*Due to the lack of jazz fans in Cover Songs we have posted this here also*

This combo, Unit 7, between me and Zeppelin256 just recorded So What by Miles Davis. We just did this quick recording in one take straight through the amp to a mic to the computer, so the quality ain't so great. Hope you all enjoy.

P.S. Comments are gladly welcome.

http://unit7.dmusic.com/music/
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
Theres a slide in the bass line in the head that you're missing, and I think it would be cool to have one person play the bassline and the other play the chords. Solos are very good, I'm really digging rhythm playing. The last solo is good, but I would work on more ideas, I'm not diggin it as much as the first, and another idea is to only play the head at the beginning and end.
Thanks for the comments, we did originally play it as one with the bass line and the other the chords I don't really know why I decided to play along with the bass line. Also thanks for the comments on the solo 1st solo-VR2005 2nd Solo- Zeppelin256. Also the rhythm idea was from Zeppelin. Of course, this was a first take thing and we didn't get a chance to record it with our bassist and drummer, which when we do will make it sound much better.

If anyone is curious, we both played through a fender hot rod deluxe to a Shure SM57 to audacity. It was all played on one track so there was no editing.

Thanks for the comment and hopefully some more people will keep the comments coming.

EDIT: We will be recording another version of this next weekend with some help from you guys to make it sound better. We will possibly have a bass sound in there and maybe some drums.

Last edited by VR2005 at Mar 11, 2007,
listening now...

the solo has some pretty cool melodic ideas, although like me and many other other jazz n00bs, the chord changes break up your solo too much. it's hard to keep a nice line or even pause flowing over the change. the first solo was nicer than the second. of course, it is much more inspirational to play with a full band, bc nice drums and piano really give you rhythmic ideas to kick back, so nice job guys.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
the intro sounds really cool, the rythm during the first solo (and the first solo) are really good, but on the second solo, both sound a little off,
Yeah I definitely messed up on the rhythm during the second solo, but as I said we plan on recording a much better version next weekend.

Thanks all for the comments, hell keep them coming.

Yeah, thanks for the feedback so far everyone.

I did kind of screw up the second solo, but oh well - it was only one take. It should be much better the next time we record it. I think I'm gonna stick with the bassline until I take a solo, and hopefully we'll eventually get to record with the whole ensemble.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
The only thing I would mention is that the notes in the intro should be more clear. I'm terrible at explaining things so you might not understand what I'm saying. It sounds like both of you are playing it, so maybe just have one person play the intro, in my opinion it might sound better. But other than that, awesome job!
Quote by jazkel24

Any bands you're trying to copy/sound like?
Yeah, I see where you're coming from and that's what we originally did. It was kind of wierd, for some reason I just decided to play along with the bassline right when we started to record, but we'll definitely have some of those kinks out the next time we record it. Keep the comments coming.

I really enjoyed that. I think the actual song is a bit slower, but that faster pace makes soloing a lot easier. The ideas can just flow out. But like those other guys said, awesome rhythm going on. Keep it up.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Yeah the song is about 150 bpm and we played it around 176 bpm for kicks, it's just a fun song to play at a bit of a faster tempo. Thanks for the comments, and as I've said before keep 'em coming.

It sounded pretty good, but It would greatly benefit from a a drum/bass (both would be best) foundation to keep the rhythm solid the whole time. Also, the break where you played a version of the head threw me off a bit. The ending didn't really do it for me either, having listening to the real recording a bunch.

+1 To the suggestion to play the slide in the head.
+1 To having 1 person playing the bassline and the other the chords.

One minor thing, in the head, when it changes to Eb, there's no bum bum bum be dum part, if you know what i mean. It keeps the rhythm the same during the whole B section.

(I'm not trying to be overly critical, just helpful.)
Oh, of course, I understand where you're coming from and these critiques are just what will make it better so it is completly welcome.

As we said we will re-record it with a bass and drums this upcoming weekend. As for the middle part with the head between the solos, we just wanted to restate the melody, as that is the most important part of the song, but we didn't want to take up too much time so we shortened it. Pertaining to the ending, it was just something to seperate the song from the original version as to not completly copy the song so we could make it a nice unique version.

We are planning on doing the slide next time and the bassline for one and chords for the other.

I know exactly where you are talking about, and that was more of a lazy thing on my part as Zeppelin noticed this and told me before we recorded I just kept it more straightforward. I'll definitely remember to keep the rhythm the same next time.

Thanks a lot for the comments they are completly welcome.

eh, it was a first take.

really want to hear this cos I've tried to play it on the guitar and all I do sil play along with the cd cos I don't really know how it could be possible to put it together with my friends guitarists
but I got no headphones now I'll come back to it later
do u just play the chords like Em the first etc
and then do u use the modes he used ?
Nice, it's faster than the original, but still good.
brnh.bandcamp.com
It's really sweet. Not the best, but not the worst I've heard either.

Keep on truckin' guys!
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
Thanks for all the feedback. I think we might rerecord it this weekend with drums and possibly bass. I'll guess that it'll be a little bit slower and tighter.
Quote by guitar_god22

Quote by RyanInChains9
It seems like Johnny is asking a question about the modes used. Well I didn't really use any modes except D dorian to start and then i went in the D harmonic minor scale for a lot of my solo and used a couple arps like F maj7 arp and such.

Quote by VR2005
It seems like Johnny is asking a question about the modes used. Well I didn't really use any modes except D dorian to start and then i went in the D harmonic minor scale for a lot of my solo and used a couple arps like F maj7 arp and such.

thanks for the tip now I've got something to start with ! Is there a way I could post some jazz standards I play with my friends ? Just to get an Idea if we are good or not ?
Quote by Johnny Vodka
thanks for the tip now I've got something to start with ! Is there a way I could post some jazz standards I play with my friends ? Just to get an Idea if we are good or not ?

Well, if you can post some of your music, feel free - I'm sure we'd all like to hear it. That is, of course, assuming that you can record you and your friends playing.
Quote by guitar_god22

Quote by RyanInChains9