I'm currently eyeing the Composition, Contemporary Writing and Production and Film Scoring courses at Berklee. Although it's highly unlikely that I'll apply, let alone be accepted, I'm curious as to how credible the institution actually is as a whole, but especially in the three aspects listed above.

Is it extremely difficult to be accepted? Also, is a place at Berklee something to be respected, or is it nowhere near as reputable as attending a music course elsewhere?
My guitar teacher went there and he said it's not unbelievably hard to get in but since it's a private school, you need money.
Berklee is an incredibly respected music school, I'd say the only thing more immpressive would be Julliard (sp?)
Julliard is way more reputable than Berklee in the music world.

Btw, FYI, Berklee's admittance rate for prospective students is 42%.
Last edited by yawn at Mar 10, 2007,
its a very highly respected institution, and its a great school imo. i took a tour of it last summer, and am thinking of jazz composition. i took a peak into the film scoring labs and DAYYYUMMM theyve got some state of the art equipment. on getting accepted, send in your standard application, and youll have to audition. the audition should be a breeze, so long as you can site read pretty fluently, and have some decent ear training.
Quote by yawn
Julliard is way more respectable than Berklee in the music world.

Btw, FYI, Berklee's admittance rate for prospective students is 42%.

Woah, where'd you find the statistics? I apologize for my ignorance, but I'm not located in the US, hence this topic. Is Berklee any near as prestigious as it's made out to be, or is it more like a private contemporary music institution that too many guitarists attempt to audition for?

The reason I ask is that there's a music school reputed to be full of "musicians" who can't even play instruments; the degree is supposedly worthless, but you wouldn't realize that unless somebody told you before you applied, since the website seems somewhat professional. I know Berklee's standards won't be as low as that, but it leads me to wonder if it's actually as awesome as all the hype makes it out to be.

Regarding the 42% admittance rate, approximately how many apply each year? That should put things more into perspective.

Thanks for the replies so far!

EDIT: Oh, and are there any advantages or disadvantages for international applicants? For example, are there reserved places for international students?

Any information on the composition and film scoring courses would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by zephyrclaw at Mar 10, 2007,
i actually met a guy the other night who attends berklee. he has played with K.C. and the Sunshine band and the allman bros. he said at his audition someone played an arppegio on a piano and he had to play it back by ear within a couple seconds.
i play drums and guitar :
Here is a page with some statistics:
http://education.yahoo.com/college/facts/5330.html

I've done some of there programs, it would not be worth going to college there if you just play guitar. If you want to be some sort of maestro or compose music for orchestras or even be some type of sound tech, then you might consider it. Otherwise, it is just a waste of your money.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
Quote by zephyrclaw
Woah, where'd you find the statistics? I apologize for my ignorance, but I'm not located in the US, hence this topic. Is Berklee any near as prestigious as it's made out to be, or is it more like a private contemporary music institution that too many guitarists attempt to audition for?

The reason I ask is that there's a music school reputed to be full of "musicians" who can't even play instruments; the degree is supposedly worthless, but you wouldn't realize that unless somebody told you before you applied, since the website seems somewhat professional. I know Berklee's standards won't be as low as that, but it leads me to wonder if it's actually as awesome as all the hype makes it out to be.

Regarding the 42% admittance rate, approximately how many apply each year? That should put things more into perspective.

Thanks for the replies so far!

EDIT: Oh, and are there any advantages or disadvantages for international applicants? For example, are there reserved places for international students?

Any information on the composition and film scoring courses would be greatly appreciated.
Well, essentially, Berklee was the first music school created with the intent of focusing on contemporary music, so it may be looked at with some degree of disdain from more orthodox schools like Julliard that focus primarily on classical music.

As for international students, Berklee has quite a few. 26% of its student body come from over 70 non-US countries. So, although I don't think there are any reserved places, you at least definitely won't be considered an "unusual nuisance".

Edit: The link in the above post has good info ;]
dream theater
pat metheny
dillinger escape plan

and many others went to berklee.
^ Though, all of Dream Theater dropped out.

Last edited by yawn at Mar 10, 2007,
Quote by E Daws
Here is a page with some statistics:
http://education.yahoo.com/college/facts/5330.html

I've done some of there programs, it would not be worth going to college there if you just play guitar. If you want to be some sort of maestro or compose music for orchestras or even be some type of sound tech, then you might consider it. Otherwise, it is just a waste of your money.

What programs did you attend, E Daws? Guitar isn't my only instrument, as I also play piano. I'm actually classically-trained and can read music, sight-read, etc. My theory somewhat "sucks", to put it one way, since I haven't taken any exams yet, but that's something I can easily work on. It's not to say that I don't know any theory; I'm just not formally qualified yet.

However, while it might seem that I have the right training, I don't know if I'm really music career material. My style of composition, while not minimalistic, is quite simple and I haven't studied orchestration for many years, or anything like that. It really depends on how open-minded the course is, and what standard they expect.

The ideal course would support composition in a variety of genres, not just orchestral pieces, classical imitations and avant-garde experimentations. How's the Berklee film scoring course? Is it open to many different types of composers, or is it an "Imitate John Williams' Orchestral Work For Dummies" class?
Quote by yawn
^ Though, all of Dream Theater dropped out.

They kinda had a good reason.

I am planning on attending Berklee. I am going to a summer course there this summer (no shit). I am hopefully going to get better at site reading then I'll be a sure shot to get in.
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Fender American FSR Mahog. Chambered Tele 60th
Fender Mexican Strat SD Hot Rails Br/Ne
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone