sounds like it has a natural flange to it. From 00:44 to 01:00 Im using the "crunch" setting with no effects, I really didnt see much use for this except for when I was tuned to for kasmir. From 01:01 to 01:23 Im using the "Metal" setting, it sounded good when used with the right song. Then Everything after that is on the " Insane" setting, which I would be using the most. I really enjoyed the full sound I got when I cranked the volume up 3/4 of the way, although my ears were ringing afterward. The palm muting sounded great on it also.

On the second video, im using the "insane" setting all the way through.

http://media.putfile.com/Line-6-Spider-III-Test-1

http://media.putfile.com/Line-6-Spider-III-Test-2

yeah, the clean sounded like it had chorus on it or something... i thought the cleans weren't too bad, I didn't like the back in black tone or smoke on the water tone, though. The insane setting was better than the crunch tone, IMO, but still wasn't amazing.

To be honest, it really depends what you're after, and what you like. Make sure, if at all possible, to try something like a roland cube as well, it's one of its main rivals. Vox Valvetronix too.

Also, unless you're planning on gigging, i'd seriously consider one of the cheapest spiders (the 15 watt), that way you haven't wasted a load of money on something that, in all probability, you'll grow out of. Same goes for the valvetronix and cube, though with the cube you need to go for the 30 watter, as the 15 watter doesn't have the cool amp models (or else go with the microcube).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
wow man, I didn't expect the Spiders to be that bad...

anyways a Roland Cube might be better,
but if you really like then go ahead and buy it...