How do I know what chord progression would sound good behind a riff? Hmm like if I played something like this:

Example : "Still Beats your name Riff" - Killswitch Engage (CGCFAD)
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------9-9-9-9-10-10-10-10--|
|------10---8------------------------------------------------------------x-x-x-x---x---x---x--x---|
|------------------12---10---8---10-12-10-8-------12---10---8---7-7-7-7---8---8--8--8---|
|-8-8-----8---8------8----8---8-----------------8-8-----8-----8--8------------------------------|
. . . . . . . . . . . .

|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------9-9-9-9-10-10-10-10--|
|-?-----------------------?-------------------------?---------------------x-x-x-x---x---x---x--x---|
|-?-----------------------?-------------------------?---------------------7-7-7-7---8---8--8--8---|
|-?-----------------------?-------------------------?--------------------------------------------------|

What power chords would go in the question mark area, And how would you figure this out? Thanks for your time
for a riff like that, just look at what chords are implied in the tab...

for the first one, probably a C power chord on the 8th fret of your E string. You could definitely get away with doing that for the rest, since the whole riff is just the C note, it's octave, it's fifth , and it's sixth when you go up to the 12th fret there, and a fourth when you go to the 8th fret on the A string...

Unless you'd like to play barre chords that could be like, sus4, or major 6th chords...

edit... sorry, didn't notice the tuning. assume it's in standard when you read my advice.
8, 12, 8 i think
but i not playin my guitar
so idk how it sounds
just use the first note of each section usually, not a grace note though
Quote by metaldud536
Because there is a bomb in the lasagna!

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
make loud howling noises and throw your feces at them whenever they bring it up, I suggest that your GF does the same.
Ohh I see so on a riff like that, When the Muted notes change , Say from 8 to 5 on the low E string (C) Then the chord would just switch from G#5 to F5:

G#5 ThenF5
C|-8--------5--|
G|-8--------5--|
C|-8--------5--|

That seems pretty simple, Thanks for the help