So would it be better to put a T.O.M. on a strat and just get rid of the trem (which goes out of tune and is pretty much useless for me) or just block it off? I don't care how hard it is.
Didn't you already make a thread about this?
I wouldn't do it a TOM, because there's a bit more than just filling the cavity. You'd also need to angle the neck pocket to get the right string tension.
Here's a tut on filling the cavity:
http://projectguitar.com/tut/tht1.htm

Blocking it off sounds like it would fix your problems, anyway. I'd just do that.
Angle the neck pocket? Explain please.
See the thing is, this strat was my very first electric guitar. All I ever do is screw around with it. I am about to replace the T.O.M. on my Les paul style guitar with a better one, and put the old one on my strat. But I have decided something.
What would be better. Put on a T.O.M., or route out and put on a Floyd.(the only trem I like).
Last edited by rockr09 at Mar 10, 2007,
^ Or the threadstarter could just block the trem. It's what Clapton did. Plus it's super easy, and costs a maximum of 15 bucks.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by Will_Minus
^ Or the threadstarter could just block the trem. It's what Clapton did. Plus it's super easy, and costs a maximum of 15 bucks.

15 bucks? , a block of wood will do
O just blocking the tremolo is just too easy. I'd much rather put in a T.O.M. with ferrules for ****s and giggles... and knowlege on how to do it.
I know, but I just want to for some reason, it isn't like I play this guitar everyday or something. How much of an angle should it be?
You don't need to have the neck angled for a TOM, you can just resses the bridge by routing a channel for it to sit in to get it to the correct hight

http://www.carvin.com/features/guitars/ scrole down a little and theres an example of this
Official member #3 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join. Luthier's only .
not really if its already routed flat... why bother making a new template for it and setting it all up to rout it at the right angle when you can just rout one straight line and drill a couple of holes and your sorted, easy as hell really.
Official member #3 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join. Luthier's only .
not that deep 5mm or so depends on the TOM you get
the strings should hit the same place as the old ones, or you can get fancy with it.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!