I have a nice tube amp and have heard great things about tubescreamers. I know they overdrive the amp, but for that, why not just turn up the volume? does a tubescreamer add anything besides a boost?
can sum1 explain what the tube screamer is doing?
what models/brands should i look at?
thanks
Quote by beeboshain
marshall mg100dfx some people slay but i love it, think its a good amp for the money and you cant go wrong with marshall...its english!
it boosts your amp so it produces a natural overdrive
that works best with tube amps
because tube saturation/overdrive just sounds the best

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
It doesn't really 'boost' your amp. If you want to boost your amp, get a pedal such as the Micro Amp.

It just gives your amp an OD sound.
Sent from my iPad.
you can use it as a booster though

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
how does it overdrive the amp without boosting the volume
Quote by beeboshain
marshall mg100dfx some people slay but i love it, think its a good amp for the money and you cant go wrong with marshall...its english!
Ugh.

A Tubescreamer SIMULATES a tube amp's natural overdrive. It is NOT a booster pedal, though you can turn down the overdrive knob and pretend that it is.

They work just fine on SS amps, too.

The myth just won't die here on UG.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by libskate44
how does it overdrive the amp without boosting the volume

it's a diode clipping circuit using "soft clipping" to emulate the sound of a cranked tube amp overdrive as you turn up the gain. You could play it thru a clean channel and get strictly the overdrive from the pedal alone. You can also use it to boost, or layer gain on an already dirty channel, depending how you use the settings.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
so its not actually helping to overdrive the amp?
its just simulating an overdrive?
Quote by beeboshain
Quote by libskate44
so its not actually helping to overdrive the amp?
its just simulating an overdrive?

Correct.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
so ripoff?
Quote by beeboshain
well, you can crank up the level, and it can act similar to a signal boost for the preamp that way. The gain can shape it from a semi clean to dirty boost. The only way to get powertube overdrive is by having the tubes working hard to power speakers, and that takes a lot of volume. It can really work well in combination however, you can add some dirt and boost to the signal going to the preamp, and then play the amp loud enough where you get powertube overdrive on top of it. Think SRV. It can also work well to add some grit and edginess on an already dirty channel(lead channel) for metal, think Killswitch Engage, Nevermore, etc.. Andy Sneap uses it in a lot of his production as a "tone tightener".
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Mar 10, 2007,
Quote by libskate44
so ripoff?

Oh no! Far from it! I have the Ibanez TS808 re-issue, and it's an outstanding pedal. Real warm, smooth overdrive sound. It's just not over-driving my amp, that's all. I can get that sweet OD sound at comfortable volumes if I want, and I love it over my amp's natural OD as Erock mentioned, too.

People confuse it with a booster pedal, which is designed to push your amp harder. And frankly, if anything's a ripoff, I'd say it's the boosters. You can use a tubescreamer, or any pedal with a volume control, as a boost. Lots of people use an EQ pedal that way.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I prefer the Maxon versions (OD-808 or OD-9). Tubescreamers are actually one of the only true OD's that emulate a tube amp's natural overdrive enough to getting away with people (including myself) thinking your amp is cranked. I couldn't live without mine.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
^^ I've heard that the Maxons are simply amazing, but I haven't had a chance to try one out. And I also couldn't like without my tubescreamer.

I usually run my ts808 as a solo pedal over the dirty channel. It gives me the exact lead tone I want. Sometimes I also use it over a clean to just add a little bit of dirt to it, like if I would have my amp just where it starting to break up. It really helps when I'm not able to crank my amp.
Quote by slatsmania
Ugh.

A Tubescreamer SIMULATES a tube amp's natural overdrive. It is NOT a booster pedal, though you can turn down the overdrive knob and pretend that it is.

That's how I use mine. It makes my amp overdrive a bit more than it would by just turning up the volume, and it adds some middy fatness.
awesome
so which model/brand should i go for?
is it worth the extra for an ibanez ts-808?
Quote by beeboshain
Quote by libskate44
awesome
so which model/brand should i go for?
is it worth the extra for an ibanez ts-808?

No. It looks a bit nicer, but sound-wise it's almost identical to the TS9. The Maxon OD9 would be a better choice, because it is more like the original TS808 and it's true bypass too.
^thanks
Quote by beeboshain
Quote by mr_hankey
No. It looks a bit nicer, but sound-wise it's almost identical to the TS9. The Maxon OD9 would be a better choice, because it is more like the original TS808 and it's true bypass too.

I beg to differ....

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

^reasons please?
Quote by beeboshain